Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dying in upper throttle region.

jphilipson

Registered
Hey folks - a few days back, my bike started losing power up top and has gotten a little worse. It runs fine up to like 6 out of 10 on the throttle then cuts out past that. I already cleaned the BMC filter - it was a little gunky, but that does not appear to be the cause. I'm pulling the tank tonight to check and clean the fuel filter. What else should I be looking for if that does not work? Could it be bad power commander or PC connection? Should I disconnect that and see if it helps? Possible MAS or TPS?

Sounds like you're on the right track so far :thumbsup:

mine did the same thing... replaced the strainer and ran sea foam through it. it still did it and now im trying to figure out how to clean out the fuel filter in the black plastic housing? do you cut it open to get to the filter in there? a new one is $250 :banghead:

I believe badassbusaboy had the same problem and he had to replace the fuel pump. Costly

OK, got the pump and filter out. The mesh filter is really dirty. Going to blow the big crap off with compressed air, then I'll try cleaning it some more with Carb cleaner. Then will attempt to back flush the sealed filter as well to clean that.

Fuel pumps are very weak on these bikes. Very common for them to only last for 1 - 2 years, and then the bike lies down at 10 grand. Replace the pump and your problem will go away (for now). A remote pump and regulator are almost manditory if you plan to make any serious motor modifications.

Yeah, going to test the fuel flow after I do the filter cleaning. Hopefully it's not the fuel pump as I don't have $500 bucks laying around :(. Also, the symptoms are leading me to believe it's the filter still.

JP, thats fine. Although its hard to do a flow test at pressure with the pump all heated up. I think these are vane pumps, and they all seem to go soft and (at pressure) start losing flow. Most don't notice this since its hard to keep the motor above 9k for several seconds unless your racing.

check your plugs and see what condition they are in and yeah i would say powercommander sounds guilty, disconnect it and go for a ride and see if it changes at all ive seen them destroy how a bike runs and when you disconnect them they run just not perfectly but better than with it connected

JP, thats fine. Although its hard to do a flow test at pressure with the pump all heated up. I think these are vane pumps, and they all seem to go soft and (at pressure) start losing flow. Most don't notice this since its hard to keep the motor above 9k for several seconds unless your racing.

Mine is dying way before 9k :laugh: - Will post up results after the cleaning. And then will see how much the pump flows.

So yeah - turns out it was the fuel filter. Took out the filter/pump, and took it all apart. Cleaned the larger debris off the pick up screen with compressed air, then flushed it from the inside with carb cleaner. Once done, I cleaned it with water and dish soap to wash off the carb cleaner. Let that dry overnight so there was no remaining water. Next, I took the sealed filter and using a shampoo bottle and some 5/16 fuel hose, I back flushed that with clean gas until it ran clear. Came out very grimy at first, and took 4 bottles of gas to get it flowing clean. Got it all buttoned back up today and took her for a test spin. YAY, I HAVE POWER AGAIN!! :cheerleader:

i had to clean my whole fuel pump and filter out last week mine did the same thing loosing power on top i reversed flushed the whole pump blew air and cleaner in it it was muddy and trash came out

this is what came out of mine....
edc43cb8.jpg

27245c2e.jpg

Top Bottom