helmet law thing

btw, I wear a helmet most of the times too, the article can't make it. But was something to consider, at least the part with the neck injuries, some work could be done on them helmets.

Typical central New York summertime sportbike riding attire:
Feet (free choice) - sneakers (sandals optional)

Legs and hips (free choice) - shorts

Upper torso (free choice) - T-shirt (tank top optional)

Head (no choice) - $400 full face helmet

Question: who does a better job of dressing little Johnny for a bike ride, the state or little Johnny? Duh!

I guess you never had a bug slam into your face shield at 55 mphs.
Just think what would happen if one slams into your face at 195 mphs. :(

Hey, I don't like wearing a helmet either, but I like eating my dinner through a straw even less. Having been in the health insurance field for a number of years and worked in an ER during college, I have seen, first hand, what no helmet means in a crash. As far as I'm concerned, the helmet and the busa gotta' go together. Did you ever hear, "better safe than sorry"?

Well that was about a thoughtless post :)

Hey your life is your own but when you go out and bust up your head I dont want to pay to keep you alive on a lifesupport because your a veggie, and who pays taxpayers.

I dont get on my bike without it! cuz I wanna be around to ride another BUSA, forbid anything should happen to me or my baby :)

Always wear a helmet!
Imagine what would happen if you went down and slide head first into a curb at about 50mph.

And if your own well being isn't enough to convince you...it all goes along with the style.

Go all-out and get yourself a $1300 dainese 1 piece,$350 k-racing boots,$190 Acerbis gloves,and go out with your $400-$500 helmet and have some fun!

I can't believe how many guys i see riding around with just some cheese ass helmet and nothing but shorts,t-shirt and shoes!
You'll be better off if you go down...and you'll look cooler riding around. :)

I can't understand why you wouldn't want all of this stuff.Its all part of motorcycling.Money is no option here!

You can wear all the safety gear you want but when someone turns in front of you and you're doing over 10mph good luck or if your bike blows a front tire at 50 mph and your on a curve,good luck.ON a race track you are all going in the same direction and most of the people have had racing school and training but when you are on the Highways or any road USA or overseas your odds are against you,bad drivers,bad roads,animals,other motorcycle riders,oil/coolant/newspaper/sand on the road.I have had friends killed who were wearing helmets and I have also had friends killed who wearing seat belts.Bottom line when it's your time to go it's your time.Just have fun.And if your talking about tax payers money that are used to fix some of these people that get involve in motorcycle accidents get a clue most states require that you have insurance to ride your bike.My state California you have a helmet law,try driving a car with a motorcycle helmet on,you'll get a ticket for using a motorcycle helmet and the reason why,restrictive vision,go figure.Now with all the debate about helmets or no helmets,let the insurance company take charge same way they will when it comes time for airbags on motorcycle,safety glow vest "bright orange"required by all motorcycle riders,reduced horse power under 100wrhp,reflectors all over the bike,no noise pipes,I can keep going.Bottom line go have fun,if you want to wear a helmet wear one,if you don't that's ok also.Make sure you wear eye protection,cause with out your eyes every thing else don't matter.My opinion

It looks like most of us are aware of the advantages of wearing protection but a few are not convinced. As much as I hate to do this here is a link for a web site with various morbid attrocities one of which is a bike rider who decided he didn't need a helmet. Notice the the hole in his head big enough to put your fist through. Notice the absence of brain matter. Notice what appears to be brain matter on the pavement at the scene of the accident. For some seeing is believing. If you are already convinced of the results of an unprotected human head hitting the pavement then I suggest you NOT view this. For the others here is the url:

http://www.goregallery.com/index2.htm

Look under the section on the left entitled "The Gore" - then select "Motorcycle Crash"

ps - you have been warned this web site is NOT a pretty sight. Don't allow your kids to see this stuff unless they are foolish enough to be riding without protection.

Cisco : The only insurance required in my state (or ANY state in the US that I'm aware of) is personal LIABILITY insurance which ONLY covers property damage and medical coverage for the OTHER party. In other words - if the driver/rider of the vehicle with liability only insurance is at fault the only damages the liability-only insurance is required to cover are those of the other party. No fault states may be entirely different but in OK, TX and other surrounding states this is the situation.
If the bike rider is NOT at fault then the insurance of the other party (liability is min requirement) is required to pay the propery damage and medical bills of the bike rider - IF the other party has insurance. Many times they(other party) are driving illegally with NO insurance at all.

If a bike rider with liability insurance only is alone on the road and has an accident then he (bike rider) has no vehicle insurance to cover his property or medical damages. The rider would either have to use other exhisting health insurance for his medical bills or pay for them out of pocket. Property damages wouild have to be paid out of pocket. We all know that if a rider is unconcious and laying on the road after an accident that they will receive treatment whether they are deemed to be finacially able or not. If they have liability-only insurance and no health insurance and are unable to pay the medical bills out of pocket WHO do you think ends up paying the doctors, nurses and other hospital staff?!

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 14 September 1999).]

I ride a Busa and happen to be in the Army. Army regs require soldiers to wear a helmet, gloves, boots or shoes that cover the ankle, long sleeve shirt, long pants, bright colored clothing during the day (which is normally interpreted as a blaze orange vest), and reflective material at night. Most of us disregard the vest but a lot of people are worried that the military will not pay medical coverage for an accident if they are not wearing all required items. Most people feel this is the Army's way of giving riders a hard time but we are forced to comply if we ride our bikes on post.

I wouldn't complain about only having to wear a helemt. I would wear one all of the time anyway.

I always wear a helmet

It's still a personal decision. I wear a helment because I choose to. The government will always try to impose restrictions because of some dim-wit personal feelings an elected official has. I wish we could truly be free and manage our lives based on our values. I bear no anomosity to those who choose not to wear a helment---once again, personal choice.

To all lets drop this topic because we all pay insurance,taxes and live and will die some day.Go ride your bike and have fun and if you don't like your taxes going to provide service to help the disadvantage,poor,
undesirable then run for office and change some of this tax waste.Prisons are a waste of tax payers money,paying for other countries money problems are a waste of tax payers money"you can't buy friends",so lets go ride our motorcycles before they pass a law stating anything with out four wheels will be banned on public roads.

I started wearing a full coverage helmet after I did a nice faceplant(off road) on a dirt bike and had to go to high school with half my face covered with road rash. Surviving crashes is partly about doing the best thing in the few tenths of a second to minimize the impact, but mostly it's about dumb luck in how the forces happen in the ensuing chaos. Anything to decrease the transmission of those forces to the body helps. But if lady luck isn't with you then nothing will help. But that's true for almost any situation. Motorcycles just have a bad combination of speed and vulnerability. I assume that those who don't wear protective gear haven't crashed yet. At the Pridmore school I got a very clear feeling from the instructors that they didn't want to repeat earlier mistakes using prtective gear that wasn't first class and did not prevent some broken bones. Pain and suffering goes a long way to convince the mind that any gear that can help to prevent injury is worth it.

Absolutly Cisco----Who was that that said that is no man written law that is not just the opinion of some person that has the power to impose their will on others? I have always thought that about speed limits. If 65 is safe, it is my opinion that 75 is safe. Does that matter to a cop?

Busa Pilot,we had to do the same thing when I was in the Navy plus you had to go thru the motorcycle safety class that was required before you got your Base sticker and this was in 1969-1975 time period.They made you go thru high speed braking using front brakes only,control shifting up and down the gears,control back brake skid test,counter steering,quick lane change or so called avoid the accident test and much more,I believe at that time and now it was one of the best thing the Navy did for motorcyclist.Most guys would park their bikes out side the gates/Base cause they did not want to go thru the hassel of taking the safety course.Anyways ride safe.

We have helmet law in Denmark, but I would wear one anyway. 25 years ago a close encounter with a bumblebee at 60mph convenced me. I never ride my bike without helmet, leather, boots and gloves. Call me a sissy if you like. Btw, I do envy you guys riding in California (and likes), you can ride all year long, right now I considering putting the bike away for this reason. Next time I'll be riding will be in early April.
It's not funny riding the bike and deep-freeze your butt off, not so mention the willie being 1 inch long. Smile....

Let Common sense dictate! And, common sense would tell you that if you're going to ride fast, wear protection. Helmet, leathers, gloves, boots, etc.. It IS that simple. If you choose not to and you have that right, then don't expect anyone to pity you in that hospital bed or in that hole in the ground. Personal freedom is one thing, but when it directly effects someone else it's another. With freedom comes responsibility. Responsible riders wear protection.

Back