Exhaust advice anyone? Please Help

andyw8705

Registered
I have an 2000 hayabusa with stock cans and Im getting ready to change that set-up. I would love to have a 4into1 megaphone or sidewinder style system (brocks, hindle,) but the price is a factor at over a grand. I have seen several 4into1 systems that have a midpipe and a long can but Im not to crazy about those. I like the short megaphone look. Anyways I thought about getting a set of factory headers from on 02-07 busa(because my year has welded midpipes), removing the midpipe and attaching some small tips that you see all over ebay. Any advice on what I should do?

if i were u i'd be patient and find a good used full system here on the .org in the classifieds. not that long ago there was a brocks full system with a pc3 mapped for a killer deal. it may still be there. if you mess with all that welding crap i bet u'll regret it
just my 2 cents.
good luck

U can cut down the long exhaust to shorter ones....couple bucks in rivets, reuse the packing and you've got a shorty system! :thumbsup:

Here u go cut the mid pipes on an angle. its the same thing and sounds sweeeeet. :thumbsup:

IMG00038.jpg

thanks for the help guys...biglubusa, that looks pretty good, is that all it is? just the factory midpipe cut at an angle? anything else?

i didnt measure, i kinda eyeballed them while they were on the bike and used a marker to mark the angle i wanted, took them off and got them cut(Pretty even).here is another pic, dont know if it helps.

IMG00040.jpg

You might also check on psychobike. It would be worth it to just wait until you have enough cash to get the full system that you want.

Keep in mind, if you cut your stock exhaust or remove the mufflers to install shorty tips, you will need to tune it to run its best. Will it run? Yes, but you will be reducing the back pressure and will need to adjust for this for optimal performance. Good luck bro.

Hello,
Hope this isn't too redundant, but wanted to get more opinions. Recently installed a set of Yoshimura cans (haven't ridden since install), then saw some shorties and watched YouTube video of a couple busas with short pipes. Loved the sound (rode hogs years ago).

Order a set, they are basically a heavy duty chrome turn down with welded in reducer (obviously for back pressure). Haven't installed because someone told me I would have to have a Power Commander and put bike on dyno now that exhaust has changed. Said bike would run lean on top end, and could damage motor. I'm never going to top out the bike, more for leisure riding and mid-range performance.

What to do???

Thanks for advice, as I am now BakOn2Wheels.

You will not need a power commander for any kind of slip on exhaust. The header still chokes the flow of exhaust gas. All you're doing is making it louder. It's not gonna run lean, it's not gonna damage the motor, not gonna suck an exhaust valve out (heard that one before lol) not gonna do anything except be louder. Not all "someones" should be paid attention to.
And:welcome:

Thanks Mr. Brown,
Know my way around most V8s and stuff with 4 wheels, but only experience with 2 was either on dirt, or a Harley, and that was mostly limited to bolt-on mods and paint.

The only way my bike will see 180 is if someone steals it.

Question for edouble88h...what did you use to cut cans? Mine are SS. Chop saw, plasma cutter? Did you relocate or keep length so stock mounts could be used? Any pics?

Thanks guys...really feel like I'm in good hands:bowdown:

I ou do thnk you should think about the type of riding that you do before doing any cutting or spending any money be honest with yourself you will enjoy your bike alot more:thumbsup:

Also remember that if you cut the pipe midpipe like that you are dragstrip loud:laugh: Then you have to deal with the police and neighbors...I don't know if you wear earplugs but you can seriously damage your hearing with pipes like this...I just got my full titanium 4-2-1 race pipe from Brock' Performance. It says right on the bottom of the packing slip, and I quote, "These products are intended for race track use only! Any other use may violate the law"...So, if you get caught and ticketed by the police with a chopped muffler...what will you do when you can't throw your old system back on to clear the ticket because you butchered it? You are screwed...save up a few more bucks...keep your old system...put your sexy Alien or whatever on...get caught...clear ticket with old pipe back on...:cheerleader: win-win versus lose-screwed...2hip

Muzzy, great pipe, makes good power and has a nice sound. Good luck, look at and listen to a lot of pipes then go with what YOU like....have fun

Back