Ear buds/plugs?

droptail

Registered
Looking for a good set of ear plugs, and preferably that are buds for MP3.
They need to fit under my full face helmet.

Thanks

Jim_on_Busa_1_1205_web.jpg

I have used many brands, all of them had some problem, would not stay in all the time, they would
eventually hurt my ears or wind noise would force me to turn the volume too high.

Then I found these through a friend who does long distance touring and has tried just about every thing you could think of when it has to do with touring.

These will save you from looking any more.

ER6 ear phones. They function as air plugs to cut down outside noise. I am happy with them.

They list for $139 kinda pricey. I found a white set on Amazon $85. Black was higher.

shop around for best price

http://www.amazon.com/Etymoti....&sr=1-3

http://www.jr.com/etymotic-research/pe/ETY_ER6C/

I had a headache yesterday at work and went home early. I rode the Hayabusa to work that do, so I grabbed some earplugs for the ride home to cut down on headache inducing road noise. Every time I tried to put my helmet on, the right one would get pulled out of my ear. How do you guys get earphones to work when you put your helmet on? I can't figure it out. It seems if the plug is not all the way in, the wind noise is actually amplified somehow.

I have SHURE SE530's I bought on Cheesebay for under $200 and they are in one word... unbelievable... Are they worth the $450 retail? maybe but I would be hard pressed to spend that)

Not sure they work so great on bike (getting lid off and on sux) but after you succeed, they are great.. Have only rode with them a couple times as I use my Chatterbox more often (lousy music reproduction IMO)

Think I will get a pair of ER6's for the bike if they are easier to get helmet off and on..

I'm sure all these are fine products!  However, hit your local Walmart or Target and or Best Buy and get a pair of skull candy!  About $19.99 and they rock and will have different ends to get the size you need.  I can put my helmet on without any problems.  http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/smokinbuds-p-10.html
I will agree with the skullcandyz. I have tried others (Inexpensive) and these are the best. I have never had a problem with getting the helmet on or off. Went riding for about 9 hours one day and never had any problems. Personally I can't see spending big money on earbuds. I would rather do other mods with that money.
Hope this helps.

I have a pair of skull candy knock off's. They are very good but my POS HJC helmet doesn't have any padding by the ear. So after a hour of fighting wind and sweating they start to come out. I thought about trying to tape them on my ears like the NASCAR guys tape in their ear pieces. Any idea what kinda tape they use?

Etymotic Research ER6's are by far the best I've used while riding, they provide the best noise insulation and sound
GREAT!

I also have a crap set I use for work. A Philips pair I bought from Walgreens a year ago.
I filed off the little stem attached to them and put a little dap of epoxy to secure the wire.
They sound good and isolate the machine noise and they cost $25, so I don't care if they get mucked up.

I went to target and got the philips surround sound buds. They stick in your ear and give real good sound quality inside of the helmet.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I should have been clear with my need for ambient noise reduction/elimination as much as possible. My ears ring for a day now after I ride my CBX (not so much on the Busa with 2 Bros, it seems more quiet), and thats with those spongie ear plugs in.

I am looking for the quietest pair of buds available. I found these and am considering them for your info:
null
Ear Buds

I recommend the Etymotic Research ER6i. I'm on my second set after the 1st set's wire at the tip finally gave out after about 4 years of use.

Good noise isolation, reasonable comfort, great sound reproduction, most important: easiest on and off with the helmet (Shoei RF-1000 and X11).

By the way, Etymotic, I understood to have started their business as hearing aid designers and manufacturers for the hard of hearing and elderly. For me, that says they should know what their doing, just like Shure (professional sound). I like the Shure's too, but the biggest issue was it was hard getting my helmet on with it, and once on, I barely was able to get it off... nearly had to go to the emergency room because I and my GF feared I would sustain injury if I kept trying (seriously!). I returned the Shure back to the Apple store the same day.

get the ER6i and you will not have a problem. They block out noise. I also had the ear ringing problem after long days of wind and engine noise. I ride for a living. Don't buy cheap...it won't work to the level you want. It will just get you by.

get the ER6i and you will not have a problem. They block out noise. I also had the ear ringing problem after long days of wind and engine noise. I ride for a living. Don't buy cheap...it won't work to the level you want. It will just get you by.
always works that way for me.. I try to save a few bucks and end up having to spend again... Probably why I have some stuff that seems like overkill but beats "wishing" I had done something different..

this will be my second set and they work like a champ for me. if they are not inserted correctly, they will hurt your ears but the sound quality is pretty good for $20 from ammazon.
thumb_up.gif

sony_buds.jpg

Back