First bike

speed_freak

Registered
Hey guys, I've always wanted a bike and the parents had the rule that I had to move out first. Well, a couple months and I'm free! I love the Busa's, but I'm not sure if I should go straight to this beast. I'm not very big, about 135-140lbs, and was wondering if I would have problems handling the bike? I was looking at maybe the GSX750 to get started on, then hopping to the busa in a year or two if I want more power (I know I will). What do you guys think? Thanks!

One word... Yikes

This board answers this question about one a month. the general consenus is:

"The Busa is definately not a good starter bike!"

Do you have any riding experience?
Have you priced insurance for the Busa yet?

Please try something like a used 450 Nighthawk or a Bandit, a KZ or something that will not let you kill yourself so quickly.

If at all possible, start riding a dirtbike first. Learn on the dirt where a mistake will not leave you laying in front of an oncoming cage! Learning the dirt will also enable you to learn the controls of a bike reflexivly so you can think about what to do rather than how to do it in an emergency.

Please stay with us and let us know how it goes. Good luck and ride safe!

Oh and welcome to the board.

Hey you are from spencer?? I'm in waterloo....anyway if you have never owned/ridden a bike before don't get a busa... you could handle it fine but I wouldn't want to see you tip one over...on the other hand if you have decent riding ability go for it. My busa was my first street bike but I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 7 yrs old so it wasn't a big deal for me.

It's kind of like learning to do drugs and starting with Heroin.  But hey if you think you can handle it.  
devil.gif

<!--EDIT|Let 'er eat!
Reason for Edit: None given...|1070590554 -->

I don't follow the crowd that says the busa is too powerful for a beginning rider because it only goes as fast as you tell it to. However, it's size and weight very well could be a little intimidating if you've never rode. Another thing I'd say is worth considering for a new rider is the fact that you may very well stand a bigger chance of dropping your ride than someone with some experience under their belt.

Ask yourself this. Had you rather learn to ride on a $10,000 busa that can cost you out the ass to fix if you drop it? Or, had you rather learn on and skin up a cheaper, lighter, maybe a LOT easier to maneuver 750 or even a 600 learning to ride and then get the busa when your experience and confidence level climbs?

I thought I had a load of riding experience before I got the busa. I had seat time but mostly on dirt. Now that I realize how little I knew/know about sport bike riding, in a way I kind of wish I had started on a lesser bike to learn sport riding on. I won't say the busa would be a bad decision. At the same time I wouldn't say that going with a 600/750 first is a bad idea either. Honestly, if you have any doubts about being able to handle the busa it might be your best bet to go the smaller route.

Yes, in short I do have doubts about being able to handle the busa. I have doubts about handling any bike really though. I have very minimal riding experience, I'm going to try to get some riding time in, I think I might be able to arrange some dirt time, and possibly some on a street bike. It will probably be a while until I get this bike, but I want to know how to position myself for the bike. I think I will most likely go with a lighter, smaller bike. I think as small as I am I may have troubles handling the big busa. A guy in town has a buell and it's a sharp bike, anyone know about these?

Yeah, I'd go with a smaller bike then. Don't know about a Buell, though. I'd think a Suzuki GSXR600 or GSXR750 would make as nice a sport bike as anything could in their classes. I guess I'm just a Suzuki man when it comes to sport bikes.
wink.gif

i had 1000 miles of riding before i bought my busa.  Had a 99 CBR for about 1.5 yrs... and thats all i rode it... from the time i bought the bike to the time i sold it i had only put 1000 miles on it.  But now since i bought the busa.. i put over twice the milage on her.. and in a few months!  

So i wouldnt say the busa is a bad bike for a beginner, after all like mentioned earlier... it only goes as fast as you tell it too.  The weight is a bit to get used too... coming from a 600 anyways.  

Whatever you do... just make a well thought, rational decision.  Dont rush out and buy the busa JUST because it is the baddest street machine on the planet!  well... it is...
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|fstAZfk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1070596130 -->

I didn't give it a second thought when I bought my busa...the only decision I had to make was what color I wanted...and when I saw the 40th I knew she was mine!!!!

Well, I knew the second I saw the busa I would have one. The question is whether to go with the best the first time or work up to it. I think I will probably start with a 600 or 750. Now which one is my question. There are alot of CBR's around here, and I could probably pick one up alot easier than almost anything else (and cheaper!!). I like suzukis, the katana's are pretty nice as well as the v series. Any others I should look at? If I'm going to go this route I will probably buy a used one, cheaper the better, that way I can save my money for a sweet new black busa with some mods!
biggrin.gif

You guys are cracking me up! I am just shaking my head in disbelief! This is the most tolerant crowd on this subject.

All other boards I frequent would've thrashed the guy for even suggesting a 'Busa for a first bike.

I personally also don't think it's a good idea.

speed_freak, the main problem with powerfull bikes (and even Katana 600 is powerful enough to get you into trouble) is not that your good intentions will not work. The trouble starts when you make a mistake caused perhaps by other circumstances, while your reflexes are not yet developed, and to top it off, a lot of our natural reflexes are wrong when it comes to bikes.

BTW, Katana 600 and Hayabusa are very close in weight, both sport-tourers, so if you start on Katana, you could then get yourself Hayabusa.

Believe me, Katana is plenty fast for a first bike. After 3 years of riding one, I still love it, and you can guess which bike I want next.

Good luck to you in whatever your decision will be.

Dont rush out and buy the busa JUST because it is the baddest street machine on the planet!  well... it is...
biggrin.gif
I actually decided on a busa initially because they are the sexiset mo'fuggin' bikes on the planet.
wink.gif
me too  
cool.gif
Make that 3 that bought it for it's striking good looks!

Having said that...get yourself in a Motorcycle Safety Class for the weekend!  It's the best way to see if riding is even something you will enjoy...after pushing and pulling a bike for 2 days, you'll know...
smile.gif

I agree with what many have said here about the Busa being a first bike...it is heavy, it can be fast if you don't have any self-control, and you'll probably drop it since you're new at riding...we all do it when we're learning to ride no matter what we're on...but, riding something smaller for a year or so isn't a bad idea if you want to save yourself some money in repairs to a $10k bike...

I only put 2000 miles on a Harley before buying my Busa...I'm doing fine...dropped the Harley twice, dropped the Busa 3 times before realizing I had to lower it...no problems now, and loving the Busa more than anything!  Just a few scratches that need to be fixed...but no problems handling the bike...

As for Buells...I've only sat on a few; all I can tell you that they are fairly light, the seat's a bit taller than the Busa (at least I know the Buell Blast is)...not sure of the price or how they handle...if you want to putt around a bit before taking the Busa plunge, I'd buy something used to get your skills honed...

Good luck...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1070649568 -->

I could go on and on in regards to the Busa not being a good place to start... In fact I have previously. Check out the New Owners FAQ there are a couple of threads in there that are relavant.

The Busa in my opinion would be a pretty poor place to start if you have little or no experiance. Yeah the throttle works both ways, but the size, mass, and power of the Busa can quickly get you hurt.

I think the SV650 is probably my first choice as a starter bike, especially if you have plans on moving to bigger sport bikes later on. Lack of Body work will save a lot of money if you tip it over, and there is plenty of power to have fun, but not so much that you'll wind up getting caught out.

speed_freak... the busa was my first bike (and I had no riding experience) I'm 6' 190 lbs and it was a bit tricky for me to handle... Not sure if it was because of never riding a motorcycle before...
If you do get a busa you have to keep in mind that you will drop it at least once. If you don't mind then go get one. I learned the hard way and I would not trade getting this bike for the world. Oh yeah and I said that I would never ride fast... HAHA that lasted all but one day.

So go with your gut but you should be warned that it is a big bike to handle. I have never rode any other bike so I cannot compare it to anything...

Another warning... When I did drop it I was going 45 around a turn with no helmut or gear on. I was lucky and could have broken some bones or even died... I was lucky...
Keep that in mind but you have to go with your gut but think with your head...

Feel free to email me at zoo@zoosplace.com I can share all of my experience so you don't drop it...

speed freak:

I've been riding for a since I was 13 years old, and I'm 38 now. I started out on a street/trail 100cc. I rode dirt/some street for 1-1/2 years, then street only ever since. I've owned the following cc sizes...100, 250, 400, 920, ten year break, 1340 H-D, 1550 H-D, and now the Hayabusa. All ranging in weight between 300lbs and 800lbs. I have logged somewhere around 65,000 miles all together.

And...after all of that...The Hayabusa still scared the poop out of me when I saw how much power it really has. The weight is not an issue for me since I've ridden a bikes a lot heavier.

The busa is a heavy bike for a beginner, but is quite manageable. The busa's throttle is what can get you into trouble very quickly. If, as a new rider, you were to get in a traffic situation where you wanted to accellerate to get out of harms way, the busa can do that easily, but if you twist a little too much, the busa can also put you into an even worse situation. It can launch you into oncoming traffic, or the back of a car before you know what happened.

The busa commands respect from anyone who rides it. If you don't respect its capabilities, IT WILL HURT YOU!

From your initial post, you're obviously around 18 years old, right? You have your whole life to experience this type of performance. Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider's Course before you do anything else. Think about getting some cheap used bike to learn on for the first year. You won't be as upset if you drop/crash it. Just be patient, and have the busa as a goal you set for yourself. Maybe a college graduation present to yourself. Make it special, and not just a bike to show off on in front of your friends.

You have the right to make your own choice. Just make sure it's for the right reasons. We just want you to be safe with whatever choice you make.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>WELCOME TO THE BOARD !!!</span></span>
beerchug.gif

Okay, I'll shut up now.
rant.gif

One more thing...

Go out and buy yourself some good riding gear and a helmet before you spend all your money on the bike. Joe Rocket makes some nice stuff that's fairly affordable and protects well.

DO NOT skimp on your helmet (Full Face). How much is your head worth? Good to Best will run you between $250 - $600.

This is for protection from not only yourself, but all those other idiots on the roads.
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: "no particular reason"|1070652969 -->

there is a very well designed reason we all CRAWL before we walk, and walk before we RUN.
Anyone can HANDLE the Busa, it's the lack of experience a newbie CAN'T handle. Fact, not an opinion.

get what you want......it's your life. I had a Katana 600 for five months and bought the Busa. 20,000 miles on the Busa, probably a thousand wheelies and no wrecks. If you respect it you can ride it.

I've been riding a year and a half and have logged upwards of 35,000 miles........mostly curves.

<!--EDIT|busahigg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1070730092 -->

Back