Front sprocket - feedback please

Cjbowler

Registered
Please don't refer me to prior posts! I can read.

I have a 2007 Busa. I am 240 lbs suited up. I am considering going -1 on the front to 16. Would that increase my launches to extreme wheelie mode or just moderately. I am not changing the rear at this time. All thought welcome. I just want to know what do I have to look forward to?

Cj

i have an 04 and it had stock sprockets when i got it, dropped one tooth in the front and it made a good noticeable difference. I think i will leave it on and keep it this way

Thank you. How many links did you have to remove from chain, if any. Does the front tire pop up frequently during strong pulls?

So are you gearing it primarily for the strip or the street? I have the same question myself because I'm about to buy chain/sprockets for my 03 and A lot of guys go 16/42 but that is for the street. Not sure how a 16/40 setup would do on the strip?

It is for the street. I don't mind the wheel coming up but not looking for a wheelie monster. Sounds like I should go plus 2 in rear also

My sprockets are 15/42 which is -2 +2 but it's also lowered, stretched to 65" and strapped. My bike wheelies about 6 inches out to around the 60ft mark. With that set up I'm getting 1.50-1.54 60ft times which are not great, but not to bad either for a stock motor gen 1. It's all in the clutch hand.

it wont be a wheelie monster but it definetely acquired faster acceleration down low. My bike is a street bike and i dont go out to the track and i like the way its setup now. IIRC going one down up front is about the same as going up two in the back so one or the other; dropping one in the front AND going up two in the back will give you even more acceleration.

What are you trying to accomplish? I run 18/40 on the street, 16/40 on tracks with long straights, 16/42 on tracks with short straights. The Busa isn't a wheelie monster with any of those combinations.

I have read alot of threads on gearing and went to that website where you punch in the different combinations and it gives you generated results. No matter how many times you ask the question you will get a ton of different answers. i dont know if there is a wrong setup? But it seems like most guys who are just riding thier busas on the street go with a 16/42 set up. Thats what i'm gonna order, everybody says faster acceleration and a slight decrease in overall top speed which shouldnt be an issue with a busa anyways:whistle:

Being a big guy myself, I stay away from the 16t and always run 17's on the front. I just go up in the back. I ran a 17/43 for a long time and it is about right, you are not spinning the guts out of it on the interstate. The 17/45 was a big difference in rpm at 75mph

On my 03 i just went -1 +2 and i havnt had a problem withwheelies unless i romp on it hard and im a big boy. My only complaint is it runs higher rpm's and if you do any freeway riding you will see lower gas mileage.

It is for the street. I don't mind the wheel coming up but not looking for a wheelie monster. Sounds like I should go plus 2 in rear also
Yes you should, with your weight a 16 up front alone isn't going to do that much, you'll be disappointed.
16/42 is the hot ticket for a reason :thumbsup:

Back