Good reason why you should always give your bike a close inspection

Good eye, Blanca. If those are light weight aluminum, then they are one time throwaways. You hammer that sprocket, it wants to sheer the studs, and move off the studs seems like?

So, between the first load of the fresh new torque, the X and Y factors wanting to pop off the wheel carrier, the others might be all stress cracked trying to hold an out of uniform plate is too bad you don't have an x-ray machine to see if they are about to fail.

I think a couple bag of nuts are a lot easier on the bone marrow. That application is more for racing weight, not street application. But, hey, not my bike! :laugh: :thumbsup:

The rustoleum is already drying on the factory ones.
As little as I take them off or on I am not worried about the paint chipping or anything.
All other parts I used same paint on are still perfect and rock hard so this is what I decided to do.

Yes I thought about it too.
All of them are now just waiting for my next SR80 blast where they will same time fail and kill me.
Worst case but I cant afford to find out so I am taking them off.
I am also gonna send them back to Pro-bolt and expect a refund.
We will see, you dont get it if you dont ask.

And no I really dont see how I hammer the sprocket ?
I ride it sure but never 'launch' drag style.
Mostly when I am getting on it is when I'm cruising along in 6th see an open 1-2 miles and do a double down shoft to 4th and roll into full throttle and let her run.

It really is strange cuz like I said it has been fine then all of the sudden it cracked ?

Seems like when torqueing them because inner steel sleeve is so thin it allows itself and aluminum outer piece to expand ?
I don't know ?
Really strange how steel sleeve is fine and not cracked but outer piece is ?
Like you say alum is brittle and same as carbon fiber there's no stretch in either like steel .

Seems like when torqueing them because inner steel sleeve is so thin it allows itself and aluminum outer piece to expand ?
I don't know ?
Really strange how steel sleeve is fine and not cracked but outer piece is ?
Like you say alum is brittle and same as carbon fiber there's no stretch in either like steel .

The aluminum cools and contracts at a faster rate then the steel insert inside it. It will crack a little more each ride. After a while the crack will work it's way to the surface. If you want to reduce weight and maintain strength get Titanium nuts. They might be a little uncomfortable if you aren't thinking about the ones for the bike. :laugh:

Weight wasn't as much a concern or desire as it was just black .
Can't find 'black steel' nuts ?
Seems like a missing market ?
All things colored are aluminum or titanium .
Need to find a way to anodize steel in multiple colors ?

Good job man! I always check my bike in detail after every wash and that is once a week. Just cant ride with doing the check!

Back