H d   t v   review

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
What do you guys think of HDTV? I got a TV for games and movies but it has an HD tuner in it. Been watching mostly PBS which has an HD station, and all the other local stations have random HD material on them. I have to admit the HD stuff in 720 or 1080 looks incredible! WAY clearer, cleaner, more detailed, better color than the best normal TV and quite a bit better than DVDs.

My DVD player upscales regular DVD to HD resolutions and it works great. It's a Samsung, but there is probably better out there, but it scales very nicely and I can see more details than I've ever seen from my DVDs. It's a pleasure to watch them all over again and see things with more detail. I can't WAIT for HD DVDs now. I looked at HD DVD at Best buy last week but both the HD and the BLU RAY machines were hung - locked up - and needed unplugged to reset. Bleed edge technology. They got the Blu ray working and played a demo disk that looked really good on the LCD they had, BUT in scaling the HD movie to fit, there were blob/spots happening. I have no idea why that was and the ignorant sales guys was like "you dont see those further away" and I said, "No, it's glitched. It's too obvious of a mess up to go unnotticed." anyway it has a lot of potential. DVDs loose alot from movies when they get put on there, but HD should be able to render as much detail as possible

I noticed half of our theaters are now DLP Projectors - probably just a movie version of HD DVDs beign used.... but they look great and dont seem to suffer problems that film projectiion did. I was worried at first, but it does look clearer and better now. Des Moines has the largest number of screen per peopl or something, cuz all we do is eat out and goto movies... I guess.... so they do lots of tests previews and experiments with technology to see how it works before releasing to REAL people. Besides, you don't want to try something that sucks, in the middle of LA where everyone is watching.

Back to HD TV. screen looks AWESOME on HDTV, very great with upscaled DVDS, really great for video games - although REALLY TIGHT games like fighting games don't work because there is some processing lag for the scaling and plasma, regualr SD TV is 'OK' but almost unwatchable by comparison now - I've disabled all but one SD channel.

Antennas: any normal antenna works fine with HD. I'm using my old but decent rabbit ears. There are new antennas made for HD but I have yet to read they REALLY do any better. Because I am in a 3 story apartment on the 1st floor, my reception is pretty bad sometimes. This translates digitally into large chucky squares all over the screen instead of reception snow and the audio drops out completely. I can live with it because I don't care about TV much

Summery: I am extremely pleased with HD and think it really is a great thing. Eventually pricing will make it a household norm much like color TV is now, and nobody will think HD is GREAT because it is just normal.

here's a blurry pic of Tourist Trophy. I can't hold the camera steady enough but it looks pretty good. Riding a busa of course at Laguna Seca

tt.JPG

I love my HDTV. I have a Hitachi 51" that has a built in HD and Digital cable tuner. I get about 20 HD channels through digital cable (comcast). I have the same Samsung DVD player and I like it a lot.

I have an older 42" Plasma and a 55" DLP. Cable provides the HD. Not many channels of HD programming yet. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop with the broadcasters providing HD signals.

HD is cool. But, still not alot of content now. Though, when you see a show/game in HD (whatever flavor of HD they are broadcasting) it is really impressive.

HD DVD pi55es me off. Those companies decided to put their greed before the consumers (again) and come out with two competing "standards". So, we get to wait for a "winner", or roll the dice and get one of the two flavors in the hope of picking the "winner". Of course, if you are wrong, you get to throw away a perfectly good piece of equipment to then buy the other flavor. Though, it largely depends upon which movie you want to watch, since they are not available in both HD DVD "standards". You really need equipment that can read *both* HD DVD flavors. Hopefully, there will be equipment available relatively soon (doubt it) that will work well with both of them. I think there isn't any just yet.

I'm waiting on the fence as far as the HD DVD goes. The prices need to come down and the equipment needs to work with both. I just want to buy my HD DVD movie (regardless of the "flavor") and just stick it my player. That's it.

Though, HD DVD audio is killer too....

Love My HD also much better then reg and yes during Football u can just about see the blades of grass. I use cable HD also.

i just got a 50 inch sony grand wega and i absolutely love it!!!having a really hard time getting my cable company to get all my hd channels turned on though,friggin call center is in mexico so its like pullin teeth tryin to get anything done.

I love my HDTV. I have a Hitachi 51" that has a built in HD and Digital cable tuner. I get about 20 HD channels through digital cable (comcast). I have the same Samsung DVD player and I like it a lot.
My Samsung is the cheapo HD841. Have you ever installed the OS update on a DVD player? There's one out, but I am afried to break it - don't wanna buy a new one until HD is out for en mass. Mine scales okay, but seems the blacks don't have much contrast other than , well, black
smile.gif

I orderd cable because they told me I could get a lot of HD. found out "HD" is yet another whole seperate add on package! I cancelled it and demanded a refund for being lied to. Over the air is enough for the time I put into actual TV.

I'm waiting on HD DVD also. although I see better movies that I like on HDDVD, I think Sony's BLURAY DVD wil win due to marketing power. Then you will be able to buy a unit that does both for oh, say, only twice the price of one unit! It will suck be let you play both types. Kinda like right now our DVDRs play and record: CD ROM, CDRW, DVD-r DVD +r etc etc.
I'm trying so hard to be content with my current player, but knowing there's something twice as good out there makes he yearn.

At least I don't have that problem with the Hayabusa.
smile.gif

my samsung can upscale to 1080i but I use 720P to match my 50" plasma. looks really good

nice player, 300busa, I bet that looks real nice. I am suprised that upscaling works as well as it does. it is pretty sweet

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153711317 -->

Back