Gearbox problem 2nd gear

jessie928

Registered
Gidday,

Got a problem with my 99 busa, when in second gear at random intervals, and random RPM/LOAD the gearbox goes neutral and then kicks back into gear, this happens very fast and feels like the chain is missing a whole revolution of the front cog and then just jumping back on( this is obviously not happening). It only happens in second gear. It there is no associated bad noise coming from the box either, even when it happens. I am nearly thinking its a EMS based problem when the bike cuts out and back in really quickly, but its real jerky when it happens and if i am mid corner under acceleration i get some good sideways action hapening....
I was wondering if anyone has any idea before i pull the box down and have a gander myself.

Cheers,
JEs

I don't know if Suzuki has the same problem, but the symptoms you describe sound exactly like the 2nd gear problem that Yamaha FJ's have had. The dogs on 2nd gear get rounded off (usually due to a bent shift fork in the Yamahas) and it starts jumping out of gear. I really hope that isn't the problem, as that gets expensive in a hurry. Replace the gear & have them undercut(if this is the problem) if you really want to fix it. About it for my $.02  
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|BusainSD
Reason for Edit: "because.."|1102391603 -->

Yep...Sounds like you've lost 2nd gear...Have you checked your sprockets for extensive wear???If yes, what did you find/see???If no, do that as a starting point...Tranny work is expensive...
evil.gif

it still has second gear, and doesent throw itself out of gear, just feels like it misses a few tooth every now and then
i have ruled out sprokets by pysical inspection and the fact that it ONLY happens in second gear

I have the same problem in 4th. Might have to tear it down and check some things out. 04 Model at that. Called a buddy he said it might be the shift fork? Not sure but if I'm going in I will definately look at getting the trans cut.......yikes$$$$$

Back