East Coast look out!!

If you werent so far away you could use my truck. Im heading to FL tonight and coming back x mas eve. I could go the rest of my life without seeing snow! Goodluck everyone!

Thanks for such a great offer. Have a safe trip. Now that i am stuck i hate it also.

We're getting hit pretty good....love hitting the snow in the ATV! :cheerleader:

ATV Snow.jpg

Snowy Steps.jpg

Blower? How about a heated driveway?

That's the way to go. I got a few quotes for having my driveway redone and you can bet it'll be heated. Tired of snow blowing all the concrete on my property. Takes me hours.

Just out of curiosity... You are a pilot... Is it harder to take off and land when the runway is iced over??

Sorry I missed this.

It's not really "harder" to do either...at least not in a transport category aircraft with anti-skid brakes but it does require a lot more attention to detail.

Depending on the type and level of contamination, the aircraft may be weight restircted for departure...requiring us to carry less fuel than normal or in some cases, fewer passengers.

Airliners have to be able to accelerate to a particular speed, then stop on the remaining runway during an aborted takeoff. Different types of contamination will impact how heavy the aircraft can be for takeoff becase more mass = longer distance to accelerate and longer distance to stop.

Ice covered runways are likely going to produce a "nil" braking action report from someone, which is effectively going to shut the airport down until the airport management corrects the problem....unless we're talking about small airports in Michigan, where pilots have created thirteen unofficial categories between the official "Poor" and "Nil" because no one wants to be the one who shut the airport down for everyone else trying to get in behind him/her. When you start hearing Pilot Reports like "Very poor", "Extremely poor", "Almost nil", etc., it's time to take a good hard look at whether to continue the mission or scrap it and divert.

Airports served by scheduled airline service are generally pretty good about dealing with runway contamination...though severe weather events may have an impact on the volume of operations that facility can process.

Landing presents additional challenges. Stopping is aided by reverse thrust from jet engines, or reversable propellers on turboprops. Directional control can be a challenge when using reverse thrust, as engines don't spool up at the same rate.

Crosswinds can present significant challenges, though transport category aircraft are less affected than smaller general aviaion aircraft.

Back in the freight flying days of my career I used to be quite comfortable sliding sideways down runways at 100 m.p.h. Lots of times I'd have to use differential power on the engines while landing to maintain some semblance of control.

I miss those days sometimes. Most of the time airline flying is sanitized so much the biggest challenge becomes managing fatigue.

Sorry I missed this.

It's not really "harder" to do either...at least not in a transport category aircraft with anti-skid brakes but it does require a lot more attention to detail.

Depending on the type and level of contamination, the aircraft may be weight restircted for departure...requiring us to carry less fuel than normal or in some cases, fewer passengers.

Airliners have to be able to accelerate to a particular speed, then stop on the remaining runway during an aborted takeoff. Different types of contamination will impact how heavy the aircraft can be for takeoff becase more mass = longer distance to accelerate and longer distance to stop.

Ice covered runways are likely going to produce a "nil" braking action report from someone, which is effectively going to shut the airport down until the airport management corrects the problem....unless we're talking about small airports in Michigan, where pilots have created thirteen unofficial categories between the official "Poor" and "Nil" because no one wants to be the one who shut the airport down for everyone else trying to get in behind him/her. When you start hearing Pilot Reports like "Very poor", "Extremely poor", "Almost nil", etc., it's time to take a good hard look at whether to continue the mission or scrap it and divert.

Airports served by scheduled airline service are generally pretty good about dealing with runway contamination...though severe weather events may have an impact on the volume of operations that facility can process.

Landing presents additional challenges. Stopping is aided by reverse thrust from jet engines, or reversable propellers on turboprops. Directional control can be a challenge when using reverse thrust, as engines don't spool up at the same rate.

Crosswinds can present significant challenges, though transport category aircraft are less affected than smaller general aviaion aircraft.

Back in the freight flying days of my career I used to be quite comfortable sliding sideways down runways at 100 m.p.h. Lots of times I'd have to use differential power on the engines while landing to maintain some semblance of control.

I miss those days sometimes. Most of the time airline flying is sanitized so much the biggest challenge becomes managing fatigue.

Very interesting info. Thanks for the share :thumbsup:

Back