For The Older Folks On oRg

Yea, I'm old! I had a room mate in college that couldn't go to sleep with out play the entire song every night! I went to loving that song to hating it after about 3 months! BUT---WOW--sure does bring back some memories. Some pretty wild parties in college with that song playng! (and that's all I'm gonna say 'bout that!???)

Anyone got Magic Carpet Ride ?
Which one?

Steppenwolf (The original? but my fav)
Led Zepplin
Lynard Skynard
Steve Miller band
Hendrix and I think the Guess Who did it also...

Last edited by a moderator:
I played this song over and over again for weeks until I could play every drum beat. I even convinced my Dad I had to have a 2nd floor tom tom to play it properly. My brother would play the bass line on his accordian and my sister could play to organ part perfectly. My little brother wanted to play with us so badly, that he started playing guitar then. The song that had the most impact on me, though, was Frankenstein by Edgar Winter. I wanted to play that song but simply wasn't good enough. I quit every sport but wrestling and practiced 3-4 hours each day for about a year and a half. I would dream about that drum solo. Crazy but true

Yes, Edgar Winter was another great band. Check out those bellbottoms back in the 70's and the way they dance around on stage, funny:laugh:

This song was first named 'In the Garden of Eden' but because they were so high or drunk (or both) that they couldn't pronounce it. Someone said they should call it how they pronounced it,, and it stuck. I used to love this drum solo, but quickly became bored with it.

Three Dog Night was my first concert. It was them and The Doobie Brothers, John Kay of Stepenwolf, El Chicano and Tower of Power. All for $7.00.

I rather prefer John Bonham's triplets better on 'Moby D!ck'. I have seen Led Zeppelin 2times; 1975 - Seattle Coliseum, 1977 - Seattle King Dome. Bonham's 'Moby 'D!ck' lasted 45minutes, the last part was with his bare hands. Amazing!

Not to turn this into a drum thread, but one of my favorite drum percussionist/solos is by Neal Peart's - Rhythm Method.

Rush -12times

Led Zeppelin was my all time favorite. I wish i would have gotten to see one of their concerts before John Bonham drank himself to death at Robert Plants mansion.

Another concert that would have been cool to go to would have been Jim Morrison of the Doors.

In A Gadda Da Vida was the first album I ever bought; I also have a 22 minute live version of it as well....

Back