Easy Busa BRAKE MODs

AJAY

Registered
Another current thread complained about mushy brakes. One poster responded that the Kawicrappy ZX10 brakes would fix the problem. Actually, I agree that the ZX10 brakes are much better than the Gen I Busa brakes, but then so are the GSX-R750 brakes that I rode a couple of weeks ago.

Here's what I know can be done easily:
1) stainless steel braided lines to get rid of mushiness and increase feedback.

2) change pads to something more aggressive (your suggestions are welcome) for improved initial bite and reduced fading.

Elsewhere I have read (on this forum, the best and ONLY Busa forum I read :thumbsup:) that you can swap out the master cylinder for a Brembo radial master cylinder for great improvements in power and feedback. I believe this is the 19 ? Cylinder, and available as stock on a number of recent sport bikes.

So...... What I'd like to do with this thread is for folks to post up what KNOWN improvements can be easily accomplished. Please state Gen I or Gen II. Something along the lines of, "the brakes from the 2007 GSXR1000 bolt right up on the Gen II Busa and they make a world of difference," or "the radial master cylinder from the 2009 R1 Yamalog is cheap off of eBay and I was able to bolt it up directly with the stock Busa banjo bolts."

Thanks for your contributions! :beerchug:

The very best improvement for the Gen I or Gen II is to upgrade the software! :beerchug:

The only thing I didn't see you list are rotors. GixerHP had some pads that really made a difference. I remember bogus put a set on, but I can't recall the name. maybe you can do the search.

This is a reply from my parts guy on another forum.........

if you really want to increase braking performance , change the master to a brembo RCS first . Night and day difference . Don't waste your money on wave rotors etc .Brembo RCS master for $335.00 ....the best 300 bux you would spend on your busa . You will also need a remote brake reservoir since the busa master is all one piece .As far as pads go , the HH pads by EBC work great or you can just spend more money and buy the brembo calipers and rotors

Remeber the busa is over a hundred pounds heavier than a zx-10 or GSXR 750 its going to feel a little different under deceleration. Personaly I don't have a problem with the brakes on the busa, if I were going to throw her on the track I would probably make sure I had some HH pads on her though.

I have the Stainless lines more aggressive Pads and the Radial Master Cylinder conversion (Brembo) this a great set up for me Plenty of extra braking force that is easily modulated .

My brakes feel good.Have come to roaring stops on a dime with no fading.I am going to do braided brake lines and the EBC pads whe I do my stretch.Better fluid will also make a difference.Personally I onder why they dont put on from the factory braided brake lines especially on a 200 mph bike.

Personally I onder why they dont put on from the factory braided brake lines especially on a 200 mph bike.

I wonder the same thing... I have an 06 Victory that came stock with SS lines and Brembo components.. on a cruiser... that thing has AMAZING brakes.

Steel braided lines would remove mushiness of the brake lever, and give you a better feel.

EBC HH pads would noticeably improve braking power compared to stock pads.

Those are relatively inexpensive and easy to do things. You can stop right here and see how it feels. If you feel you need more than that, you can do more expensive stuff.

I have just what I described. On my recent track day, a coach who followed my for a couple of laps was giving me his input on various things. As to braking, he said I was slowing down like there is no tomorrow. My translation - he was on my tail, and once I was braking, he was having a hard time not hitting me. He was on a lighter bike - either 600, or 1k. And honestly, I felt like I was taking her almost to the limit.

As a side point, a couple of coaches recommended to try Vesrah brake pads (JL type which is similar to EBC HH). Just installed a set. We'll see how they do.

I recently switched to EBC XTreme pads and that alone is a very good improvement . I will get braided lines soon , and that will probably be enough to make me happy (and I wasn't impressed with the stock brakes)

BTW, the stock brakes work fine for me, but I certainly notice the difference when riding one of the more modern pure sport bikes. I'll bet 80% of the difference happens with brake pads and lines, and I already have the lines to install.

Can anyone compare Gen I and Gen II brakes? The II has the radial calipers (Nissin?). Does it also have a radial master cylinder?

BTW, the stock brakes work fine for me, but I certainly notice the difference when riding one of the more modern pure sport bikes. I'll bet 80% of the difference happens with brake pads and lines, and I already have the lines to install.

Can anyone compare Gen I and Gen II brakes? The II has the radial calipers (Nissin?). Does it also have a radial master cylinder?

Nope gen 2's have the same masters as the gen 1's

Back