Finally stepping up...

gmmech, thanks a ton for that write up! after reading your post from when you did yours, I hope my kit has the magic "black foam piece" with it. Im sure it would make thongs easier a little bit. I wish i knew exactly when the kit would arrive at my house so i could have the bike broken down already, but i ride almost every day to work, so i doubt thats gonna happen. Thanks again for that write up. I wont be using a relay since i have an 07 and was told i dont need it. hopefully there wont be any ignition problems when the headlight cuts out on startup. i guess i will see shortly! thanks again. if anyone had taken a picture with the foam piece that is supposed to come with the kit, i would love to see it. that way if i dont get one, i can head to the store and purchase something similar to use.

gmmech, thanks a ton for that write up! after reading your post from when you did yours, I hope my kit has the magic "black foam piece" with it. Im sure it would make thongs easier a little bit. I wish i knew exactly when the kit would arrive at my house so i could have the bike broken down already, but i ride almost every day to work, so i doubt thats gonna happen. Thanks again for that write up. I wont be using a relay since i have an 07 and was told i dont need it. hopefully there wont be any ignition problems when the headlight cuts out on startup. i guess i will see shortly! thanks again. if anyone had taken a picture with the foam piece that is supposed to come with the kit, i would love to see it. that way if i dont get one, i can head to the store and purchase something similar to use.
Not to burst your bubble but I doubt it will come with that "black foam piece". I ordered my kit got it on friday and it didn't have the black foam.

The install was easy (I made it difficult) but it was easy.

I snipped the wires and did a direct solder because I don't like the thought it plugging in wires without either a harness or a direct solder joint.

There's a lot of room to work with so finding a sweet spot to mount everything should not be a problem.

Low beam ballast = right ram tube
Low beam ignitor = little shelf on the top of the headlight.
High beam ballast = left ram tube
High beam ignitor = left ram tube for now.

I gotta go back in again to do the dei 528 in a week or two then i'll mount that to the right ram tube too.

Getting the vacuum rubber band on was a real fun task
laugh.gif

My low needed no adjustment. The HID's literally light up your lane and the lanes on your left and right.

I had cars just pacing me just to use my headlights on a dark patch of freeway. Went for a group ride last night and I was "designated" to ride up front.

High beams are another story. I have not adjusted mine yet but last night I was on a 3 mile straightaway. No cops, no lights, pitch black....Hit my high beam HIDS on and the stars twinkled a little bit. I ended up pulling back and my friend on his suzuki 650 scooter had to school me and light the way LOL.

Oh and there's no scarier feeling then taking turns in pitch black darkness when you're leaning to the left, and your headlights are illuminating the trees ahead and you still can't see the road.

I hope suzuki can adapt the ability to make their headlights actuate to face the road you are turning cause I nearly
flush.gif
myself when I had a hard time anticipating the next turn.

I hear about high beams illuminating the entire road and pissing off drivers and squirrels and what not but last night showed me that the high beam needs serious adjustment.
boohoo.gif

No problem man. Glad it helped. If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

So after re reading all the hid posts i can find, i am afraid of hooking the hid's up with no timer delay. I know the 07 should be ok, but my headlight turns on while the bike primes itself, then when i hit the start button it shuts off and goes back on again. will this lead to any problems with my igniter or ballast or anything? i really dont wanna run that timer since i just wanted this to be an easy install. but i dont want to have problems in the future. can anyone please explain why it is or is not ok to let the hid turn on and off and on again during my startup?! sorry for all the questions
sad.gif

Don't worry about the questions man, you can't learn anything if you don't ask questions. That's what this place is for. Now, as for why it's bad for it. Your ballast has to convert 12 volts all the way up to 25,000 volts to ignite the bulb. Then it SLOWLY backs the voltage down to 12 volts constant power and holds it there. The reason it's bad is mainly in the bulb. You have to let the bulb warm up when it turns on before it will get to full brightness. Supplying that much voltage and then taking it away before it backs down and the bulb warms up completly, and then hitting it again right away will shorten the life of the bulb. Now, it's not NEARELY as bad as the previous years that will just take away some of the power and not supply it with enough to keep the bulb burning, but it will (to some extent) reduce the bulb life. I can't say how much cause I simply don't know. I've never had one of these kits without a relay. I do know, however that cars will do what your bike will do without the relay. I know cadillac for one with the auto feature will turn the lights on as soon as the key is turned to the acc. position, and then shuts the lights off while the starter runs, then brings them back on. The only thing I can say about that is they're made by phillips and they cost about 3 times as much. McCulloch makes the best alternative kit that I know of, and most people on the ORG haven't had much trouble out of them, but the phillips stuff is better. The reason you can't use phillips on your bike is they only make 2 different bulbs and all the automakers that install HID's at the factory use one of those two bulbs. Here's what I say, if you don't want to use the relay, don't use it. There are a few on here that haven't, and haven't had any problems (that I know of). Give it a try. Let us know how it works out!
ThumbsUp.gif

Paid 160 to my door. Now I feel like I better install that timer relay thing. Anyone know where I can get the exact one gmmech used so i can try wiring the thing just like he did... so much for my simple project. just dont feel like replacing a 110 dollar bulb in a year or so.
firedevil.gif

Thanks darkflame. Well, i ended up receiving the package from xenonking today. quick shipping from them!. Anyways, i decided to just make it a plug n play and not run the delay after all. If it shortens the bulb life, so be it. hopefully it wont be too short though... as far as the install, it was pretty simple. just removed the forward inners and my gauges to get the job done. plenty of room to do everything. from start to finish, including the time i took to triple check every step cause i was afraid of screwing something up, the install took about 2 hours. the difference is incredible! went for a short ride, and couldnt believe my eyes. thanks for all the help guys. i really do appreciate it. i took some pictures, but they all turned out horrible. hard for the camera to see anything while its getting blinded by light! anyone on the fence about hid's should take the plunge.

I did the install at the Busabash in crappy light just by dropped the speedo cluster back and removing the dressup piece below the nose.. and the right inner piece.. really not that hard.. just as long as you understand how the "O Ring" works.

Thanks darkflame. Well, i ended up receiving the package from xenonking today. quick shipping from them!. Anyways, i decided to just make it a plug n play and not run the delay after all. If it shortens the bulb life, so be it. hopefully it wont be too short though... as far as the install, it was pretty simple. just removed the forward inners and my gauges to get the job done. plenty of room to do everything. from start to finish, including the time i took to triple check every step cause i was afraid of screwing something up, the install took about 2 hours. the difference is incredible! went for a short ride, and couldnt believe my eyes. thanks for all the help guys. i really do appreciate it. i took some pictures, but they all turned out horrible. hard for the camera to see anything while its getting blinded by light! anyone on the fence about hid's should take the plunge.
Glad everything worked out for you man. Did you do any beam adjustment? If not you really need to. You think the difference is good just by installing the HID, you'll be grinnin and screamin with joy in your helmet after you adjust the beam up a bit. It really is incredible. I was pretty happy with my HID when I first installed it, but after making the change from the stock aiming it was like day and night all over again.

Glad everything worked out for you man. Did you do any beam adjustment? If not you really need to. You think the difference is good just by installing the HID, you'll be grinnin and screamin with joy in your helmet after you adjust the beam up a bit. It really is incredible. I was pretty happy with my HID when I first installed it, but after making the change from the stock aiming it was like day and night all over again.
Yeeesh, not sure about that. My beam is already at high beam high with the standard, like I said the gate guards curse my name at night. If I aimed it even higher I'd probably get barred from parking on base!

Your mileage may of course vary.

Glad everything worked out for you man.  Did you do any beam adjustment?  If not you really need to.  You think the difference is good just by installing the HID, you'll be grinnin and screamin with joy in your helmet after you adjust the beam up a bit.  It really is incredible.  I was pretty happy with my HID when I first installed it, but after making the change from the stock aiming it was like day and night all over again.
Yeeesh, not sure about that. My beam is already at high beam high with the standard, like I said the gate guards curse my name at night. If I aimed it even higher I'd probably get barred from parking on base!

Your mileage may of course vary.
Well, acording to your sig. you're ridin a 750, not a busa. That's the difference. Ask anyone on here about the stock position of the low beam on the busa and they'll tell you it's way too low.

I will check the aim out shortly. wonder what the o-ring is that standiggity is talking about though??? I am just as impressed with the hid during the day. when i pull up behind traffic and see that beautiful headlight compared to the reflections of my non hid friends headlights, it makes me grin inside my helmet. hopefully diggity responds about this o ring.

Back