Good tires for street & occasional drag racing?

Rattlehead

Registered
It’s time for some new rubber and I’m hoping to find a decent set of tires that will do well for the street with a decent lifespan but still soft enough to hook good for the occasional trip to the drag strip. Bike has basic bolt ons with no power adders, extended 7” over, and I want to stick with the OEM size which I believe is 190/50/17 & 120/70/17?

I know Shinkos are cheap tires but I have a set of the Verge 011s on my Gen 2 Vmax and they worked well enough. Good grip and seem to last a while. Thoughts on these for the Busa? Other options?

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited:
Q4, Dragmax, and Power 5 would be my recommendation but not sure your size, shock, conditions, etc.
Thanks! I’m about two fiddy dressed. Stock shock with preload tightened two turns. The bike will be mostly for fun on the street but I will take it to the strip at least a few times. If I can manage at least 1.6 60’ times I’d be content.

Shinko 003 will do you just fine for what you are looking for ud stay away from dragmax for street riding. That flat profile wouldn't be all that fun to ride around on. On the track with the 003 you can definitely get that bike into the 1.3-1.4
Thanks! Looking at those now. Do you know what the lifespan is like on those? How do they handle on wet or damp pavement?

Lifespan will be low for Shinkos,
and for the excellent but soft compound Q4
Busa weight and torque will eat them.

Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the Shinko Stealth 003s. I know a lot of folks don't like them. Seen them referred to as "Stinkos" (lol), but I've had good luck with them on my other bikes for the type of riding I do. Looks like they offer them in a "soft" and "ultra soft". I'll probably try the soft version for a little more lifespan.

Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the Shinko Stealth 003s. I know a lot of folks don't like them. Seen them referred to as "Stinkos" (lol), but I've had good luck with them on my other bikes for the type of riding I do. Looks like they offer them in a "soft" and "ultra soft". I'll probably try the soft version for a little more lifespan.
I know a stage 2 turbo busa that runs a q4 and while that beast might only get about 1k out of that tire I think you could expect to see close to 3k or so with your setup and what your looking for. I'm definitely a dunlop fan and for most riders that aren't extended I suggest the q3+ too and everyone of them have thanked me after I installed them. If I was in your shoes I'd give the q4 a shot.

Another decades long Dunlop fan.
Q3 and Q4 are excellent.
Roadsmart 3 and 4 sport touring make a great rear Busa tire to equal the mileage a Q3 will get you on the front(I prefer a sport front for max grip and a sport touring rear on the Busa, for as said above, as the weight and torque eat the rears).
The Q's really aren't drag tires...but they sure are sticky, and will definately suit your needs.
You'll need to make suspension and psi adjustments to get the most out of what you want to do too.

How do the Q3s hook compared to the Q4 and Shinko 003 soft? How about lifespan compared to those two? I’m looking for a good balance between lifespan and stickiness. Also, one that could get me home safe if I got caught in the rain.

A shinko hookup is a drag tire, nothing more.
A Q3 is basically a street tire you can run at the track(road course)
A Q4 is basically a track tire that you can run on the street. It's softer and stickier than the Q3, and therefore gets less mileage.
Either is really good in the rain.
Rain is also nothing to be concerned about. Give yourself a little more room to stop, just in case.
I have been over 150mph, straight line, pouring rain, alot of water on the road, on Q2's on my gen2 Busa...smooth as glass.
No worries.

A shinko hookup is a drag tire, nothing more.
A Q3 is basically a street tire you can run at the track(road course)
A Q4 is basically a track tire that you can run on the street. It's softer and stickier than the Q3, and therefore gets less mileage.
Either is really good in the rain.
Rain is also nothing to be concerned about. Give yourself a little more room to stop, just in case.
I have been over 150mph, straight line, pouring rain, alot of water on the road, on Q2's on my gen2 Busa...smooth as glass.
No worries.
So sounds like either the Q3 or the Stealth 003 would work for my needs.

Stealth 003 is supposed to be sticky but give a longer lifespan than something like a hook up,
As you said, a Q3 is sticky but offers a longer life than a Q4.

Thanks again guys!

So sounds like either the Q3 or the Stealth 003 would work for my needs.

Stealth 003 is supposed to be sticky but give a longer lifespan than something like a hook up,
As you said, a Q3 is sticky but offers a longer life than a Q4.

Thanks again guys!
I'de leave the Stinkos at get the Q3's

Ok, Q3 it is then. Now I'm noticing that they offer two versions of the Q3. A Q3 and a Q3+. Now I have to figure out what the difference is between those. Tires are so damn complicated! lol

Another decades long Dunlop fan.
Q3 and Q4 are excellent.
Roadsmart 3 and 4 sport touring make a great rear Busa tire to equal the mileage a Q3 will get you on the front(I prefer a sport front for max grip and a sport touring rear on the Busa, for as said above, as the weight and torque eat the rears).
The Q's really aren't drag tires...but they sure are sticky, and will definately suit your needs.
You'll need to make suspension and psi adjustments to get the most out of what you want to do too.
I ran the roadsmart 3a season or two ago and didn't mind them but the one thing I didn't like was they are not as oval as the q3 and that made a little more work to lean and because of all the straight line riding I have in Michigan out was pretty quick to square off. I talked myself into trying another set of michelin my last set and got the power gp which is a good tire and supposed to be equivalent to a q3+ and while they are good tires in going back to q3+ when these are done. The michelin gives me so much more confidence mostly mental in sure. I'm just going to get heavier springs in my forks before the next set so that I can get a better suspension setting to help the front from cupping so bad and early on.

Back