Gun Control

England has some of the lowest gun violence for any civilized nation on the planet but their knife crimes are through the roof with over 60,000 related knife injuries last year. thats about 160 knife attacks a day. pick ur poison I guess.
Please cite the source for this statistic Brett. It is clearly farcical. The actual rate of reported stabbings in the UK (not just England) is a tiny fraction of this!

Actually you can. I did not, nor have I ever said, you can walk out with it there and then...but of course you can walk in and buy one. While we're on the subject, let me state right here that I am not in any way against people having the right to own a gun over here, not at all. But that's over here...there are way too many guns out there already to institute control now.

I bow to your superior knowledge of my country Blanca. You might want to sit down and write a stern letter to the Prime Minister and share your concerns. Interestingly, I have yet to talk with a single person over there who shares your view that we should have free access to firearms as you do here, but hey...we obviously don't know what's good for us...luckily you do. And as for the knife related injuries...I am not sure where that figure came from and I'd appreciate the source being cited because the last clear data I can find is from 2006 when there were 1200 reported stabbings. So either this 60,000 includes kitchen injuries or it was simply pulled out of someone's arse mate.

There are 15 homicides per million people in Britain and 60 per million in the US (88% of which are by firearms). That's four times the rate here compared to there. Not sure why, it certainly can't be because of the lack of arms control right?...no doubt we're just naturally sweeter than Americans.

Thanks again for your insight into my country.

I lived in England just north of Cambridge for 6 years. I can tell you for a fact there were times that I wish I had my conceal carry weapon with me because things looked like they might go bad. I also have several friends that still live over there that were born in the Birmingham area that would like to see guns allowed in the country.

I almost did not post my opinion here because you seem to be one of those people that does not listen to anyone else other than yourself and what you think is right. I frankly do not care if England never lets its citizens own guns, because I do not plan to ever go back.

By the way, you cannot simply walk in to Wal-mart and buy a hand gun. I live in Georgia where the guns laws are some of the most relaxed in the entire nation. Wal-mart only carries long guns, if you want a hand gun you must go to a FFL dealer and purchase one.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

By the way, you cannot simply walk in to Wal-mart and buy a hand gun. I live in Georgia where the guns laws are some of the most relaxed in the entire nation. Wal-mart only carries long guns, if you want a hand gun you must go to a FFL dealer and purchase one.

Opened mouth and inserted foot again. They do not sell or order hand guns here anymore either. You ate correct sir.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Opened mouth and inserted foot again. They do not sell or order hand guns here anymore either. You ate correct sir.
My mistake...been a LONG time since I walked into the gun part of WalMart obviously. But I just chatted with my resident Republican receptionist who has multiple guns...each time she has bought one she walked into the gunshop and walked out with it in her hand.

While I have your attention though Brett...and while we're talking about inserting feet in orifices...care to cite the reference for your "160 knife attacks a day" statistic?

My mistake...been a LONG time since I walked into the gun part of WalMart obviously. But I just chatted with my resident Republican receptionist who has multiple guns...each time she has bought one she walked into the gunshop and walked out with it in her hand.

While I have your attention though Brett...and while we're talking about inserting feet in orifices...care to cite the reference for your "160 knife attacks a day" statistic?

Believe you got the wrong Bret. The one that posted that is username GNBrett.
I am not that bad about it sheesh :lol:

Fair point...and true the world over...but it is far easier to kill someone with a gun than any other method I think even you must agree.

I almost did not post my opinion here because you seem to be one of those people that does not listen to anyone else other than yourself and what you think is right.
Now that is unfair. If you look at my questions you will see that none have been answered and I am wayyyy outnumbered (in fact I seem to be a party of one). Please, just one person, explain to me why the murder rate is 4 times higher per capita here than in Britain! If possessing a firearm protects people as all of you assert, why the startlingly high levels of homicide here? I am truly open to pursuasion, honestly, but have yet to hear anything but empty rhetoric and fictional statistics.

The fact is that most people I know here who have a gun have it because they're just plain good fun to shoot. They'd probably have one for that reason alone just because they can. I totally respect that and, having been a Royal Marine, I thoroughly enjoy shooting too. But don't tell me that people here are safer because they have them because that's clearly not the case. If you have any evidence to the contrary I am ready to be converted.

Some states require a waiting period to buy a hand gun, some do not. A simple Google search would reveal the answer to who does and who does not. Georgia does not require it and I am glad they do not. Some states require you take a state sponsored weapons safety course before you purchase a gun. Although, you must prove you are a resident with a valid form of state issued identification. You must also provide personal information that you do not have to provide while purchasing other objects. I know you are trying to imply that you can buy a hand gun anywhere you want, when you want, but that is not the case. There are laws and regulations that are strictly enforced based on your residency.

Any further comments that I can help you clarify?

Fair point...and true the world over...but it is far easier to kill someone with a gun than any other method I think even you must agree.

Now that is unfair. If you look at my questions you will see that none have been answered and I am wayyyy outnumbered (in fact I seem to be a party of one). Please, just one person, explain to me why the murder rate is 4 times higher per capita here than in Britain! If possessing a firearm protects people as all of you assert, why the startlingly high levels of homicide here? I am truly open to pursuasion, honestly, but have yet to hear anything but empty rhetoric and fictional statistics.

The fact is that most people I know here who have a gun have it because they're just plain good fun to shoot. They'd probably have one for that reason alone just because they can. I totally respect that and, having been a Royal Marine, I thoroughly enjoy shooting too. But don't tell me that people here are safer because they have them because that's clearly not the case. If you have any evidence to the contrary I am ready to be converted.

Using a gun is not the easiest way to kill some one, but the other methods I am referencing are not available to the general public.

I am going to gracefully walk away from this because I have grown tired of defending my point of view on gun control. Good day to you, and I hope that time never comes that you need a gun and did not have one. I have been there before, and do not plan to ever be there again.

I grew up with guns, been in the military for over 16 years, and now carry a gun on a daily basis. My choice, my right, and I damn well intend to exercise it.

Site your sources that prove your point.

Using a gun is not the easiest way to kill some one, but the other methods I am referencing are not available to the general public.

I am going to gracefully walk away from this because I have grown tired of defending my point of view on gun control. Good day to you, and I hope that time never comes that you need a gun and did not have one. I have been there before, and do not plan to ever be there again.

I grew up with guns, been in the military for over 16 years, and now carry a gun on a daily basis. My choice, my right, and I damn well intend to exercise it.
Once again an overly emotional response to a simple question. Have I once implied that you should not have the right to have a gun? Of course you do. That's the law. You are not walking away "gracefully," but angrily, and not because you grow tired of defending your view, but because you can't answer the question.

LOL, my apologies. But in my defense, you all look alike!

Your views obviously lean to the left of center so you can get away with that remark. Now a right of center leaner on the other hand......... :-)

Actually you can. I did not, nor have I ever said, you can walk out with it there and then...but of course you can walk in and buy one.

Wrong again. Just to be certain, I called four local Walmart stores. Two of them said that they do not sell or special order firearms of any type at their store. The other two did sell hunting weapons in-store, and said that you can order other rifles and shotguns from their special order catalog, but no handguns are available. They said that handguns can only be purchased through Walmart stores in Alaska.

I'm sure they were all wrong...:poke:

Wrong again. Just to be certain, I called four local Walmart stores. Two of them said that they do not sell or special order firearms of any type at their store. The other two did sell hunting weapons in-store, and said that you can order other rifles and shotguns from their special order catalog, but no handguns are available. They said that handguns can only be purchased through Walmart stores in Alaska.

I'm sure they were all wrong...:poke:
Already addressed (see above). WalMart did indeed at one time sell handguns in Texas, but not for a looong time apparently. They still sell rifles and shotguns here. It's interesting that you spent so long proving me wrong on such a tiny point, but not surprising. Let me put it different way...you can walk into any gun store and walk out with a handgun (at least in Texas). I am unsure why the name of the store is such a big deal, but anyway my apologies.

Already addressed (see above). WalMart did indeed at one time sell handguns in Texas, but not for a looong time apparently. They still sell rifles and shotguns here. It's interesting that you spent so long proving me wrong on such a tiny point, but not surprising. Let me put it different way...you can walk into any gun store and walk out with a handgun (at least in Texas). I am unsure why the name of the store is such a big deal, but anyway my apologies.

10 minutes while riding to lunch in the car... Not exactly a long time, I just like to be clear on the facts behind my point. Seems like others would want to be sure about the accuracy of their statements as well.

Tekken you ask us to show you how it is safer to carry than to not do so.
FBI and doj crime statistics clearly show that everywhere in the USA where concealed carry has been enacted the crime rates have gone down.
Also you say 88% of homicides are gun related. I'd like you to cite the place where you got that because it seems high?

Other than that we can agree to disagree.

Back