GEN 1 2003 MODEL YOSHIMURA FULL SYSTEM NO COMMANDER

Str8 Edge

Registered
Hello all I am new here.I recently owned a used 2003 model with K&N air filter and Yoshimura full system TRIOVAL carbon single out,but the bike has no Power Commander so I was wondering if there has been an ECU tune in the past,cause the bike runs without any popping or flat spots...or if not..is the O2 sensor enough for the stock ECU to adjust to the K&N and the full system? Never had a bike with O2 sensor in the past neither I was messing with ECUs so I'm curious.

Welcome to the forum @Str8 Edge.

Sometimes shops that alter the ECU will put their sticker on it.

A tune is not mandatory for most aftermarket exhausts on the Hayabusa. As you guessed, it handles it well enough. It still is a good idea to get a tune, but not required.

Popping in general is caused by the PAIR valve which burns excess fuel in the exhaust. It is very common for people to disable the PAIR valve. That is another way the popping may have been eliminated.

The stock O2 is a narrow band, and can only make very small changes to the air/fuel ratio.
For the O2 to be able to make a/f changes to accommodate for aftermarket exhaust and engine mods, it needs to be swapped for a wide band O2...and you'll need a datalogger.
Otherwise, the a/f Can be tuned through the ecu, using Ecu Editor or Woolrich, which lets you change most anything in the ecu's settings.
All a power commander can do is adjust a/f(some can do ignition), but it is not needed(since a/f can be done through the ecu), and you are just paying $300+ for uneeded hardware.
Finally, the bike will run fine with an aftermarket exhaust and air filter...and using the stock a/f tune.
The engine will run better with a Good a/f tune, but it is Not a need, and Not harming the engine.
A good dyno tune will smooth out throttle response, add a little hp throughout the revs, and make the bike smoother to ride, it's worth doing.
But, you're ok just like it is.
Welcome to the org

Picture of the O2 sensor?

Yes; are you sure there is an O2 on it?
If so; is it connected to anything?
As there will either be aftermarket data logging wiring on the bike now for the O2, or, someone could have installed a full gen2(2008-2020)exhaust, as they work fine, and the factory O2 may be in the pipe simply because they didn't have the block-off bolt to replace it with.
Pictures of the O2, and any wiring around the ecu or under the seat would be helpful.
You also said that you had been "messing with the ecu", so what have you done to it?

An 03 would not have an O2 sensor stock. At least mine doesnt. :rolleyes:
I think the euro ones did, Str8 Edge is from Greece.

cheers
ken

The Euro market wiring diagram definitely has an O2 sensor in it.
IMG_20230101_235811.jpg

Yes; are you sure there is an O2 on it?
If so; is it connected to anything?
As there will either be aftermarket data logging wiring on the bike now for the O2, or, someone could have installed a full gen2(2008-2020)exhaust, as they work fine, and the factory O2 may be in the pipe simply because they didn't have the block-off bolt to replace it with.
Pictures of the O2, and any wiring around the ecu or under the seat would be helpful.
You also said that you had been "messing with the ecu", so what have you done to it?

IMG20230102144449.jpg

My apologies @Str8 Edge
I didn't realize you were in Greece, and as @kml pointed out above, the gen1 Does have a factory O2 sensor there.
The U.S. and a couple other markets do not.
So I am sorry for the confusion.
But, what I posted above is still correct;
The stock O2 is a narrow band, and only makes very small a/f changes.
And, it is safe to run the bike with a full exhaust and no tune, but, if you can get it dyno tuned, it will gain you a few hp, and better yet, smooth out the throttle response and have a more linear power curve.

My apologies @Str8 Edge
I didn't realize you were in Greece, and as @kml pointed out above, the gen1 Does have a factory O2 sensor there.
The U.S. and a couple other markets do not.
So I am sorry for the confusion.
But, what I posted above is still correct;
The stock O2 is a narrow band, and only makes very small a/f changes.
And, it is safe to run the bike with a full exhaust and no tune, but, if you can get it dyno tuned, it will gain you a few hp, and better yet, smooth out the throttle response and have a more linear power curve.
Its odd that one of the previous owners bought a Yoshimura full system and a K&N and he didnt complete the stage 1 process with a PC or ECU tweak.If I recall correctly bikes were losing power with full systems without a proper a/f map.

Its odd that one of the previous owners bought a Yoshimura full system and a K&N and he didnt complete the stage 1 process with a PC or ECU tweak.If I recall correctly bikes were losing power with full systems without a proper a/f map.

It probably lost a few hp in the low to midrange, but gained it on top(without a tune).
See if you can find anyone who can dyno tune it through the ecu, before you buy a Power Commander.

What about Gen 2 crank and intake cam in exhaust? I read this will get me to 1340.Are there others mods required to do this?

I know that you have said that a gen2 is 4-5k Euros more than a gen1 there, but; would it not be about the same money to sell yours and buy a gen2?
Vs spending money building your current engine?
I don't know what parts or shipping costs are like there, so I'm just wondering if it would be more cost effective for you in the long run?

I know that you have said that a gen2 is 4-5k Euros more than a gen1 there, but; would it not be about the same money to sell yours and buy a gen2?
Vs spending money building your current engine?
I don't know what parts or shipping costs are like there, so I'm just wondering if it would be more cost effective for you in the long run?
Well except the fact that I like the gen 1 appearance more,the other thing I like about it is that is more raw and primitive without A/B modes etc,besides that..its nice to rebuild an engine to a more powerful one and have 0 miles in it.

IMG20221224105619.jpg

Back