Frame slider help

Pit Bull 13

Registered
Well today is my birthday and my wife ordered me frame sliders. now i gotta cut my plastic's so im skeched out about that.. any good advise or help would be great.. thanks. I have a few days till I get them.

when i did mine i went to the hardware store and got a bolt the same size as the slider bolt but only about 1" long. took the fairing off and put the 1" bolt where the slider went. then i put some chalk on the head of the bolt and eased the fairing back into place. took the fairing back off and looked where the chalk mark was. went to lowes and bought a hole saw slightly larger than the slider. cut the hole where the mark was. scarry, but it worked for me. MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE.

good luck

I got R&G frame sliders. Look on their website they have a tutorial. I don't know what frame sliders your getting but the principle should be the same.

Buy a bolt the same size as the frame slider bolt and cut the head off. Grind the bolt to a point and install into the frame. Mount plastics onto bike and remove to see the bolts mark on the inside. Use a unibit, if you can get one big enough for your frame slider, and you can drill the hole buy hand turning the unibit. Worked for me on the GSXR 750.

you dont have to take the plastics off even once. its alot of work and you risk breaking tabs everytime you do if its a gen 2. just measure and use blue painters tape on the fairing. draw your cross section from your measurements. measure several times. if your off a bit its no biggie. us a 1/4" drill bit. use a flash light and check your alignment. you may have to peck through the insulation on the back of the plastic. next drill a half in hole. use a hole saw or a large bit. i recommend a hole saw. drill slow and carefully.

now that you have a hole you can work with and you can see where you are bolting up to you can take the engine mount bolt out and slid in the new one. put just the slider and draw a new circle which wont be a perfect circle on the tape. dremel to the line. test fitment. slowly sand till you get the perfect fit you want. should take about 45min per side to get it just right. with some patience you will have a very nice install that will look much better than most stealerships will perform.

oh yea dont forget to take some fine sandpaper and sand the edges smooth by hand. also be careful with the dremel. it will slip out of the hole and could scratch the plastics. just be patient. its easy peasy:cheerleader:

IMG_20100822_132718.jpg

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_20100822_133210.jpg

if you live close to wichita, ks ill do it for ya if you want to bring your bike over. good luck....:thumbsup:

I can help you if need be. I put RaceRailz on mine. It is not to hard. Give me a shout and we can set something up.

Follow mynewride's help, his look freaking factory. I haven't seen a better or more professional job on sliders yet! I want him to do mine if I ever get the balls to do it..

Not to hijack the thread but would these have helped me when I had a tip over in my driveway today? The stator cover and lower fairings got a few scrapes.

Not to hijack the thread but would these have helped me when I had a tip over in my driveway today? The stator cover and lower fairings got a few scrapes.

For driveway tip-overs, any frame slider (cut or no-cut) is BETTER than none.

In fact, someone posted recently that his T-REX NO-CUT sliders (which is what I used for my old 08 and now 09 bike) helped spare his Busa major damage when he had a spill @ 25 mph: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/154590-flying-pig-down.html

I used the bolt trick, but I took my girl's nail polish and looked for the red mark on the inside of the faring. After that, hole saw and a dremel to clean the hole.
4409a059-9c0b-6c82.jpg

I think it came out pretty well.

has any one tryed the laser pointer trick? I was thinking on doing it that way..put the bike on stands. take the plastics off.take the mount out. set up the laser pointer so its pointing square in the hole put plastic back on and drill hole where the beam is hitting on the plastic...

Back