Goodbye K5 Gixxer ... hello 'Busa

Gearhead

Registered
I've ridden liter-bike race replicas almost exclusively over the past 7-8 years, but I started to get drawn to the Hayabusa lately. Recent positive reviews of the 'Busa in Sport Rider & Cycle World won me over so I'm swapping my black/yellow GSX-R1000 for an 05 Gray/Black 'Busa. I've been lurking a lot on this site to soak in as much info as I can.
When the 'Busa first came out in 1999, I just couldn't get over its unorthodox looks. I thought it was butt-ugly. But over time I concluded the beauty of the 'Busa is in what it does & how it does it. It's a modern classic and not many bikes can claim that honor. And going into its eighth model year virtually unchanged, it still boasts brisk sales.
The 1000's are getting better each year, but my riding skills are hopeless to keep up. For me, I think the 'Busa will provide more than enough torquey thrills plus be a better all-around sportbike. And with an aftermarket windscreen, bar risers and seat, it'll make a decent sport tourer. On a recent ride on my K5, I endured almost 150 miles just to get to the twisty stuff. And once I got there, nobody would ever mistake me for Kevin Schwantz.
I hope I'm making the right decision. My gut instinct tells me I am.

Welcome. Be interested to hear your comparison of the 2 bikes.

YEAH Gearhead I will be looking out for your review. Should be interesting. When exactly are you getting the Busa?

<!--EDIT|HayaBoosta03
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130418038 -->

I've ridden liter-bike race replicas almost exclusively over the past 7-8 years, but I started to get drawn to the Hayabusa lately. Recent positive reviews of the 'Busa in Sport Rider & Cycle World won me over so I'm swapping my black/yellow GSX-R1000 for an 05 Gray/Black 'Busa. I've been lurking a lot on this site to soak in as much info as I can.
When the 'Busa first came out in 1999, I just couldn't get over its unorthodox looks. I thought it was butt-ugly. But over time I concluded the beauty of the 'Busa is in what it does & how it does it. It's a modern classic and not many bikes can claim that honor. And going into its eighth model year virtually unchanged, it still boasts brisk sales.
The 1000's are getting better each year, but my riding skills are hopeless to keep up. For me, I think the 'Busa will provide more than enough torquey thrills plus be a better all-around sportbike. And with an aftermarket windscreen, bar risers and seat, it'll make a decent sport tourer. On a recent ride on my K5, I endured almost 150 miles just to get to the twisty stuff. And once I got there, nobody would ever mistake me for Kevin Schwantz.
I hope I'm making the right decision. My gut instinct tells me I am.
As an '05 owner (Blue & Silver - the fastest color!) I've found that I disagree with several things I'd read about the Busa:

The seating position is very comfortable for me (5'9" 165 lbs). I was prepared to get handlebar risers, lower the footpegs, whatever it took to not have a sore back/wrists. But that has not been a problem. The trick is to move around and change positions.

The brakes stop the thing - right now! I have a strong grip and I do have to clamp down with force, but I've had several situations where a panic stop was called for and the girl just flat out stopped.

It's a heavy bike, but it doesn't handle like one once you get moving. Maybe it's because my last ride was a 600 pounder from the early 80's, but this thing is really fun in the corners. I'm sure it's not as flickable as the 1K bikes, but I'm not a racer either.

When I made my purchase decision I sacrificed ultra light weight for straight line stability, durability and the ability to carry a passenger farther than a few miles. And I wanted to see what that motor was all about!

I've been completely happy so far. Let us know what you think!

And welcome to the board!

beerchug.gif

Welcome.  Be interested to hear your comparison of the 2 bikes.
+1. Of all the bikes, I'd like to have both, I've got a Busa, but been thinking the other way round, getting a K5, not instead of, but as well as.

I haven't been on the K5 but my opinion is you can throw it about quite easily.

That said, I love the Busa and won't be getting rid of it for a long long time.

Geez, I can't get my sentences out right today. Hope at least something makes sense.

I went the other way around...got rid of my Busa for a K6 1000.

I can tell you without a doubt that you will enjoy the Busa and depending you your size , riding style and how much you ride the Busa very well may be the better bike for you.
Sounds like you did your research and know what you are getting into.

The comfort on the Busa really depends on your size, anyone over 6' tall will be more comfortable on the Busa because of the real estate.
Also the seat is huge on the Busa...frankly that bike always made me feel small.

\For me @ 5'9" tall the K6 is more comfortable, seat is thinner so my legs are closer together instead of spread out, my reach to the bars are far less , my arms are in more.
The suspension is very much set up for street riding in the back, I have ridden a 350 mile day and its a piece of cake.

My conclusion is the K6 is actually more comfortable for me fit wise...
I could ride either bike a thousand miles over a few days with no trouble but id not want to do a thousand miles on either bike in one day...or any other bike for that matter.

Obviously the tall guys dont want to hear this but I am hoping Suzuki changes the Busa to fit shorter guys a little better...a shorter reach to the bars is the main thing and maybe a slighter thinner bike overall including less wide bars.
On my Gixxer @ a full tuck I am barely touching the tank...on the Busa I am on top of it scratching it up.
smile.gif

I can promise you one thing..that is a different bike and enjoyable. Any change is gonna be kinda fun.
Coming off a K5 your gonna feel the extra weight and notice the weaker brakes. You might notice some engine vibes in the foot pedals and if your tall your gonna love the fit.

Good Luck!

Good Luck.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Last May I made the move from a '03 GSXR1000 to a new '05 Busa and haven't regretted it for a single minute. You'll immediately notice the more comfortable riding position and during the first several days in the saddle you'll really notice the weight difference, but as human nature goes, over time that will eventually fade from your memory. If your riding style calls for a mix of moderate-to-aggressive riding in the twisties and a more relaxed sports touring mode, then the Busa is by all means an excellent choice!

Hello and welcome. I am sure that you are going to love every minute on that bike and know that you made an excellent decision!!!

I think you'll find the biggest difference in the corners. Instead of "point and shoot" type lines with small flickable bikes, I maintain long smooth lines and let the torque of the busa pull me through. I think it is even more fun this way, more enjoyable, and almost as fast through the twisties. I also love hitting the twisties with a passenger, something that isn't as comfortable on a liter bike. I think you'll also find the comute to and from the twisties more comfortable.

Oh yeah, welcome to the addiction!!

Funny but with me being artistic, it was the looks that sold me on the Busa instead of the performance. It was love at first sight. I would have been just as happy to park it in my living room and look at those beautiful lines. To me it was sculpture at its finest. I can just see my bike parked in the Sistine Chapel.

But I will admit. The first time I rode my busa I accidentally had an orgasm and needed a change of pants.

Congrats.... I recently did the EXACT SAME THING……. Went from a Yellow & Black K5 Gixxer 1K to an “05 Busa LE. Same reason too. You will not regret it.

Enjoy and welcome.

BTY….. make with the Pics.
smile.gif

Back