Drilled Stock Cans....?

The occasional 'racing' I do is on the street, therefore ETs, etc are not available.
I weigh about 220lbs in gear. Majority were not geared up, or heavier than I.

And I don't believe I was "sounding" like I was faster than the other bikes (in those instances) since they "were indeed" behind me.

Mr Bear, you leave a "hole" in each post. You stated that Turbo Rick's category was "stock appearing". Does that classification include sound as well? Who knows what baffle system is in those stock cans, or any other mod? I tout TurboRick/his bike's performance as well. TurboRick makes BUSA riders proud. However, Gixxer1300R mentioned the Yosh baffle changes available to the stock setup, which I have not experienced as yet. If true, 6 hp for 80 bucks is real bang for buck! Looks like I need to contact him on that info as well.

It is obvious you will not be drilling your cans and I am happy for you. I've achieved the result I sought and beyond regarding my stock can modification. To me, a home modification (such as we mention) is not enough to justify putting a bike on dyno. It
's understood at outset of mod that it would be a minimal change.

To paraphrase you, I like the (semi-audible) "sleeper concept". Is that ok?

I don't know...........I just hate to think I have to chalk up those situations in past (you know, with the other busas behind me and all) to just plain, old, superior skills.

After all, the last time I consistently rode a bike was in '89. I got back on my old '79 GS1000E in April '99, then bought Busa in July. 10,800+ on odom.

I admit I tout Rick's accomplishments too. He told me some of what he had done to his Busa. I know he didn't tell everything, some is privileged info. He didn't volunteer it, and I didn't ask.

I read some about the SCTA rules and compliance for "Stock-appearing" bikes, but don't know all details. In his case, 15-1 pistons, Web Cams, and a PC-II box were in compliance with the rules. The exhaust was externally/cosmetically, and audibly, indistinguishable from stock. He said the stock exhaust works fine for what he was doing with the bike. I don't know whether or not he did any "extracirricular" work inside the cans.

He also said that quite soon, for CA-models, we poor saps will probably have to deal with smog testing every other year, like cars here do now. Stock parts are very helpful for passing those tests, if you're unlucky to have to deal with that.

You might in fact be more skillful than the Busa riders you pulled on the street. But street riding has lots of variables, "getting the drop" on the other rider seems like about 95% of winning there, in my experience.

One mod that is probably very good, bang-for-the-buck-wise, is simply removing the flapper valve in the airbox. I am trying to keep my Busa stock, but might have to try that one.

I have pictures now, it's surprisingly difficult to snap a shot of inside of the cans.

Inside cansiter shot:
http://img5.webshots.com/photos20/188/14/1881428hqvdJomLAS_photo.jpg

What came out of the canister shot:
http://img5.webshots.com/photos20/188/14/1881441IWAyhgmEQw_photo.jpg

And this was just for fun, learning photoshop(it's a new bike pic taken today):
http://img5.webshots.com/photos20/188/14/1881445kAYCXMcJML_photo.jpg

Thanks for all the discussion, this has been an interesting project.

Ride safe,
Martin

I gutted stock cans and made a new post on this....very deep sounding now...power seems fine but I see where you blocked off pair valve???why???let me know??

On the right side of the air-box, lift tank, there is a larger (1/2" tube) that feed the PAIR valve from the air-box. I noticed a little "almost backfire" on deceleration. There have been many posts on blocking or removing the PAIR valve on exhaust mods. After I plugged the PAIR, the bike sounds very clean on deceleration, I no longer get the coughs, sputter backfires. There is no performance gain/loss, only reducing possible backfire. I plan to eventually remove the PAIR and hopefully get a full exhaust, but this works for now.
Martin

I do have to say, I'm still personally not "100%" satisfied, to the point where I don't think I would recommend gutting or drilling your cans. I think it still sounds a bit tinny, the ultimate stock can mod would be ordering a set of yosh competition baffles $50, and fitting them in the stock cans. If I still had access to a machine shop, I would do it. $100 plus packing and you've got some killer slip-ons.
Martin

Back