Gps

RDosdorian

Registered
I did a search on GPS.  I found numerous posts regarding mounting the GPS.  So far I like the mount I saw on www.techbiker.com
10991binset.jpg

I have seen this same mount on several sites, but that site gives some good pics of it.  I like the clean mounting through the steering stem.  I am moving towards this mounting method because other mounts (like this one)  
gadgets.jpg

appear to block the gauges.

So... the next question is.... which GPS is the best for use on a motorcycle?  Opinions?? I really want something that will display gps speed as one of the options.

The mount depends on how much stuff you want to display up there? Many different brands of GPS, but I would go with Garmin. Just my personal choice. I have a GPS V, but don't think they make that one anymore.

hi i use a garman trex cx it has all the maps color,course finder and alot of other stuff.good size. very happy with it.399$ from best buy i mounted the quick relese right to the top of the tree.:)

post_6_10265_DSCF1059__Medium_.jpg

hi i use a garman  trex cx it has all the maps color,course finder and alot of other stuff.good size.  very happy with it.399$ from best buy i mounted the quick relese right to the top of the tree.:)
Price is not an issue...

The Garmin looks good. Nice size. Is it pretty accurate? Is it fairly easy to use?

I wouldnt be worried about blocking the gauges with a GPS because it is going to have the info you want as far as how fast your going anyway wont it?

hi i use a garman  trex cx it has all the maps color,course finder and alot of other stuff.good size.  very happy with it.399$ from best buy i mounted the quick relese right to the top of the tree.:)
Price is not an issue...

The Garmin looks good.  Nice size.  Is it pretty accurate?  Is it fairly easy to use?
i can change screens weareing cloves at 80. get a color one easy to read. i hard wired mine to the bike so when i turn off the bike it also turns off.
speed is. dead on
i had it in my pocket in chicago a couple weeks ago to get around the city, you can set it for walking, it will give directions based on that. A+ buy

You need a Ram stem mount so as to NOT block the view of the gauges.

Just so people can make the right buying decisions here, the mounted Garmin 276c in the first post (my bike setup) does NOT block the gauges. The pic is not from the same perspective as a rider seated with hands on the bars.

FWIW I never look at the speedo anyway- the 276c has a large, bright screen that is easy to read in daylight. It was a major improvement over the GPS V unit which had too slow a CPU: screen redraws and route recals were too slow to be useful.

I would consider a stem mount only for a small unit- a larger heavier GPS is apt to twist in the mounting stem.

<!--EDIT|cutter
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154635927 -->

I put a right angle bracket on my two bolts on the brake master cylinder bracket and mounted my tom tom navigation to it with its stock brackets. I can see all my gauges and my smoked windshield blocks some of the light on it so it is more visable.

I have had a lot of success with the TomTom GPS comes with all the mounts you need, small and touch screen.

I love mine. It has bluetooth so I know if someone is calling me while I am riding. I can see who it is also to see if it is worth pulling over to call them back. Plus it has a bright enough screen to see in the sun. With the long battery I did not have to rig a charger either.

I love mine. It has bluetooth so I know if someone is calling me while I am riding. I can see who it is also to see if it is worth pulling over to call them back. Plus it has a bright enough screen to see in the sun. With the long battery I did not have to rig a charger either.
which 1 do u have
if it does all that
thats the 1 I want

Sorry, to change the subject! Which brand of radar detector should I look at for my bike? I live in Vermont, so radar is used more than laser. Best area to mount also, would be great. I am going to lose my license if I don't do something soon.

which 1 do u have
if it does all that
thats the 1 I want
Sorry, did not look in thread for a while. I have a 700. It is awesome. They have a new one, I think 900 that also is a mp3 player.

Sorry, to change the subject! Which brand of radar detector should I look at for my bike? I live in Vermont, so radar is used more than laser. Best area to mount also, would be great. I am going to lose my license if I don't do something soon.
Passport 8500 works great
also Valentine 1

which 1 do u have
if it does all that
thats the 1 I want
Sorry, did not look in thread for a while. I have a 700. It is awesome. They have a new one, I think 900 that also is a mp3 player.
thanks bro
now I know which 1 to ask for

Back