hard starting found problem, now what?

Then why bring it up?...there are at least two online manuals here on the board. They both state 5.5 gal...CA is 5.0 gal or 5.3 gal...does the OP have a Gen1 or Gen2?

We are both right.
The 99 and 2000 had 5.8 gallons
and the 2001 to 2007 had 5.5 gallons
His is a 2003 so you are right. :bowdown:

We are both right.
The 99 and 2000 had 5.8 gallons
and the 2001 to 2007 had 5.5 gallons
His is a 2003 so you are right. :bowdown:

Ya learn something everyday :thumbsup:

I have a '03...so I knew it was 5.0 for CA...5.5 for the rest.

Also have a '08...5.3 CA...5.5 everybody else. I double checked one of
the org shop manuals...which is a '99-'00

Well what do ya know 5.3 and 5.8 :laugh:

Not to argue, I'm a dumbazz. Why would a bad/clogged air filter affect the #3 cylinder and not the others ?

Cylinders vary in air flow and mixture...they are all running rich...#3 is just the worst (richest) one.

Ya learn something everyday :thumbsup:

I have a '03...so I knew it was 5.0 for CA...5.5 for the rest.

Also have a '08...5.3 CA...5.5 everybody else. I double checked one of
the org shop manuals...which is a '99-'00

Well what do ya know 5.3 and 5.8 :laugh:

Cheers buddy.....:beerchug:

Hey I'll bet that moving the fuel pump into the tank made up for the .3 gallons?

Last edited:
Not to argue, I'm a dumbazz. Why would a bad/clogged air filter affect the #3 cylinder and not the others ?

because if there is a air problem then all the plugs will fail eventually as in the pics they are all running rich so maybe the bad plug has a weak spark i have mentioned that the coils should be swapped around to check ....step by step ...will solve the problem.

also if the commander is disconnected the after market exhaust system will also cause problems

because if there is a air problem then all the plugs will fail eventually as in the pics they are all running rich so maybe the bad plug has a weak spark i have mentioned that the coils should be swapped around to check ....step by step ...will solve the problem.

also if the commander is disconnected the after market exhaust system will also cause problems

I agree with swapping the coil. You can't go wrong with that one. Of course remembering the coil may not be being asked to fire.

I had an '06, put three or four sets of plugs in it and they all looked white/brown like his. It was stock.

agreed but i have also read that you can also try different temperature plugs to compensate when you have an after market exhaust system after removing the power commander because of the modded mapping

Back to the filter for a second. Isn't it a common plenum to the throttle bodies ?

agreed but i have also read that you can also try different temperature plugs to compensate when you have an after market exhaust system after removing the power commander because of the modded mapping

This is like watching House Md.. we just need more input from others and we will solve this problem

I just hope i dont end up with a limp:laugh:

i did swicht around all coils and #3 was doing the same, so far without with pc3 and no ign module is doig fine but still having problems starting, when the bike is hot it just get lazy, cold fire right up.
prezzo that link is not working, can you repost

that is a good 1 maybe 1 is sticking but to early in the diagnosis i cant imagine they all have a problem because all cylinders are running rich

i also tried a hotter plug just the #3 with a hotter one, with pc3 ign mod the #3 better looked but still i can tell some ain't right. i also tried with all four hotter plugs 1,2,4 looked too lean but #3 was fine. but that didn't fixed the hard start problem.

i did swicht around all coils and #3 was doing the same, so far without with pc3 and no ign module is doig fine but still having problems starting, when the bike is hot it just get lazy, cold fire right up.
prezzo that link is not working, can you repost

The link does not work but if you register and look in their posts or ask on their site then we have more brains helping

meanwhile im also looking and asking around and thinking

Back to the filter for a second. Isn't it a common plenum to the throttle bodies ?

Yes, but the compression reading will vary from cylinder to cylinder...which means they do more or less work producing power. They vary in the amount of air flow...that's why you need a throttle sync (it's never perfect), there could be a vacuum leak affecting mixture...dirty or inefficient injector...etc etc

i also tried a hotter plug just the #3 with a hotter one, with pc3 ign mod the #3 better looked but still i can tell some ain't right. i also tried with all four hotter plugs 1,2,4 looked too lean but #3 was fine. but that didn't fixed the hard start problem.

Has the bike been sitting for a long time? or maybe does not get ridden much?

the hard start problem could just be a weak battery dont worry about that yet lets see if we can sort the plug problem first is there by any chance it could be a choke problem ?

the hard start problem could just be a weak battery dont worry about that yet lets see if we can sort the plug problem first is there by any chance it could be a choke problem ?

Brand new battery :thumbsup:

And he upgraded to the 235 CCA one :beerchug:

Back