Help me diagnose my motor

So was it pieces of the piston that broke off and was bouncing around inside the cylinder and against the head? Do you have a pic of the pieces that damaged the penthouse and valves?

There was one tiny tiny piece about the size of the end of a ball point pen, Otherwise, there was none to be found. I'm assuming they may either be smashed into the piston or made it out the exhaust without damaging the turbine! :please:

The bottom ring was sealed completely so I don't think they could have gotten into the bottom end.

possibly detonation causing the ring to break at the edge , seen no 2 ring land crack and break but not the top ,
can you get a closeup pic of the top and sides of any 1 of the other pistons showing shiny edges near the inlet valve cutout , i can see a little in one of your pics , suspect they were close to melting .
also still check your bottom end, the bearings would have taken a beating on the damaged cyl

first it looks like the ring landing is lifted on another of the pistons (from detonation)
also the piston ring seems to be missing some that must be what beat up the cylinder area
i wouldnt trust not having that bore replated as it will probably peel
i agree with adding an ignition hard cut to stop this from possibly happening again

Have you pulled the housing and checked the turbine wheel for damage, sure looks like a lot of piston surface that is missing that would of had to go out the turbine/exhaust?

Props to you for being able to pull the engine yourself. Saves big time $$ but isn't the self satisfaction great in being able to do it.

Head is being rebuilt.

Turbine looks fine.
IMG_6491.jpg

I do have one question, I took apart the wastegate and found the rubber diaphragm like this. It appears as though it was pinched somehow when the cover was put together.

Is this going to hurt anything and if so, should replace the piece and where can I buy one.

Tial gate.

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

if its not ripped then it will be fine just let it stretch back out then reinstall it properly and should be fine
if ripped then replace (have to go directly to tial for that)

if its not ripped then it will be fine just let it stretch back out then reinstall it properly and should be fine
if ripped then replace (have to go directly to tial for that)

Its not ripped at all... just folded over weird. I'm not sure if I should apply some heat to it to try and get it to straighten out..... ???

I would not use a heat gun. Overheat it by mistake,.....and it will become brittle and fail!! Boil some water,......and dip it quickly in and out of the water until you get the "wrinkles" out. :beerchug:

Then use crc on it when you reassemble, it will help the top cover slide over the diaphram without pinching it

Be sure to try westeate prior to construction. I've had a problem, my westegate was rated 8-18 PSI, I fired the bolt in half thinking it would be about 14 PSI, and Datalog am seeing that the boost jumped over 21 PSI.
The result, an outbreak of water plugs in the head and the mixing water and oil,.......

Back