Fan fuse keeps blowing

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So I have gen2 fans on my gen1 and now all of a sudden the fuse constantly keeps blowing. I had a 30 amp fuse in there too which is higher than you are supposed to?. All I have done is a ground wire coming from a switch to turn on the fans. I have already ohm checked everything to look for shorts and the only thing left to do it bypass the stock harness and do my own wiring for the fans... I hate electrical problems. The fans work fine but after a ride the fuse blows even when I don't turn the fans on.... So it has to be a problem in the stock wiring. I rewired the fans from the plug to the fans and still does it...

Wires are alive :laugh: As the bike gets hot or cools down you might get a short. No binding in the fan housings and the fan bearings are alright ? right

You wired it so you didn't do anything silly like put the ground on one side of the fanswitch and the positive on the other did you. Had a guy call me one day that called himself an electrician and every time he turned the lights on in a room it tripped the breaker. He had wired the neutral to one side and the hot to the other. You said something about it happening when you parked it, that's what got me to thinking fanswitch closes and fuse blows :dunno:

You wired it so you didn't do anything silly like put the ground on one side of the fanswitch and the positive on the other did you. Had a guy call me one day that called himself an electrician and every time he turned the lights on in a room it tripped the breaker. He had wired the neutral to one side and the hot to the other. You said something about it happening when you parked it, that's what got me to thinking fanswitch closes and fuse blows :dunno:

Both fans are perfectly fine. I tested them separately and no my wiring is good especially this time since I re-did it. Stupid wires are so annoying :banghead:

Your positive line must have a temporary shortcircuit somewhere.Try an external cable with a fuse directly from the battery(+) ???

Check the fanswitch too. It might be going to ground. Any rust or corrosion can take the system to ground or give a path to ground. I think you've been given a simple solution for troubleshooting in using a fused wire from the battery. From memory that circuit only has a fanswitch and maybe a connector or two in it and the fans. Best of luck.

Of course if you keep throwing fuses at it, it might eventually show itself :whistle:

Ok I will throw this out there.The Gen 1 has one fan, now you have 2 fans.Could that be the difference??Too much load on that circuit.The fan switch has to go to ground in the radiator or else it wont switch on when it hits the determined temperature right??Thats how it works on cars anyway.Or does this switch use the ground wire to turn it on once the switcj makes inside??Or is the other wire a signal back to the ecu??So you are running a toggle switch??make sure the connections arent touching in anyway.

Ok I will throw this out there.The Gen 1 has one fan, now you have 2 fans.Could that be the difference??Too much load on that circuit.The fan switch has to go to ground in the radiator or else it wont switch on when it hits the determined temperature right??Thats how it works on cars anyway.Or does this switch use the ground wire to turn it on once the switcj makes inside??Or is the other wire a signal back to the ecu??So you are running a toggle switch??make sure the connections arent touching in anyway.

I am running a relay from a switch. But I am only introducing ground to the fans. The two fans should not draw enough current to be blowing a 30A fuse or enough to short a wire to something. I have the temp switch taken out of the equation. The only thing that turns on the fans is my switch which triggers the relay. I have it all worked out. Like i said in my original post, the only thing it could be is the stupid stock harness. I dont know what happened or why it happened but something went wrong in the harness somewhere....

And I chose to have my fans come on by switch only because I want to be in control (plus with installing the Gen2 fans, you have to wire a switch unless you plan to weld a temp switch to the radiator). I switch the fans on pretty much whenever I stop at a stoplight when its warm out.

Ok I see now.Why not ground the fans to the bike and switch the 12volts instead and taking 12volts from the battery.Also could be possible the relay cant take the heat.Is it a heavy duty 30amp relay??

Ok I see now.Why not ground the fans to the bike and switch the 12volts instead and taking 12volts from the battery.Also could be possible the relay cant take the heat.Is it a heavy duty 30amp relay??

The relay shouldn't be the problem. It is only introducing ground. I'm not too worried about it. I will just wait and see after I bypass the stock harness. When I get back from my cruise I need to paint my dash panels and finish things up and help my buddy re-paint his bike so this will be worked on in the spare time.

I think switching the 12 volts is a better way.Could also have a fan going to ground when hot only from the heat soak.Have seen it before.

Well, now that I've read your recent post that describes the circuit you built I'm not sure what wiring you used in the original harness to drive the fans. I will guess you doubled the current draw of the original circuit and it's possible that you have an issue bc of that. I would check the wiring diagrams but they have hosed up my free manuals .......... and I'm to stupid to figure it out. Why do people change things that work ???

:laugh:

Oh, if the wiring is not sized properly; it becomes the fuse, just saying.

Well, now that I've read your recent post that describes the circuit you built I'm not sure what wiring you used in the original harness to drive the fans. I will guess you doubled the current draw of the original circuit and it's possible that you have an issue bc of that. I would check the wiring diagrams but they have hosed up my free manuals .......... and I'm to stupid to figure it out. Why do people change things that work ???

:laugh:

Oh, if the wiring is not sized properly; it becomes the fuse, just saying.

:banghead: The Gen1 fans are not good and needed to be fixed. I had overheating problems in traffic. So this was needed. And the wires are of the proper gauge that they should not fail. I had dual fans running on my gen1 radiator just fine for a few thousand miles and had this on for a few thousand miles as well. Now all of a sudden have problems...

A Volt / Ohm / Meter is good for finding dead shorts, but can fool you sometimes. If I was there I would certainly love getting into the circuit with you. This internet trouble-shooting electrical circuits is rough at best.

Back