Happened before I knew it.

The promotion got you a wife, daughter and a certificate? Today's Army is looking good. :laugh: Congrats Sir.

@ skydivr. Roger that sir, 18 months.

What's the TIS/TIG to Captain now? I've heard 24 months. MANY moons ago, it took MINIMUM 3 YRS to make 1LT and 5 to make CPT :banghead:. The Army is promoting the early grades faster, but gonna hold you as a CPT and MAJ much longer than they used to.

IMHO, CAPTAIN is the best rank in the Army and it's where I had the most fun, it's the last time you have direct control over individual soldiers (after that, it's always by proxy) with the most latitude. It was my favorite rank (but I was REALLY GLAD to get that butter bar off too :) Watch the change in attitude from Jr Soldiers when you put the train tracks on, because they KNOW a CPT can take PAY :)

Now, I don't see any badges on that uniform. While you can an are still young enough, go to Airborne and Air Assault School (for starters). Not only are they a LOT of fun (while you are still young enough to physically compete without issue), they will garner you street cred with your soldiers and also with promotion boards looking at your future.

HOOAH!

What's the TIS/TIG to Captain now? I've heard 24 months. MANY moons ago, it took MINIMUM 3 YRS to make 1LT and 5 to make CPT :banghead:. The Army is promoting the early grades faster, but gonna hold you as a CPT and MAJ much longer than they used to.

IMHO, CAPTAIN is the best rank in the Army and it's where I had the most fun, it's the last time you have direct control over individual soldiers (after that, it's always by proxy) with the most latitude. It was my favorite rank (but I was REALLY GLAD to get that butter bar off too :) Watch the change in attitude from Jr Soldiers when you put the train tracks on, because they KNOW a CPT can take PAY :)

Now, I don't see any badges on that uniform. While you can an are still young enough, go to Airborne and Air Assault School (for starters). Not only are they a LOT of fun (while you are still young enough to physically compete without issue), they will garner you street cred with your soldiers and also with promotion boards looking at your future.

HOOAH!

It is now 24 months TIG, 42 months TIS to CPT. It used to be 18 months from 1LT to CPT up until just before I commissioned. The also just brought back the check boxes on OER's. Promotion to CPT will no longer be automatic nor will 1LT be automatic. Things are slowly changing to ways they were several years ago before everything got fast tracked due to the wars.

Schools will come. I've got Ranger and Airborne for sure and other that I want to go to. The first two got put on hold back in Jan at the end of IBOLC for medical. I had heart surgery back in June to repair my mitral valve and to close a PFO ( its a hole between the two atriums that allows blood to flow back and forth). Surgeon says I'll be fine just waiting on the Army docs to clear me. I start a trial of duty sometime in Feb. The BN CDR says that as soon as I start my trial of duty he's going to give me a platoon. Once I complete my 180 day trial of duty my army cardiologist says he will sign my waiver for Ranger and Airborne.

Until then I will make the best I can of the BN AS1 slot I'm currently in.:banghead:

Good work..no more excuses. Take advantage of the AS1 job, learn those ankle bitters that kill commanders and learn how to write effective OER's and NCOER's. Schools will come, you are right. Enjoy the time with the troops, it will be gone before you know it.

Keith..agree, CPT was the best time...well, company command is/was the greatest. I am really enjoying teaching the cadets though, its refreshing to see the bright eyed wonder they have.

I totally agree about learning effective writing skills. I was fortunate (or cursed, depending on how you looked at it) - My BN Cdr's doctoral thesis was the Army Writing Program - so you can guess who got a lot of 'do-overs'. I hated it, but later appreciated it, as it can be worth it's weight in gold to someone who knows how to effectively write. I used to drive my staff nuts (just like my old boss did me) :laugh:

Yes LT, get healthy first, then get in shape, then get in shape more, Ranger School will test you to your limits. Go get jump school and Air Assault first as warm-ups.

You know, I envy you - I wish I could just do it all over again- be over before you know it - but too old too slow just waiting around for my first retirement check (in another 15 years :)

Back