Dyno question

Whats up with the hating on other peoples choice of brands here? I think we should respect each others choices, and just enjoy the brotherhood of the ride :beerchug: I run a yoshi that gave me almost 11hp, maybe a happy dyno I don't know, but it looks awesome on my 04LE busa and made a huge diff over stock power and weight wise. Plus its quiet enough to keep me happy! Let folks run what they want without the bashing, no time in life for that :laugh:

DO3: you should know that I respect you and consider you an asset to this board. The exeption that I had with you is that you did not "make a simple suggestion" as you previously said. What you did was say that this guy should drop the PC and have it ecu tuned, which you stated is better. You commenting on what it is like to fly the space shuttle would have about the same relevance. To be fair, there are a lot of people on this board that have made similar comments without knowing first hand what they are talking about. I got tired of hearing that from people who simply have no clue. You just happened along. Don't stop offering your comments and expertise on what you do know, as I said, it is an asset - thanks.

I'm not upset by your post. Apparently I piss off more than a few people around here, but I joke around a lot and my response to you about the nose bleed was meant in humor not anger and you were absolutely right about what you stated as far as my back ground and you are absolutely right about me offering opinions around here. I try to help out because so many people post up and never get a reply and I will give an opinion and typically but not always state that an expert will be along or that I'm not an expert an even ask them to PM someone who I feel is one. I need to be mindful and make sure that I'm always clear about it.

I would like for you to go back to page one and answer my questions about tuning. It's not a challenge, just me trying to understand. I have a PCIII running a base map and have been thinking about maybe doing something better than what I've got. But I'm basically a daily rider that doesn't put money on the line or go for trophies. A friend of mine that does know a little told me over the winter that I would be wasting my money to leave it the way it is, but I'm still looking for answers.

We're alright, you were right and I need to do a better job. As a matter of fact you have helped me to realize something about me that needed to be fixed. I appreciate it.

I'm not a grudge carrier, like Big Red said above its about the brotherhood of riders. I'm fine with everything and everybody :beerchug: Lets everybody just get out there and get some good rides in. I know I'm going to :laugh:
Be safe :peace:

Food for thought here, if you have a dyno, and can sniff the bike, or have a Innovative Sniffer, you can tune your bike without a PC.
With a lot of patience, it can be done ,but is really worth it?? Who knows. It is however much harder to change, than just loading a map. But the correct way for
either is a dyno is needed, to achieve the correct end result!
Go ahead and argue all you want, but how many cops can you tell,, sorry im just trying to tune my top speed map, when your puled over for 160 in a 50! :whistle::whistle:

When you say "base map" - if you are referring to fuel modifications, no I would not do a "base map". That is best done on a dyno, and any "bench" flash - like a canned Dynojet map, or someone else's custom map for that matter - would not do your bike justice. Fuel tuning is best done on a dyno. What I would do is remove gear limiters, the top speed limiter, modify and unify the ignition map to give you better throttle response from first through fourth, and for turbo applicatons, I would change the rev limit soft cut to a hard cut, modify the STP map, disable the ram air compensation, extend the IAP, etc. Many things that can and should be done depend on the specific application. I would do everything I could to de-restrict you ecu and modify any and all parameters that would complement your overall tune. Anyone looking to have this done by POWERHOUSE can request our "Ecu modification" form by email. Fill it out, send it in with your Ecu, and we will turn it around in one day and get it right back to you . . .:cheerleader:

What would changing the rev limit from soft cut to a hard cut do? What does disabling the ram air compensation do?

What would changing the rev limit from soft cut to a hard cut do? What does disabling the ram air compensation do?

The Busa's rev limit is controlled by a fuel cut. A soft cut will only shut down a few injectors while a hard cut will shut them all down. This is usually done on turbo bikes which risk damage by going into the rev limit with a few injectors running - which can cause a lean condition. The ram air compensation is something that I disable prior to a custom dyno session. When the bike comes off the dyno I re-enable it. This will insure that the bike has the same AFR I targeted on the dyno when it is actually going down the road, and the ram air is compensating for mph and rpm. Ram air compensation can also be adjusted for gearing other than stock.`

I realize I'm digging up a kinda old thread, but wanted to ask a couple of questions, mainly to POWERHOUSE, but any input is welcome.
first I know practically nothing, I’m just asking to learn.

A powercommander custom mapped by the right person will ALWAYS generate a better FUEL map than Ecu Editor ever could. It is more about the software than anything else . . .
Is this because it is just easier to do with the PC? I mean can’t the ECU editor create the same values? I’m not disagreeing, just trying to figure out the difference. I think I picked up on it just being harder to use, and maybe take longer, but maybe still COULD come up with the same tune eventually? Or is there just something that it can’t do no matter what?

What do you think about the autotune on the ecu editor? (wondering if this might fill the gap in the difficulty of getting the correct map in there…) I imagine probably not as good as a good custom tuner and a dyno, but how far off is it? sounds like it could be decent.

I have first gen ecu that was tuned by a tuner that the previous owner had done on a dyno (also tuned for a small nitrous shot). Is there a way to see what that tune is? (a starting point?) can other values be looked at?(like soft/vs hard cut and so on…)
Not that I’m planning on changing it…

I assume that nitrous would have the same ill effects as the turbo bikes with the soft cut, can I tell if I have a soft vs hard cut now? (it may already be hard cut)

And lastly, can other things be programmed into the ECU without messing with the MAP? (like I was thinking about lowering the ECU controlled shift light rpm a bit)

I realize I'm digging up a kinda old thread, but wanted to ask a couple of questions, mainly to POWERHOUSE, but any input is welcome.
first I know practically nothing, I’m just asking to learn.

Is this because it is just easier to do with the PC? I mean can’t the ECU editor create the same values? I’m not disagreeing, just trying to figure out the difference. I think I picked up on it just being harder to use, and maybe take longer, but maybe still COULD come up with the same tune eventually? Or is there just something that it can’t do no matter what?

What do you think about the autotune on the ecu editor? (wondering if this might fill the gap in the difficulty of getting the correct map in there…) I imagine probably not as good as a good custom tuner and a dyno, but how far off is it? sounds like it could be decent.

I have first gen ecu that was tuned by a tuner that the previous owner had done on a dyno (also tuned for a small nitrous shot). Is there a way to see what that tune is? (a starting point?) can other values be looked at?(like soft/vs hard cut and so on…)
Not that I’m planning on changing it…

I assume that nitrous would have the same ill effects as the turbo bikes with the soft cut, can I tell if I have a soft vs hard cut now? (it may already be hard cut)

And lastly, can other things be programmed into the ECU without messing with the MAP? (like I was thinking about lowering the ECU controlled shift light rpm a bit)

PM sent . . . :laugh:

Back