eyeballing the BMW S1000rr

M3Busa

Registered
First let me say i am keeping my Busa. But i am seriously thinking adding the S1000R to the stable. Anyone here picked one up that can give a real person review?

Thanks in advance

William

I think that there are a couple of fellow orgsters that will be able to help you out. I know of at least one but can't remember his name at the moment.

Dan had one at Hallett racetrack this weekend.....

dan-first.jpg

dan-first.jpg

Hey William,

I have both the S1000RR and a Gen 1 (’06) Busa. I’m not going to compare and contrast as that will surely lead us down a “my bike is better” path that won’t do anyone any good. The only thing I will say on that front is they are two very different bikes and both are great!

Here are my thoughts on the S1000RR after 2 track days…
This is a remarkable bike. BMW did a heck of a job. The fit and finish are what you would expect from BMW. It has an amazing electronics package, good power (especially above 7000 rpms), shifts easy, turns easy, stays planted in the turns and will stop on a dime. The bike is very fast. I wish I was a good enough rider to take advantage of it.

The biggest drawback to me is it's not comfortable for long periods of time.

Depending on the packages you get, it will come with Race ABS and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) Combined and a Gear Shift Assistant that allows for WOT clutchless upshifts. I got to use the Gear Shift Assist at Hallett and it’s pretty cool. The ABS rocks! On the street the will stop you. I was not prepared the first time I used them, grabbed a hand full of brakes and almost went over the bars. I went wide in a turn on Sunday and left the track. I pulled in the clutch and applied brakes and came to a nice safe stop. I was able to use the front brake because the bike applies front and back and with the ABS I was not worried about washing out the front end.

Here is more on the electronics:
1. Power Mode: Rain: Power is cut to 150 bhp, reduced torque, and the
throttle response is gentler.
* The braking force is applied to both front and rear wheels (partially
integral brakes)
* Rear wheel ABS operates even when only the rear foot brake is used
* The system detects if the rear wheel is lifting
* Wheelie protection operates
* Reduces rear wheel spin
* Increased traction and stability even when the frictional coefficient
spikes suddenly

2. Power Mode: Sport (which is the default setting): Full power (193 at the \
crank, approx 183 rwhp) with a fast but smooth throttle response.
integral brakes)
* DTC is slower to intervene than in Rain Mode, so slight drifts are
possible when exiting corners

3. Power Mode: Race: Full power but instant throttle response.
integral brakes)
* No rear wheel lift detection
* DTC even slower to intervene so longer drifts and brief wheelies are

4. Power Mode: Slick (coding plug required to be inserted): Full power with
an aggressive and instant throttle response.
integral brakes)
* ABS does not operate when only foot brake is used
* Wheelies allowed up to a lean angle of 23 degrees and for up to 5
seconds

Last edited:
If I could hit the lottery, I sure has heck buy one :)

It can be made more comfortable with these LSL risers. Got a test ride and was blown away.

lsl (Small).jpg

lsl1 (Small).jpg

lsl2 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
If I had the cash, or with the economy the way it is, at least the financial stability right now to finance one... I would own one.

Hey William,

I have both the S1000RR and a Gen 1 (’06) Busa. I’m not going to compare and contrast as that will surely lead us down a “my bike is better†path that won’t do anyone any good. The only thing I will say on that front is they are two very different bikes and both are great!

Here are my thoughts on the S1000RR after 2 track days…
This is a remarkable bike. BMW did a heck of a job. The fit and finish are what you would expect from BMW. It has an amazing electronics package, good power (especially above 7000 rpms), shifts easy, turns easy, stays planted in the turns and will stop on a dime. The bike is very fast. I wish I was a good enough rider to take advantage of it.

The biggest drawback to me is it's not comfortable for long periods of time.

Depending on the packages you get, it will come with Race ABS and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) Combined and a Gear Shift Assistant that allows for WOT clutchless upshifts. I got to use the Gear Shift Assist at Hallett and it’s pretty cool. The ABS rocks! On the street the will stop you. I was not prepared the first time I used them, grabbed a hand full of brakes and almost went over the bars. I went wide in a turn on Sunday and left the track. I pulled in the clutch and applied brakes and came to a nice safe stop. I was able to use the front brake because the bike applies front and back and with the ABS I was not worried about washing out the front end.

Here is more on the electronics:
1. Power Mode: Rain: Power is cut to 150 bhp, reduced torque, and the
throttle response is gentler.
integral brakes)
* Reduces rear wheel spin
* Increased traction and stability even when the frictional coefficient
spikes suddenly

2. Power Mode: Sport (which is the default setting): Full power (193 at the \
crank, approx 183 rwhp) with a fast but smooth throttle response.
integral brakes)
* DTC is slower to intervene than in Rain Mode, so slight drifts are

3. Power Mode: Race: Full power but instant throttle response.
integral brakes)
* DTC even slower to intervene so longer drifts and brief wheelies are

4. Power Mode: Slick (coding plug required to be inserted): Full power with
an aggressive and instant throttle response.
integral brakes)
* ABS does not operate when only foot brake is used
* Wheelies allowed up to a lean angle of 23 degrees and for up to 5
seconds

Good Stuff. No, i wasn’t looking for a BUSA vs BMW comparison, i purchased my Busa and i love what it does. i want the BMW for a totally different reason. thanks for the review.

William

First let me say i am keeping my Busa. But i am seriously thinking adding the S1000R to the stable. Anyone here picked one up that can give a real person review?

Thanks in advance

William
Don't get it, it'll make you're busa feel slow and heavy, you'll start riding the busa less and eventually the BMW will squeeze the busa out of the nest. Bye bye busa

I rode one last spring. If your lookin for a great handling powerfull liter bike, ite the one to have. Not super comfy, but not really suppossed to be.

Don't get it, it'll make you're busa feel slow and heavy, you'll start riding the busa less and eventually the BMW will squeeze the busa out of the nest. Bye bye busa

Yea, but its always good to keep ole faithful around. If the new young super model starts to get the big head, then i'll just jump on ole faithful and find the nearest strait open road, that will bring her down to earth.

I think the Hayabusa looks way better.
Go ahead and buy the S1000RR but I will tell ya, when the busa comes out with something faster, like the gen4, don't say I didd'nt tell ya so:laugh:

I rode one, I liked it, I wish I could have one ... thats all I got to say about that... :whistle:

I think the Hayabusa looks way better.
Go ahead and buy the S1000RR but I will tell ya, when the busa comes out with something faster, like the gen4, don't say I didd'nt tell ya so:laugh:

thats not why i want it, my '07 is currently faster than the 2011 S1000rr will be, So thats not what im looking for. However, i do want to get into road racing and i think this would be a great bike to do so. There are thrills to be found in curves also. :laugh:

Back