Helmet Laws affect theft rates?

It is true that most states that intact helmet laws will see a reduction of deaths but this is due to the decline of motorcycle riders not registering their bikes due to the helmel law,it happened in California and the other factors is the price of insurance for the motorcycles has gone up so a few of these riders decide not to bother with the insurance and helmet laws.You don't need a helmet to steal a bike,just a good old van or tow truck and look offical and you can take any bike.Using the correct tools the bike could be gone in seconds and carrying your own helmet or cutting the helmet strap from the one that is locked on the bike will also do the trick.I guess they should compair the numbers of registered motorcycles before the helmet law to the numbers after the helmet law.Some countries do not allow helmets in the city limits due to that a few of the hits to kill officals and other people were done on motorcycles with some one wearing a helmet which made it harder to ID the person.Just another fuel to add to the fire.I like wearing my helmet since I speed alot and we have camera systems through out the city and I keep my bike stock and don't wear flashy riding gear.

Thanks for the data Sarge,most of the bikes stolen in the San Jose area are done by thieves who use Vans and four guys using two metal poles to run between the bikes and they just throw the bike into the van.Most Harleys are stolen in San Jose due to the fact alot of new riders do not turn the ignition off on the Harley since you do not need the key if the ignition is turn on and not in the lock position and if you do not lock the front forks.

[This message has been edited by Cisco San Jose (edited 10 April 2000).]

Back