Engine mod Question

BigSimp

Donating Member
Registered
I am going to the guys at APE for their 1397 kit. Cant wait for that, but I was wondering, what are some other mods I can do to the engine. The bike is a 2006 extended 8inches with a 240 rear. I don't want to go way over board, as it will still be considered a daily rider. But I would like to have that little extra ump every once and a while.
One of the guys at APE recommended doing cams also, but $700 for yosh cams to get 5 to 10 hp gain horse is bit pricey. Especially when APE is telling me that I can get a gain by installing 2 exhaust cams, for about half.
I am really confused, I just want to compliment my 1397 mod and do all the work once while the engine is already out.

ape iz right get the two stock intakes and make sure adjustable sprockets too.not to sure on the cam degree numbers thou.Make sure you have 4 and a half quarts of engine oil in da bike.this iz very very important to prevent oil starvation,you might wanna thgough in da high voulume oil gear too that if you split da cases.

Bigsimp,
I am getting ready for a similar build. Here is the pieces parts list that I am going with.

84MM GSXR1300 13:1 (1397)
WEB 70-761 GSX1300 483/536 HWD CAMSHAFTS
APE CSAKS1300 GSX1300 CAM SPROCKET KIT
APE ST1300GX 1300 CAM C.TENSIONER
CCC 43115 BUSA HI-OUTPUT OIL PUMP GEAR
SCH BRO BUSA/PR. BUSA PAIR SHIFT SHAFT
APE CS1300STN HAYABUSA CYLINDER STUDS
APE CHN10125-10 CYLINDER HEAD NUTS
CCC 4150-BUSA GSX1300R UNDERCUT TRANS
APE VS1300GSX HAYABUSA V.SPRINGS ST
SUZ 12229-24F00-0B0 BLACK 1300 M.BEARING
SUZ 12164-46E01-0B0 ROD BEARING-BLACK
COMP. VALVE JOB
STAGE 1 PORTING

That should get me 198 to 205 whp tuned for 91 octane.

Don

While you got it apart you might want to install a roller cam chain conversion kit from ape and you wont be complaining about a busted cam chain later.

Basically a cam change,have thw cams indexed, gas flow the head, one point higher compression ratio (12:1)full exhaust system, air box mod, power Commander and once it is broken in a dyno tune. Be sure to select cams for the type of riding you are going do.

get the new busa crank shaft from APE, it comes with the spacer plate needed for clearance.

Basically a cam change,have thw cams indexed, gas flow the head, one point higher compression ratio (12:1)full exhaust system, air box mod, power Commander and once it is broken in a dyno tune. Be sure to select cams for the type of riding you are going do.
+1 on cam selection... picking a cam based on gross horsepower is an easy path to discontent... Any cam selection is a compromise at any given rpm.. (no exceptions to this rule)

Have a long talk with your builder as this is can really make or break your entire investment... (they want you to ride a bike you are happy with)

Back