help choosing the right riding gear

Goatkart

Registered
Hey gang,

was wondering if some people could step up and possibly give the n00b version of "how to pick your gear" for riding..

When i was on my cruisers i never thought much about gear beyond my leather jacket, lid, gloves periodicly, jeans, and leather work boots...

Now that i likely will be in this crowd i am considering much more, buying real gear that offers real protection....

Problem is, i dont even know where to start..

leather or kevlar... boots that seem to have lots of armor, or just general boots that look more comfy...

im not looking to look like the cavemen in a geico commercials with a full suit racing getup... function and comfort for me before looks... no one i need to impress...
I dont race.. i have a GTO for that, so i am looking for street gear, that will save my skin (literally) in case of a low or high side...

i am in IOWA, so we can get some hotter summers... but generally its fairly termperate...

thanks for the input...

ps: im a bigger guy, 6ft... 250lbs size 12-13 boot if that helps point me in the right direction..

Oh...come here and ask for advice?

You got it!

In spades!

Congrats on the upgrade and :welcome: to the board.

Stand by for some of the best information you could ever ask for...:beerchug:

Of course leather is always better if it's in your budget. Textile is good. There are so many companies out there that sell good quality equipment. It's all in how much you want to pay. Check out New Enough. They are having some good deals on just about everything your looking for.

Of course leather is always better if it's in your budget. Textile is good. There are so many companies out there that sell good quality equipment. It's all in how much you want to pay. Check out New Enough. They are having some good deals on just about everything your looking for.

I was hearing that for Street driving that Kevlar might be the better option rather than leather... Leather being a better option for Racing due to better aerodynamics etc.

Opinions or input on that?

It seems to be more of a preferance from what I have been reading. I seen one from a lady that does a lot of track days and street riding said that altough leather protects you from road rash, it will grab and cause you to roll and flip. Which can result in broken bones, where as the kevlar is more smooth and will just let you slide. One suggested then getting gear with a kevlar and leather mix. So I guess it's all in what you are looking for in protection, comfortability, and budget.

2pc leathers are great for a bigger guy, the jackets tends to run a little bigger allowing for a better fit than the 1pc suits that tend to be tailored a little more snug. Of course you can always have one modded to fit you better. Modding is one of the greatest things about this hobby in the "off season" - for those of us that actually have to sit 3-4 months waiting for the ice to melt. :laugh:

welcome

leather>mesh

a nice pair of riding jeans with a Textile or Leather jacket with over-the-ankle boots and of course gloves would be great. Many, many different brands out there. Joe Rocket, Alpinestar, AVG, Frank Thomas, Icon, etc.... have all been good gear for me.

I'm sorry... I WAS paying attention till I read, "I have GTO" then all thought process went out the window. uh... pic please? Pretty please. :kissass:

:whistle:

Welcome to the oRg.

Helmet, get something within your budget that fits comfortably and flows good air. Lots of opinions on brands, its up to you.

Jacket, I like perforated leather. Again, lots of opinions on this too, but I promise as the day is long, full leather is cooler in the summer than mesh because it keeps you moist and mesh drys you out.

Pants, again, I only wear full leather. Two piece suits can zip together and be warmer in the colder months, plus it meets most track requirements.

Boots, again, lots of opinions, but I promise you will want something with a firm enough sole to not hurt your feet on the pegs, but soft enough to be able to walk around comfortably. I like the Sidi boots and wear the Canyons.

Gloves, dont skimp here, full leather with a re-enforced palm.

Glad to have to have you! :beerchug:

Really appreciate all the helpfull suggestions everyone... Gave it the once over... but ill start really digging into it mommentarily...

For the one person wanting to see a picture of the Gto... HOPE i dont dissapoint in that its a new one... Had an old one that i sold a while back, and picked up this one for my daily driver about the same time...

It has since undergone much modification, and now has heads cam etc. done to it... and im putting around 450 RWHP/410RWTQ down in it...

Now some pictures... enjoy

IMG_0561_3_4_5.jpg

IMG_0569And8more.jpg

car2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice car. Not to hurt your feelings but I was hoping for a late 60's. :whistle: I've always been a sucker for the 69. Sorry for the thread jack. :beerchug:

1968PontiacGTO_600.jpg

I wear the Joe Rocket Alter Ego. It's textile, no fuss. It's three outfits in one. Jacket zips to pants. Fully armored. Great price.

No worries, i'm a goat fan (hence the name) and if i could put more than one in my stables i would... gotta make room!

had my share of beauties come and go... the hazards of some of the work my family used to do... restorations..

dont have any finished pictures in my photo bucket... but the Chevy II and GTO both went through Barrett Jackson Scottsdale..

100_0245.jpg

100_0246.jpg

100_0533.jpg

100_0542.jpg

100_0332.jpg

100_0334.jpg

my brothers work primarily.... but painful none the less.... saw some fabulous cars come n go...

Last edited:
Back