Gen 2 busa hot start issue.

Ryan Utah

Registered
Hey guys My name is Ryan and I’m from India.
I have a 16 busa with 35000 kilometers on it.
My had some transmission issue where my bike got stuck in 5th gear and wouldn’t go down.
Got that fixed but ever since I’ve had that fixed from the mechanic my busa has been giving me a hot start issue.
It starts perfectly fine when cold and rides phenomenal. As soon it gets hot (let’s say 15 min or more) I have to stop for least 20-30 min before itl crank up again.
It acts like the battery is low but I’m sure it’s not.
I’ve tried getting a new starter motor but that didn’t help.
The coolant is fine , the fan is running normally , the bikes running fine no noise or anything .
What could be the issue.
The bike is at a Suzuki service center in moorti Delhi .
Any advice would be great as am I’m not that good with the mechanics of it all.

My had some transmission issue where my bike got stuck in 5th gear and wouldn’t go down.
Got that fixed but ever since I’ve had that fixed from the mechanic my busa has been giving me a hot start issue.
It starts perfectly fine when cold and rides phenomenal. As soon it gets hot (let’s say 15 min or more) I have to stop for least 20-30 min before itl crank up again.
The coolant is fine , the fan is running normally , the bikes running fine no noise or anything .
What could be the issue.
Welcome.....

There are more than a few threads on this subject as the gen 2 has been out for so long..

The gen 3 also inherited this issue....

Some say to open the throttle slightly when cranking...some have luck with this and others don't...

Before the work got done on your bike you never had an issue? Working on the transmission shouldn't have initiated this.

Good luck.

What could be the issue.
Hard to say, I have never experienced that issue on my Gen2.

Suggest they get the bike warm and if it is at the point where it will not start, check if the fuel pump is running, check for ignition and from there see which sensor is faulty.

So out of curiosity, what happens in India if they catch you speeding, say 150 miles per hour?

I had the hot start issue happen twice on my bike, once I was on a hill so I bump started it and the other I was stopped at the water front and it took a while to start it...

There was a time I was sort of concerned to shut it down for fear it wouldn't start but it hasn't done it in a couple seasons.....so far....

H
Welcome.....

There are more than a few threads on this subject as the gen 2 has been out for so long..

The gen 3 also inherited this issue....

Some say to open the throttle slightly when cranking...some have luck with this and others don't...

Before the work got done on your bike you never had an issue? Working on the transmission shouldn't have initiated this.

Good luck.
Hey
Thank you for the quick reply . Any sort of help would be appreciated since this issue has been troubling me for more than a year now .
Yes sometimes opening the throttle would solve it. But the bike would start on a really high rev.
No, before the work on my bike I’ve never had an issue like this. Just normal super bike issues like waiting for a bit when it’s too hot and all.
Nothing that would hinder my ride.
The technician says he will open the engine and pack it back up properly day after ( Wednesday).
I will keep you all updated. I’m a bit sentimental when it comes to the issues regarding my motorcycle. Love her lots.

Suggest they get the bike warm and if it is at the point where it will not start, check if the fuel pump is running, check for ignition and from there see which sensor is faulty.

So out of curiosity, what happens in India if they catch you speeding, say 150 miles per hour?

Hi
To be honest I don’t trust the technicians here.
He says it might have something to do with the barrings or something. Since I’ve already tried other methods like the battery , the starter motor etc. didn’t help.

To your other question nothing much
Coz they can’t really catch us.
But even if they do it’s just a couple of bucks added to their pockets on the spot and they let us go.

H

Hey
Thank you for the quick reply . Any sort of help would be appreciated since this issue has been troubling me for more than a year now .
Yes sometimes opening the throttle would solve it. But the bike would start on a really high rev.
No, before the work on my bike I’ve never had an issue like this. Just normal super bike issues like waiting for a bit when it’s too hot and all.
Nothing that would hinder my ride.
The technician says he will open the engine and pack it back up properly day after ( Wednesday).
I will keep you all updated. I’m a bit sentimental when it comes to the issues regarding my motorcycle. Love her lots.
Here is a thread from 2009 which speaks on the issue even then...

You are not in an isolated class as the gen 2 has had this issue since it was released....and now the gen 3 is following suit.

Opening the engine won't resolve this and might cause more issues...

I have had this issue on my 2nd gen. Bike would start fine cold but if I stop for gas it would not turn over fast enough to start. Sometimes to get it running I could put the bike in top gear and roll the motor over, and then it would start. This could possibly be a fuel vapor issue or injectors leaking fuel, so turning the motor over would vent the vapor out. The fix for me was actually a new battery, I had good voltage but was lacking the amps. Also, make sure your grounds are clean and tight.

I had the hot start issue happen twice on my bike, once I was on a hill so I bump started it and the other I was stopped at the water front and it took a while to start it...

There was a time I was sort of concerned to shut it down for fear it wouldn't start but it hasn't done it in a couple seasons.....so far....
Give me a bit more info. Does the starter turn the motor normally and it just won't start, or does the starter strain and turns the motor over with difficulty?

Here is a thread from 2009 which speaks on the issue even then...

You are not in an isolated class as the gen 2 has had this issue since it was released....and now the gen 3 is following suit.

Opening the engine won't resolve this and might cause more issues...

interesting going through that link.
Sometimes when we put a machine and a human together, strange things happen.
I don't get much out of that link from a root cause analysis or conclusion though.

For bikes which sits a lot and don't get ridden often, even if they have a trickle charger connected, the battery sulfates. It means the plates do not short out, but they get coated with debris. Voltage will test normally and charging voltage will test normally, however the battery will lose its cranking amps ability when strained. The lead sulfate crystals covering the plates, causes additional heat build up in the battery. So my guess is when the bike is nice and warm and some of that got to the battery, there are electrons moving between the plates causing fault currents.

Last edited:
Give me a bit more info. Does the starter turn the motor normally and it just won't start, or does the starter strain and turns the motor over with difficulty?
In my case, the battery was new (OEM Yuasa), and fully charged, I had just come back from a fairly long ride and shut it down to talk to my neighbor...when I went to restart in 5 or so minutes, the engine turned over like the battery was dead....I turned the key off again and tried to the same effect...I then bump started it on a hill (in 4th gear) and it started and I never had any further issues like it until one other time when I had just returned from a ride and went to the water front to look around...this time it started after a couple tries...

I was always a little nervous about shutting it down after that...

interesting going through that link.
Sometimes when we put a machine and a human together, strange things happen.
I don't get much out of that link from a root cause analysis or conclusion though.

For bikes which sits a lot and don't get ridden often, even if they have a trickle charger connected, the battery sulfates. It means the plates do not short out, but they get coated with debris. Voltage will test normally and charging voltage will test normally, however the battery will lose its cranking amps ability when strained. The lead sulfate crystals covering the plates, causes additional heat build up in the battery. So my guess is when the bike is nice and warm and some of that got to the battery, there are electrons moving between the plates causing fault currents.
I only supplied the link to show it's not a new issue amongst Hayabusa owners-there are other such threads and posts when I search for them...

My bike has never been on a trickle charger, I put it on a smart charger a few times in the winter but that charger will only charge if needed...it basically checks battery health...surprisingly enough it has never charged my battery over the winter...I also use it on my deep cycle garden tractor battery...

In my case, the battery was new (OEM Yuasa), and fully charged, I had just come back from a fairly long ride and shut it down to talk to my neighbor...when I went to restart in 5 or so minutes, the engine turned over like the battery was dead....I turned the key off again and tried to the same effect...I then bump started it on a hill (in 4th gear) and it started and I never had any further issues like it until one other time when I had just returned from a ride and went to the water front to look around...this time it started after a couple tries...

If the starter was straining to turn the motor, but later was fine, it means not enough amps went to the commutator through the brushes. That could be a bad connection, dirty contacts inside the starter solenoid, or your new battery was overheating from the 14.8V charge and caused some fault current. If you have not changed anything on your bike since, it will happen again at some point.

It also depends on how you purchased the battery. If the electrolyte was filled and it did not sit for at least 24 hours before charging, you may have some of the separators damaged inside the battery. I alway do that part myself.

At the end of the day, there is no rocket science to this.

If the starter was straining to turn the motor, but later was fine, it means not enough amps went to the commutator through the brushes. That could be a bad connection, dirty contacts inside the starter solenoid, or your new battery was overheating from the 14.8V charge and caused some fault current. If you have not changed anything on your bike since, it will happen again at some point.

It also depends on how you purchased the battery. If the electrolyte was filled and it did not sit for at least 24 hours before charging, you may have some of the separators damaged inside the battery. I alway do that part myself.

At the end of the day, there is no rocket science to this.
I find that many here have had the same issue including gen 3 owners with less than 100 miles on their bikes...so hopefully battery and starter issues are most likely not the cause. There is an annotation of how to correct this issue in the owner's manual...

I've owned the bike for quite a while and have had this issue twice in many kms of riding......I'd say it is a "quirk" of the platform....

I find that many here have had the same issue including gen 3 owners with less than 100 miles on their bikes...so hopefully battery and starter issues are most likely not the cause. There is an annotation of how to correct this issue in the owner's manual...

I've owned the bike for quite a while and have had this issue twice in many kms of riding......I'd say it is a "quirk" of the platform....
So according to the owners manual, opening the throttle slightly for a hot start makes you think the starter motor is going to spin faster?

So according to the owners manual, opening the throttle slightly for a hot start makes you think the starter motor is going to spin faster?
Beats me, I didn't write it...

Could be there is a build up of compression from hot gases?

This is what you wrote on November 22nd last year.

"I had it happen a couple times and just figured the battery needed changing...I might have been correct as I changed it and never had it happen again....(knock on wood)"

???

Bee, you gotta be consistent with what you tell us, otherwise nobody is going to listen to you.

This is what you wrote on November 22nd last year.

"I had it happen a couple times and just figured the battery needed changing...I might have been correct as I changed it and never had it happen again....(knock on wood)"

???

Bee, you gotta be consistent with what you tell us, otherwise nobody is going to listen to you.
I never really looked into it then until later...hindsight is worth a lot I suppose...

I thought like you do-if the battery sounds like it was struggling, then it must be the battery....

It wasn't until I heard more and more about this with new batteries and later new bikes...I didn't use the search feature as much as I should have.

I never really looked into it then until later...hindsight is worth a lot I suppose...

I thought like you do-if the battery sounds like it was struggling, then it must be the battery....

It wasn't until I heard more and more about this with new batteries and later new bikes...I didn't use the search feature as much as I should have.
Huh?

November 22nd you told us you put in a new battery after it happened and it never happened again.

Today you tell us it only happened twice and it happened with the brand spanking new battery?

So what was it, or is your memory simply failing you?

Back