Got my first cold of the season

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
It was bad enough that it is too cold to ride and the busa is hanging out in the heated garage these days but now I've come down a major cold. Head feels like it's gonna explode, with all the other fun symptoms. Anyone else fought it off yet and what do you do for the common cold?

I got one going through the airport coming home this week... feeling a bit better today..

sleep-fluids-sleep-fluids-sleep

I just whine a lot and buy stock in Puffs Plus :p

Sorry you're sick...I hope you start feeling better soon...beef up the old vitamin C and hot soup always helps me :)

yea i am fighing it off. I went to the doc the other day and got a steriod shot.. made me feel allot better.

I've been hitting the Airborne. Natural remedy stuff as I believe in letting the body fight it off. A good expectorant to keep all that stuff in the chest broken up and a decongestant for the sinus pressure. Plenty of fluids and my favorite, peppermint tea with raw, local honey

Good thing is, I've got a little over 60 sick days banked so I don't have to worry about working when I feel this bad.

I have been using Airborne too; the gals here at work swear by it...nasty tasting stuff, but I'll admit that when everyone else around me is hacking and coughing, I seem to miss whatever's going around...

I had bronchitis several weeks back and was taking Mucinex D, but after a visit to the doctor because I wasn't getting better, she noted my blood pressure was up...she blamed it on the Mucinex D, said that elevates BP in a lot of people...regular Mucinex in the blue box is OK though...just thought I'd share my useless info in case you're taking it LOL

I just whine a lot and buy stock in Puffs Plus :p

Sorry you're sick...I hope you start feeling better soon...beef up the old vitamin C and hot soup always helps me :)

I did soup last night. I Found the best recipe for potato soup yet. Good hot soup definitely helps when you are under the weather.

I did soup last night. I Found the best recipe for potato soup yet. Good hot soup definitely helps when you are under the weather.

Yummy! I haven't had good potato soup since I was a kid...my Mom had the best recipe...I should try to get that from her :thumbsup:

I have been using Airborne too; the gals here at work swear by it...nasty tasting stuff, but I'll admit that when everyone else around me is hacking and coughing, I seem to miss whatever's going around...

I had bronchitis several weeks back and was taking Mucinex D, but after a visit to the doctor because I wasn't getting better, she noted my blood pressure was up...she blamed it on the Mucinex D, said that elevates BP in a lot of people...regular Mucinex in the blue box is OK though...just thought I'd share my useless info in case you're taking it LOL

the D would denote a decongestant, the most popular decongestant, and best, is pseudophedrine (Sudafed) It does increase blood pressure though. With it only being one molecule away from meth, guess that is to be expected!

so post up the recipe :) we wont call you any funny names... swear!!

It's not the healthiest recipe I've ever seen, but it sure is awesome. Top it with some crumbled bacon and it's a meal.

I did use fat free, low sodium chicken broth and I would recommend the low sodium broth because the ham base will add plenty of sodium to it. I also used skim milk as well. When done it didn't need any additional seasoning at all, was just perfect for me, wasn't too creamy or thick and wasn't too thin, just perfect. I also half boiled the potatoes with skin on. Made the skins easier to peel off and helped the potatoes retain some of their size as they will cook down if you peel them before boiling them.

2 tablespoons ham base
2 quarts chicken broth
1 cup chopped yellow onion
6 ounces (12 tablespoons) butter
2 pounds potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 cups milk
2/3 cup flour

Preparation:
Combine chicken broth in sauce pan with the ham base. Stir until the mixture is smooth. In separate stock pot; melt half of the butter; add onion and sauté until transparent. Add potato and pepper. Add chicken broth mixture and stir until well mixed. Bring mixture to a boil. In small pan, melt second half of the butter and add flour to make a roux. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until light golden brown in color. When stock comes to a boil, add the roux with a wire whisk. Return to a boil and slowly add the milk. If the soup is too thin, make additional roux (cook a little more flour in butter for at least 1 minute) and add it to the soup. If the soup is too thick, thin it out with more milk.

I have a sinus infection. I get about 2 a year & they suck - good drugs & it will be gone in a few days. Really sucks because it was 76 degrees here today.

Back