Dont you hate ...........

UPDATE:

Doctor is going to do another "Micro-Disc Ectomy" thursday the 29th. That will give 4 weeks healing by time for the bash.

I will be bringing the bike, and "gently" riding. i do plan to ride the dragon at least 1 time, but at MY pace. I do not want to over do the back. I think that a month heal time should be ok, for a light, slow ride.

the ride plans are subject to change, depending on how at feel at the time.
muscle.gif

(badassbusa03 @ Mar. 27 2007,09:41) UPDATE:

Doctor is going to do another "Micro-Disc Ectomy" thursday the 29th. That will give 4 weeks healing by time for the bash.

I will be bringing the bike, and "gently" riding. i do plan to ride the dragon at least 1 time, but at MY pace. I do not want to over do the back. I think that a month heal time should be ok, for a light, slow ride.

muscle.gif
That's the same procedure I had...recovery wasn't bad at all, but I don't know that you'd want to be out riding for a while...you really could reinjure the surgical site and be right back where you were...I wasn't even allowed back to work to sit at a desk for 7 weeks post surgery, and that's just sitting!!

Just take it easy...best of luck with the surgery! It's was outpatient for me, very much non-invasive, tiny incision, get some pain pills but take it easy with 'em...I learned exactly why drug addicts choose to keep taking 'em! That was 5 days of hell while I tried withdrawal from the meds
sad.gif

You're in my thoughts
smile.gif

Have you thought about fusion surgery?

I also have a herniated L5-S1 along with C6-C7. And from all my reading on the internet, I'm thinking you may want fusion. They can either implant a cadaver bone or a plastic disk (shy away from hip bone as then you have TWO surgeries to heal from). That way you don't have to worry about it rupturing again, PLUS the more they take off of it, the less you will have between your vertebrae- could cause nerve damage.

My brother had 2 collapsed disks and he had his fused. He was out pulling weeds out of his yard 2 weeks later (not recommended) because he couldn't believe he was pain free, and he just wanted to MOVE.

I've heard that once you have a laminectomy, that it can rupture again. Guess you proved it.

Hope you feel better... Good luck with the surgery.

(VaBusa @ Mar. 27 2007,09:45)
(badassbusa03 @ Mar. 27 2007,09:41) UPDATE:

muscle.gif
That's the same procedure I had...recovery wasn't bad at all, but I don't know that you'd want to be out riding for a while...you really could reinjure the surgical site and be right back where you were...I wasn't even allowed back to work to sit at a desk for 7 weeks post surgery, and that's just sitting!!  

Just take it easy...best of luck with the surgery!  It's was outpatient for me, very much non-invasive, tiny incision, get some pain pills but take it easy with 'em...I learned exactly why drug addicts choose to keep taking 'em!  That was 5 days of hell while I tried withdrawal from the meds  
sad.gif

You're in my thoughts  
smile.gif
yea, same surgery that i had in january. i was back at the desk after 2 weeks, but only at 1/2 days. i was back in the saddle on small, short rides after a month or so after the 1st time, and it didnt seem to bother it too bad.

as for the pain meds, after the surgery, the only pain pill i had was the one that the hospital made me take. i had a full bottle that i never touched.

thanks for the prayers.

My doc said that sitting at a desk was the worst thing to do after that surgery because it would compress the vertebrae again and potentially cause the disc to slip before healing fully...

Just take it easy...NO KNEE DRAGGING AT THE BASH!!

(LadyHawk @ Mar. 27 2007,10:15) Have you thought about fusion surgery?

I also have a herniated L5-S1 along with C6-C7. And from all my reading on the internet, I'm thinking you may want fusion. They can either implant a cadaver bone or a plastic disk (shy away from hip bone as then you have TWO surgeries to heal from). That way you don't have to worry about it rupturing again, PLUS the more they take off of it, the less you will have between your vertebrae- could cause nerve damage.

My brother had 2 collapsed disks and he had his fused. He was out pulling weeds out of his yard 2 weeks later (not recommended) because he couldn't believe he was pain free, and he just wanted to MOVE.

I've heard that once you have a laminectomy, that it can rupture again. Guess you proved it.

Hope you feel better... Good luck with the surgery.
talked to my DR about the fusion, and he wont do it right now. he said even if i were his brother, he would not even recommend it then.

he said that if it goes back out 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, or when ever, that we would discuss futher options then.

They also told me that only "virgin" patients are candidates for the disc replacements. i dont know what the difference would be for someone that has already had the microdisc surgeries, but they wont do it.

The second herniation is so big, that you can not even see the nerve running down by that disc.
SHOCKED.gif

(badassbusa03 @ Mar. 27 2007,14:11) talked to my DR about the fusion, and he wont do it right now. he said even if i were his brother, he would not even recommend it then.

he said that if it goes back out 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, or when ever, that we would discuss futher options then.

They also told me that only "virgin" patients are candidates for the disc replacements. i dont know what the difference would be for someone that has already had the microdisc surgeries, but they wont do it.

The second herniation is so big, that you can not even see the nerve running down by that disc.  
SHOCKED.gif
Hmmm.. not sure what to think about the "virgin" comment. Guess he knows best, since he's the doctor.

As for the herniation ->
SHOCKED.gif
crazy.gif
DUDE!! Hope they schedule you quickly.. and maybe it's time for a vicodin!

SHOCKED.gif

(LadyHawk @ Mar. 27 2007,14:16)
(badassbusa03 @ Mar. 27 2007,14:11) talked to my DR about the fusion, and he wont do it right now. he said even if i were his brother, he would not even recommend it then.

SHOCKED.gif
Hmmm.. not sure what to think about the "virgin" comment. Guess he knows best, since he's the doctor.

As for the herniation ->
SHOCKED.gif

crazy.gif
  DUDE!! Hope they schedule you quickly.. and maybe it's time for a vicodin!
DR office visit was Monday 3-26. Surgery is Thursday 3-29.

IMO that pretty quick for a DR who works 2 different hospitals and areas.

beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif

SHOCKED.gif

Lots of thoughts and prayers will be with you... If / when you make it to the Bash, lots of people will be keeping an eye on you so don't push your limits! Take your time with this - your health is too important to mess with.

(LCB @ Mar. 27 2007,16:27) Lots of thoughts and prayers will be with you... If / when you make it to the Bash, lots of people will be keeping an eye on you so don't push your limits! Take your time with this - your health is too important to mess with.
agreed, thats why if i do ride more than just to the group photo, i will be riding at a slow pace. i dont drag knees, never have, probably never will. i admit that i have about 1/4" chicken stripes, but given the conditions right now, i only need the center of the tire.

again, thanks to all for the support, thoughts, and prayers (i sure do need them at a time like this).

and if you need anything while we're down there - just ask. Don't be shy or worse, try to be manly! If you feel like you shouldn't ride but you want your bike in the pics - we'll take care of it. Deal?

(LCB @ Mar. 27 2007,16:39) and if you need anything while we're down there - just ask. Don't be shy or worse, try to be manly!  If you feel like you shouldn't ride but you want your bike in the pics - we'll take care of it.  Deal?
sounds good to me.

Thanks

Back