Help me diagnose my motor

Bro, your valves, when was the last time you checked them? That sounds like a freakin valve poppin and you will need need to replace the entire valve train, pistons and possible have some block work done if it got damaged as well...

stop riding it now!

Was it missing/running rough? It seamed to idle fine in the vid, but its hard to make out.

Regardless it will need teardown to find out what it is. The bigger issue would be to find out what caused the issue.

well got her out tonight!

IMG_6448.jpg

now the fun part!! ???

Opps your bike fell apart, Travis!

yeah it did.... damn that motor is heavy!!!! hope its nothing too major!! John I wish you were a little closer to help me tear thru this thing!

Number 4 cylinder..... appears to be detonation.

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6486.jpg

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6472.jpg

1) I have a few questions. I plan on sending the head somewhere(need suggestions) to get it fixed up. Do I send the whole thing with the valves, shims, complete? It appears I might need a couple new exhaust valves.

2) Should I put new pistons in the whole thing or just replace the one. I have a set of good used stock pistons I could just use one...... ???

3) There is a tiny tiny little knick in the top of the cylinder wall right at the top where it meets the head. See pic almost dead center. Do I need to fix this? The cylinder is undamaged otherwise.

4) My brother in law says I should file down the ring gap on a turbo motor.... thoughts?

5) Should I be worried about any debris in the bottom end. Everything appears it was contained in the top end.

don't cop out or you will be redoing it again. Do all the valves and all the pistons. Thats like doing the brakes on your car but only doing one wheel instead of the complete axle or changing your oil and not the filter. with the way that piston ring looks you should be opening up the bottem end for inspection. I'm not a turbo guy so I can't answer that question for you.

Damn that is effed up....

Good luck man. You should send it all too that Tombo Racing guy. Seems to know his stuff about busa motors

Filing the rings per cyl is a good idea...I do not know but there is probably a spec for a nos, turbo, and regular stock parts...from what I have done nos engines leave the rings looser than stock because the heat of the nos will close them up while running.

It would be nice if you could send out the head and get it back as a bolt on..but you still have to degree it, which seems easy after you do it a few times of which I'd rather pay a shop to do.

the MFR of the pistons can give you ring gap measurements). Do a search for "Wossner" i have heard good things about their pistons.

I have a set of JE pistons i placed in my bike, the ring gap was .020 for the top ring and .026 for the second ring.

Travis send the head to Port Tech, he is very reasonable!
As for the piston, i would use a set that had the same mileage, with new rings on all of them!

Travis, that cyl looks to me like it was running lean. Be sure to check out your fuel system and tune.

Travis send the head to Port Tech, he is very reasonable!
As for the piston, i would use a set that had the same mileage, with new rings on all of them!

Port Tech eh? Have any contact info? Also do I send them the complete head?

I have a whole set that came out of another bike that I bought a number of years ago.... I might just do that.... I have a very limited budget on this rebuild and want to get it back going without spending $2k. ???

Travis, that cyl looks to me like it was running lean. Be sure to check out your fuel system and tune.

It very well may have... the FMU bracket broke under the tank and as someone said above, the fuel line could have gotten kinked without me knowing it. :whistle:

damn dude that sucks. kind of like mine. only 1 and 4 cylinder took damage. mine was because how the stock ecu is setup, it limits RPM by cutting fuel (no, no) to 1 and 4 only. so everytime u hit the redline its leaning those 2 out. mine looked similar, but not nearly as bad

So was it pieces of the piston that broke off and was bouncing around inside the cylinder and against the head? Do you have a pic of the pieces that damaged the penthouse and valves?

Back