Few problems with a friends bike..

02BusaAndy

Registered
So a friend of mine is having a few problems with his 99' busa and we are not sure what's going on. 1st thing is the cluster lights, when I turn the key on, the cluster lights will come on but then go out. The gauges work fine but then go out. The next is the headlights, when the bike is running, sometimes the lights won't come on, you can press the pass button and the high beam will come on. If the highbeam switch is on, both lights will come on when the pass button is pressed. Last but not least, the bike sounds like it's breaking up when running, this problem just started. I do believe that the owner beats the crap out of is as in racing everywhere. I just changed the air filter and plugs, started it and it's doing the same thing. Any help is appreciated, Thanks..

Check the relay / fuse box for bad corroded joint, same checks for the ignition barrel.
Then with the engine running check the voltage at the battery to see if the regulator etc is OK.
Overall sounds like a bike that needs some attention to its electrics....mates old GSXR600 03' behaved like this and it was a bad loom connector plug completed corroded after sitting outdoors for a few years.

Have you looked at the battery ? Terminal corrosion, loose negative, bad or going bad battery. Load test it.

Anything electrical added to it before this started happening ?

It has a different switch on it, is there a difference inwiring or no.. The battery is brand new also..

Last edited:
I will have him get a 99' light switch, would that be the cause of the cluster lights coming on and then going rite out.

Back