Getting off the bike

ROYZGSX

Registered
I attend many track events .. even though I do pretty good and can keep up with the crowd.. I cannot get myself off the bike.  I do lean the bike over enough to scrape parts...

Any tips would be good.  I have not been able to get off ANY bike.. not jsut the Busa.

http://trackdayphoto.com/photogallery/photo00015170/IMG_5365.jpg

Busa.jpg

Take a track day school. Some traning and practice and you'll get there.

Try supporting your weight with your feet in the corners instead of your butt. It's a workout.

But bottom line, don't do anything you're not comfortable with.

You did mention something about suspension set up when I met you. What was that exactly? I mention to you about my weicht and me scraping parts.. totaly something different than getting off the bike... but you did provide me good info..

Royzgsx,
I assure you I am no racer by any stretch and haven't even been on the track, but after reading Lee Parks "Total Control", my riding improved significantly. Now I am only repeating what he said in his book. Your inside arm should be doing all the steering and your outside arm should be relaxed and almost resting on the ouside of the tank. I noticed from your picture your outside elbow is way up high. This position can cause your arms to oppose each other in the turn making the bike difficult to control. It would seem almost impossible to hang off the bike with your elbow up so high. I struggled with the same problem and even after reading the book, found myself doing it out of habit when I got nervous from entering a corner too fast. Now it is part of my corner pre position routine and I have more confidence entering the turns. You may have other stuff going on that only a professional can help you with. Even if you are considering a track course, "Total Control" will make you better prepared for the lessons - I think I got mine on Amazon for about $20 delivered.
Drive it like you stole it!
Cougar

But bottom line, don't do anything you're not comfortable with. [/QUOTE]

+1 ...totally agree with that mate!!

<!--EDIT|shenoyp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125741880 -->

Literally:

Balls of your feet on the pegs.

Pick your rear end up were you loose contact with the seat.  Not slide your rear.

Put your crack at the edge of the seat.

Put your visor close to the visor.  Like if you were trying to look at yourself.

Do all this before the turn.

In the picture your rear is in the middle of the seat. I couldn't come off either on any bike with my rear in that position.

I am not on a Busa but do ride the track.  I thought I was moving my body over but I wasn't.  A less lean angle needed coming off to the side.

<!--EDIT|Nemisis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125753990 -->

ROYZGSX ,

You might try using some rear sets if you are have trouble keeping the outside foot on the peg when hanging off .
Rear sets also raises the peg position .

If thats not what is keeping you from getting the knees down ...... practice practice practice is all I know to tell you .

I attend many track events .. even though I do pretty good and can keep up with the crowd.. I cannot get myself off the bike.  I do lean the bike over enough to scrape parts...

Any tips would be good.  I have not been able to get off ANY bike.. not jsut the Busa.

http://trackdayphoto.com/photogallery/photo00015170/IMG_5365.jpg
If you get off the seat, you'll need less lean and will stop scraping parts. For me, dragging hard parts is scarier than hanging off the side of the bike.

It's so much easier to teach in person. There's a few tricks that may help with the psychology of doing something unnatural like getting off the bike. If you have a very stable set of stands, you can do this at a standstill. It's very difficult to get a feel for for some when you're just trying to focus on getting through corners.

First off, you're going to have your weight primarily on your legs. Ass crack to edge of seat is actually a pretty decent rule of thumb. Your upper body is important too. When you are learning, it's best to exaggerate technique. You'll be countersteering through the corner. While you are doing that, also use that force to push your whole body out off the inside of the bike. Believe it or not, short tracks with lower speeds are one of the best ways to learn these things. Just persist. With experience and possibly some proper training, I have no doubt you'll get there.

<!--EDIT|gixxstar
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134902958 -->

BusaWhipped, for real. i am the same way. i hang off the bike alot, and that means i have to lean the bike less, and that means more lean ability in case you need more, ie turns get tighter. my friend has that style where he bearly hangs off, but he does have to lean way over.

Back