Fuel pump issues

thank you
ive got an 04,,,I hope i by passed some of the earlier problems,,but to hear the suzuki reps...the 99-07 are the same,,,I was told by the dealer when I bought mine new,,that that wasnt the case,,he owned a slew of bikes in personal garage,,,,I didnt think he was lieing,,I went there 5 times b4 I bought it,,,, he also said the 04[ dont know if its true] ran 190mph,, I know about the limitor but,who knows,,,Ive also been hearing alot about 2nd gear prob in the 07, theres a guy on the board with 2nd out and rebuilding it,,,but in the last few weeks ive heard about it elsewhere too,,,but I dont know,,,,anyother tips on what to look for,,feel free to postum,,thanks man ,,to all of you,,,,,,,,,,,,

With a 04 you've missed the know big issues..
99-00 has the 16 bit ECU, inline fuelpump and camchain tensioner issue
99-03 has the lockup clutch and the stupid starterclutch setup which can break the
case if you have a backfire..
04-07 don't have any specific at all that I know of.. Then again they are newer with fewer miles on them.. But I'm prettyy sure I'll notice the issues first with my 99.. :D
The biggest reason for second gear giving up is popping wheelies..

I might have f*cked up the year on some issue..

???Ive noticed that after you turn the key , during the "check" system swirl ,The fuel pump primes,,,no big deal,,But for the first time I noticed after taking her for a ride and filled the tank,,I fireed it up and [ I still have factory exhaust and I was in a remore sient area ,,and my bike is pretty quite while it idles,,,Well I bent oover slighty to get my gloves and my ear was near the tank,,and I could hear what sounded like the pump running,,So I put my ear up to the tank and then right on it and you can hear what sounds like the "check system " noise,,,Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I hope its normal running all the time like that,,I ran it down the road,,and it runs sweet,,no issues,,So I pulled over and got off the bike and listened and you can still hear it running,,,,,is it supposed to run continous,,or Am i just missing when it periodically shuts off<<<i havent ever heard it,,but didnt ever listen for it either,,,,,,So,,do they run continous,,or not ,, and with the motor running,,more prompt on the right side or put your ear right over the cap while idleing,,,,,,Now when I turn the key on,,its normal,,while the gages are swirling doing their check,,its priming ,,but then stops,,and during that mode,,the pump sounds like it did when the day I bought it new,,It has 8500 miles and its an 04 ,,,,,It isnt any louder running During the check,,,but I havent ever noticed that if you listen ,even at at a foot away ,,now that I know its there,,,,you can here it run,,,,,,,so ,,,,,chime in busa buds and pump scholars,,,is it uncommon to hear it while idling thru the tank,,and it { appears} to be running all the time,,unless it is shutting down once its met its prime during my ride,,,I thought at worst,,it was weak,,running longer to meet its prime pressure and shut off level,,,,,,,,,,,PS I do have a PC on board,,maybe the extra 5-7 % extra fuel over the factory ECU is what is making her sing,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
The pump doesn't prime, it builds up the fuelpressure to, I think, 42PSI and then shuts off to save the battery.. As soon as you start the engine
the pump starts and the fuelpressure regulator decides how much goes to the engine and how much is pumped back to the tank..

Last edited:
yup, and the noise you hear is just the fuel pump motor. It's a good thing. No noise, no fuel. :beerchug:
The pump doesn't prime, it builds up the fuelpressure to, I think, 42PSI and then shuts off to save the battery.. As soon as you start the engine
the pump starts and the fuelpressure regulator decides how much goes to the engine and how much is pumped back to the tank..

on the avearge , how long does it run before shutting dowm? She isnt that loud ,,but it seems like every time I put my ear up to the tank I can hear it running,,,,,,other than a PSI gauge,,whats a good way to check it,?,,,and so if it builds 42 psi,,,,how long at idle[ so to say to monitor it ] should it take to shut down,,and would {such as a cars fuel pump} keep running if she is weak,,,,8500 miles isnt that much on a pump ,,,a pump can puke at any times,,,,so whats your take on this,,,and whats the average life[ miles/years ] of a pump,,and is the OEM a HO pump?????and how will you know when its is getting weak,,

Last edited:
If it loses fuelpressure which will force the injectors to go at 100% dutycycle and the FI light will go on and let you know this...
A broken pump usually sounds REALLY much and bad or is completely dead..
You'll know when the pump is bad.. :D

Don't think your pump has any issues..

The OEM pump is not HO. The Gen II pump is limited to about 210 - 220 HP reliably. I have gone through two of them before giving up on OEM. "Failure" is subtle, and happens during extended high rpm runs when the motor starts to mysteriously lean out.

Thanks,,
When working on cars,some external fuel pumps[ factory bottom block entry] will loose presure and the engine will starve at a high rpm,the pump caannot keep up with the demand as it weakens,,or it will leak thru the diapham {sp} into the oil or leak thru the weep hole onto the ground,,,IT will also lose its prime and leak back down over nite , it should hold fuel up to the carb if you were to pull theline off over nite and turn the cat over,,the fuel should still be at the engine,,after market pumps , some will either fail,,or loose pressure exspecialy at high rpms,,but in my case,,Ive not worked on these pumps and was just looking into the warning signs,,,and as written above from all of you ,,good advicewa given,,and no FI lites have come on,,just worried about the [seeminly] constant sound of the pump running,,thanks to you all

Back