How much power will i lose at 8,000 ft?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
How much power will I lose going from sea level to 8,000 feet?
A lot, do you think?

As posted before, I'm going to give you my "butt-dyno" version of altitude: After growing up in Denver and being away for about 7 years and living at 1300'.....when we went to Copper Mountain (aprox 9000') last year for the meet & greet, I could not believe the difference. The bike didn't even want to idle at first. Mind you, we had trailered the bikes from Fayetteville so the ecm had not had a chance to re-calibrate. After thirty minutes, the idle did smooth out and it ran ok but the difference in performance was drastic. Down here, I can pull the front wheel from power only in a second gear roll on, up there couldn't get the front wheel off the ground in first without clutch. Stock busa, yoshie slip-ons and 42t rear sprocket. It's not that the busa's aren't fast up there, they are. It's just if a person hasn't experienced the mighty busa at sea level, you have no idea what kind of performance she's really capable of. More useless info from moondog!

Makes me afraid to take mine up into the mountains. I live almost at (maybe 50 feet above) sea level. Just kidding but it is an eye opener for sure. Thats why small planes do so well with turbos!

Turbos and Altitude, "Awwwwwwww" what a difference they'll make
tounge.gif
 Kinda like a Busa with an Attitude at Altitude
laugh.gif

I think it's pretty standard you'll loose about 3% per every 1000'.

It's what makes sea level so much fun.
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, railing in the rockies was a blast, I'd just need to go ghetto if I lived up there all the time...another thing I'd forgot about is the temp difference, about froze my nads off in Copper.....those 7:00 rides were at 49 degrees because of a cold front passing through, even in August. It was really compounded by coming from Arkansas where the daily average is about 1200 degrees.
tounge.gif
The thing I liked best about riding in the mountains, in thin air, was no need to tuck tight at hyper-speed, you can litterally sit straight up at 150 and not feel like you were coming off the bike, really cool! Next time, I'm packin' my own air...it's going to look like a nos tank but upon closer inspection, they will find it hooked up to me!

This is cool info. I live at about 5000' abv sea level in Utah and typically climb to about 7500' during my weekend twistie rides. I want to take a road trip to California and feel the power difference closer to sea level. It should be like adding another 30+hp according to the calculator. Would that 30hp feel like a big difference?

smile.gif

even going to the bash this past spring .... living in tampa and then being at 3k~5K feet made my bike run like crapola..... spewing nearly raw fuel out the back.
every one wanted me to ride in the back of the pack...they said the fumes were nausiating.
I told them it was the chili.
wink.gif

hopefully, that new gadget for the PC will help somewhat....being able to switch maps...I'ld load one for higher altitudes when on cruises that take me there.

shawn, enough difference to make a guy think twice about rolling on the throttle in first gear! You really have to re-think the first two gears. My stock busa with 42t rear will lite the tire or stand straight up rolling on in 1st, depending on heat in the tire, and lift about two feet in a power wheelie, in second.

shawn, enough difference to make a guy think twice about rolling on the throttle in first gear! You really have to re-think the first two gears. My stock busa with 42t rear will lite the tire or stand straight up rolling on in 1st, depending on heat in the tire, and lift about two feet in a power wheelie, in second.
hmm so while everyone else on the planet loses power with altitude....you gain it?

and also your stock busa does 2nd gear "power wheelies"?

wow............................................................................

perhaps you can define you idea of a "power" wheelie?

is it 4:20 where you're at?
rock.gif
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155329658 -->

As posted before, I'm going to give you my "butt-dyno" version of altitude: After growing up in Denver and being away for about 7 years and living at 1300'.....when we went to Copper Mountain (aprox 9000') last year for the meet & greet, I could not believe the difference. The bike didn't even want to idle at first. Mind you, we had trailered the bikes from Fayetteville so the ecm had not had a chance to re-calibrate. After thirty minutes, the idle did smooth out and it ran ok but the difference in performance was drastic. Down here, I can pull the front wheel from power only in a second gear roll on, up there couldn't get the front wheel off the ground in first without clutch. Stock busa, yoshie slip-ons and 42t rear sprocket. It's not that the busa's aren't fast up there, they are. It's just if a person hasn't experienced the mighty busa at sea level, you have no idea what kind of performance she's really capable of. More useless info from moondog!
9000 feet is getting into "I need oxygen" to keep climbing this mountain height. Planes that fly at 10,000 feet are required to have pressurized cabins or oxygen.

damn.....you live above 8000 feet? sheet man... you gotta be the only monk on that mountain with a busa!
laugh.gif

How much power will I lose going from sea level to 8,000 feet?
A lot, do you think?
You will lose a proverbial shidload.........and your gonna hate every second your at that elevation. Elevations that high make EVERYTHING feel slow......unless you started riding the bike at that elevation. Then when you go down to sea level you'll brown your shorts and never wanna go home again
wow.gif

You lose 3% of your hp for every 1000 ft you go up in elevation.

This is cool info.  I live at about 5000' abv sea level in Utah and typically climb to about 7500' during my weekend twistie rides.  I want to take a road trip to California and feel the power difference closer to sea level.  It should be like adding another 30+hp according to the calculator.  Would that 30hp feel like a big difference?

smile.gif
I've done exactly that Shawn...went from 5100 ft to a 100 degree day at sea level.......it doesn't quite feel like 30 hp but pretty darn close. Its a HUGE diff.....and on a cool day/night it woulda been even more.You need to experience it to truly understand. Plus the throttle response hits like RIGHT NOW!!!! I had to relearn how to ride mine it was soo damnnn fast. I couldn't get it wide open much before redline till 3rd gear cause it wanted to wheelstand in first and second. But I have a 16 tooth front sprocket and a few other mods so mine aint' "completely" stock
wink.gif

Being that mine is completley stock, I wonder what it's going to feel like. Well - I'll have to take a road trip to Cali and see sometime. I can't say enough how glad I am I went with a Busa out of all the various bikes on the market.

Back