Getting ready for retirement..so..

Thanks guys. It won't get driven much so it should last a lifetime. I am very happy with it and buying the Toyota brand speaks for it's self. The fit and finish is just amazing.

She sit's a little high with the 18 inch wheels so I can see some accessories down the road. I have to rearrange the garage now and see if I can get it inside. It is big.

r8

What an awesome deal! so when are we gonna go for a ride...
laugh.gif

Congratulations! I drove two yesterday at a demo. One had a 10,000lb trailer hooked to it.

Now is the time to buy a truck or SUV. Sales on them are waaaaayyy down due to gas prices. Some of the bigger full-sized trucks have been rumured to be as 50% off their sticker price 2 years ago.

BTW - I forgot to say congrats! Lovely truck. Tundras are great.

super.gif
AM -->
Professor @ Jul. 27 2008 said:
1487511[/ATTACH] AM]
Congratulations!   I drove two yesterday at a demo. One had a 10,000lb trailer hooked to it.
Your thoughts?

r8
I drove an extended cab/double cab 6.5' bed at a Toyota Prove It test drive at my local Tractor Supply. My wife went along with me. We went on about a 4.5 mile loop. I had driven a crew max last fall. After driving it I took the regular cab 8' bed on the same route pulling a 10K lb load. All three trucks had the same wheelbase with different cab/bed combinations to sort it out.

I'm a long time GM fan. I drove GMC, and Tundra back to back. Both were hard loaded CrewCab 5.5-5.8"￾ beds. The Tundra impressed me the most. Road wind noise was less. The ride was very good. Fantastic compared to my ¾ ton, but even better than the new GMC The 6speed auto is sweet, and I think with the ratios would fit for pulling my trailer. I currently have a 99 GMC Sierra 2500 (LD 8600 GVW) with a 6.0. With my trailer it always seems to want a gear that does not exist between 3rd and OD(4th). The 4.30 with the double OD in the Toyo seems like it would have a ratio to allow a slight lower gear in unlevel terrain.

I was impressed with the little features in the Tundra, like blue tooth. Rear seat room in the Tundra was much better than the GMC. I ran the driver's side seat all the way back on both the Crew max and the double cab. The seats front (and rear in the crew max) recline further back for the long trips. There are many storage compartments in the Tundra. I like being able to drop a laptop in the console. My wife comment on the ride and quietness in the cab, but she was comparing it to my 9 year old 178k mile truck. (however I previously test drove it back to back against new ones and had the same comment). The roll down rear window in the crew cab version is a nice addition. The rear gate drops gently etc. Parking turning radius seemed to be better than the others.

The 10k load pulled flawlessly although the route limited me to 50mph. Acceleration from the 10 or so stops was very good. It was on a very short trailer that was overall lower than the bed rails. No wind resistance. I'd sure like to pull my enclosed trailer with one and likely will propose that when ready to buy. I'd like to see how it pulls at 75mph compared to mine.
I have has the opportunity to drive quite a few other new full size trucks the last few years.

Negative things I noticed "“ yes, I'm nitpicking it. It is a great truck and I has to think hard about it.

The shift pattern/selector (the column shift in particular) was a bit confusing but I'm not sure how to make it better with a 6 speed. I'm sure it would be fine once I was used to it.

I didn't see a way to make it auto shift 1-5 and stay out of 6th gear. That was one of the things I hated with the early version of the 5speed Allison in the HD GMs

The hard loaded Crewmax limited had an electric motor for tilt and telescoping wheel. I found it to be a bit slow compared to the manual versions in the other SR5 models. I tilt mine up to get in and out and it would not be as quick and easy with the electric version.
Rear seat. On the Crewmax, the back of the rear seat folds down to stack cargo on it. Others have a design allowing the bottom to lift up exposing the floor. I think the floor is a better place to stack cargo in the rear seat area, making it more secure than elevating it to near window height. The double cab Tundra may fold up. I didn't try it.

Consumer reports give them a pretty low reliability rating for the 4wd version. I'm looking for a 2wd and they are the highest ranked of all the full-size trucks. It is also ranked the highest in owner satisfaction in CR. I'm sure the initial low number on the 4wd will come up pretty quickly. Toyota seems to stay on top of the game.

The only thing that keeps me from buying one is that mine has been paid off for a few years. It is kind of hard to justify buying a new one when mine still is a decent truck. However"¦. Pushing 200k miles has me thinking about it. I've pulled my trailer with a 5.4 F150 and a 5.3 Chevy 1500. While they will pull it, neither pulls it as comfortable as my 6.0 2500 GMC. There is no doubt the Tundra will fill the gap and get me back to a ½ ton vehicle for a smoother ride.

super.gif

Thanks Professor. Highest towing capacity, 381 hp, 401 foot pounds of torque.

Yes, still reading on the Tow/Haul option. I have the six speed tranny. It can be done however.

The owners manual is a small phone book.
wowold.gif

Well, if ever passing through will hook that trailer up and do some serious up hill climbs.
thumb_up.gif

r8

0052-1.jpg

Mikki asked if I would drive her down to Lake Havasu for her monthly Kidney/Pancreas Doctor. Sure!

So, a phone call to the local truck shop and I bought one of these while I was there. No need to waste gasoline right?
winkold.gif

Snug Top in matching color. Warranted for life.
thumb_up.gif

r8

View attachment 1592990

View attachment 1592991

PAH!!! Whatever... You're only likely to get like 250-300,000 miles on that thing before it needs some work... WTH...

beerchug.gif
Nice Truck Bro. Good time to be buying big trucks, dealers are drowning in them.

PAH!!!   Whatever... You're only likely to get like 250-300,000 miles on that thing before it needs some work...  WTH...  

beerchug.gif
   Nice Truck Bro.   Good time to be buying big trucks, dealers are drowning in them.
laugh.gif

And I promised I would not buy accessories.  
sadnews.gif

Extended warranty for 75,000 with 0 deductable. No worries.
winkold.gif

I'll die before that many miles. 44,000 on the 2000 Ford.  
wowold.gif

r8

Very nice John. Bed cover looks great. I'm thinkin Toyota when we replace the truck. Gotta get Jen a SUV first.

I love the new Tundra's---Congrats on the buy. I couldn't find one that I wanted so I got this instead. I love the Titan---but still like the Tundra better. Good luck!

titan.JPG

Back