Hesitation at 140 160 mph

HERO TANK

Registered
hello family. i was just wondering what is wrong with my baby, some time it dont want to go over 150, it start jerking a lil like the govenor kicks in, is this the case? how do i fix this problem? but then sometime it will climb up to 180 no problem. what is going on plz help.:please:

If the problem doesnt happen every time I would say check your plug wires to ensure they are tight and making a good connection....other than that I would say...ummm, don't go that fast:whistle:

More details please. What gear, what rpm? How consistently you are getting the problem? Does FI light comes on even for a moment? What year is the bike? How many miles?

It's important to first figure out whether it's fuel related or electrical.

If the problem doesnt happen every time I would say check your plug wires to ensure they are tight and making a good connection....other than that I would say...ummm, don't go that fast:whistle:

i dont go that fast all the time lol i just want it there when i do want to. thank for the help.

then yes it could be the plugs ,, double check your gap and that they are the corect plug !

if its happ in 4-5-6 its not the govner !

it should not be laying down on you at those rmp ,, if anything you should be fealing it pull harder and harder !

Man, do we have pull all the info from you?

What year is the bike? How many miles? Has the bike seen a lot of humid/hot/cold weather? Does FI light comes on?

You may have a bad connection somewhere, and a certain rpm causes a momentary circuit disconnect. Try going to the same rpm in 1st gear a few times, and see if this happens. If yes, this would confirm a poor connection issue.

To make sure your fuel pump works and the fuel filter is not clogged, disconnect the line, put it in the container, and turn the key to ON (but don't start the bike). This will prime the fuel pump for a couple seconds. See how much fuel comes out. You should get at least 2 oz of fuel. I think the manual says 1200 ml in 30 sec, so do the math. 1 oz is about 28 ml IIRC.

I bet ONE DOLLAR that one of your ignition coils is not completely seated on top of a spark plug and is giving intermittent spark which affects how the engine runs.
Check all coils and make sure they are firmly seated.

Man, do we have pull all the info from you?

What year is the bike? How many miles? Has the bike seen a lot of humid/hot/cold weather? Does FI light comes on?

You may have a bad connection somewhere, and a certain rpm causes a momentary circuit disconnect. Try going to the same rpm in 1st gear a few times, and see if this happens. If yes, this would confirm a poor connection issue.

To make sure your fuel pump works and the fuel filter is not clogged, disconnect the line, put it in the container, and turn the key to ON (but don't start the bike). This will prime the fuel pump for a couple seconds. See how much fuel comes out. You should get at least 2 oz of fuel. I think the manual says 1200 ml in 30 sec, so do the math. 1 oz is about 28 ml IIRC.

its a 2002 when i got the bike it was 2900 miles on it it sat for 8yrs i done all the maintenance my self it has 4500 miles on her now. heres some before and after pics.

first look.jpg

busa rebirth.jpg

spark plug.jpg

sprk.jpg

tanks bike.jpg

Sat for eight years....

Anybody else thinking about a partially clogged fuel injector? That might explain weird behavior - overly lean cylinder impedes flame speed, noticible mostly at sustained high RPMs as occasional misfire?

I'd be pulling lugs to look for a white one. (or a black one, if the intermittent n theory is correct)

Sat for eight years....

Anybody else thinking about a partially clogged fuel injector? That might explain weird behavior - overly lean cylinder impedes flame speed, noticible mostly at sustained high RPMs as occasional misfire?

I'd be pulling lugs to look for a white one. (or a black one, if the intermittent n theory is correct)

how do i check these problems? how can i fix them?

hello family. i was just wondering what is wrong with my baby, some time it dont want to go over 150, it start jerking a lil like the govenor kicks in, is this the case? how do i fix this problem? but then sometime it will climb up to 180 no problem. what is going on plz help.:please:

I'm thinking your baby is saying...

"GET THIS ENORMOUS MASS OF MAN OFF ME!!!!" :please::please:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/132264-picture-yourself-here-11.html - see post 205.

Sorry big fella...couldn't help myself. :rofl::rofl:

I'm thinking one of the plug caps not on all the way too, especially since you just fiddled with 'em.

im still laughing III that was a good one lol. but i notice it does it when im cruising at 45 mph in 2nd and 3rd gear at about 4 or 5 rpms i think it might be a plug im going to check them in the morning. thanks for the help.

how do i check these problems? how can i fix them?
First, get the PDF version for the Busa service manual. Search "Hayabusa manual PDF" and you should find it. It appears that it was removed from our oRg site here, but I'm sure you will find it somewhere using Google.

I recommend pulling all the spark plugs to have a quick look (as I posted earlier). Keep track of the position of each plug as you pull them (label them by each cylinder number).

You can find guides to reading plug condition in any Chilton's, Clymer's, or similar manual you have. Or you can search "read spark plugs" and find lots of examples on the web. Note that these pictures are usually for extreme examples. Usually they don't look that bad! On an engine that is running mostly correctly, the changes will be subtle.

Look at the ceramic insulator surrounding the top electrode (the round one in the center).

1) The insulator is noticeably lighter in color on one plug: Indicates a lean running cylinder (too little fuel) and points to a fuel injector that needs to be cleaned.

2) The insulator looks dark and sooty, often accompanied by dark/black soot on the bottom (bent) electrode: Indicates two possible conditions.
a) the cylinder is not igniting consistently due to a weak ignition (most likely, and suggested earlier by others); or

b) the cylinder is running too rich a fuel/air mixture (less likely on a fuel injected engine, but certainly possible if a fuel injector is leaking).​

You can do one more, even easier test. Take off your side fairings. Start and run the cold engine for about 30 seconds, then shut down. Take rag to protect your hand and touch each exhaust header pipe near the engine. See if one cylinder feels cooler than the others. That might steer you towards a poorly performing cylinder before you pull anything apart.

Back