Dont you hate ...........

badassbusa03

I have a busa and might start modding it
Donating Member
Registered
the fact that you have made plans to attend the bash, then MB bike week a few weeks later, and something terrible happens that might prevent you from going?

well that has happened to me.

as alot of you guys know, i had a micro discectomy back in january, from a herniated disc at L5-S1, that herniated in august 07. the surgery went good, and i was pain free and healing back up.

3-3, i went on a ride (238 mi round trip) with punisher to rockingham to meet rockadaous. the ride was great and met a great guy (had previously met punisher). the following days after the ride, i felt great and was glad that i was able to ride again pain free.

my wife kept pushing me to do things that i deemed not good for my back, and i kept telling her that i was afraid that i was going to re-injure, and would have to have another surgery.

well wednesday 3-7, the wife had me start a remodeling project, that consisted of taking paneling off the wall, and removing a fiberglass shower that had several big cracks in the floor of it. everything that had to be done to remove the shower, was done solely by me alone with the exception of actually carrying it out. i had my cousin help there, but was just him and i.

thursday 3-8, my back and legs were KILLING me with pain. so i had my back dr schedule an MRI so that i can come in for a visit and find out what has happened.

the wife is trying to blame the rockingham ride as the culprit of my back and leg hurting.

MRI results came in yesterday ...........

Re herniation of disc at L5-S1, and in comparison to the MRI in december 06 ........ this one is much larger than the other.

my doctor is out of the office this week, but his partner is in. i would like to wait until next week on 3-27, to discuss options with my doctor. then again, i want to take the offer of having an emergecny operation done (which would be a 2nd micro disc). the nurse told me that this herniation is the biggest that she has seen in all her years in the practice. she is also saying that she does not see how i am able to walk and such with the condition of my disc. she told me that if i got to the point that i could not bear the pain any longer, or if i lost control of the leg, control of my bladder, or control of my bowls, to IMMEDIATELY get to the ER, and they would do an emergency operation.

i want to discuss with my doctor about other more permanent options of fixing this disc. i dont want the possibilties of having it re-herniate again 3 more months down the road, because i wasnt paying attention to what i was or wasnt doing.

well saying all that, <s>if</s> when i have another operation, that will put my recovery time during the bash. i would most ikely still come, and possibly even still trailer the bike up, but i would not be able to do any riding. which also would mean that i would miss having her in group pics, and pics of me on her on the dragon.

i am at a loss now for what to do. i am definately going to have another surgery, and still planning on attending the bash. i just hate the fact that i will be missing out on the fun.

this second operation will just rack up more medical bills for me that i can not afford to pay.

Brian - You live in North Carolina and there are Bashes 2x per year - if nothing else, go in Sept and then the big one in April again next year... What is most important is for you to get healthy and be as close to 100% as possible. As far as what caused the herniation, well that one is between you and your wife... as Devil's advocate:
You - The riding position doesn't hurt to hold and the road trip is actually theraputic for me.
Her - Well, how convienient is it that you can do what you enjoy without pain, but you can't take care of our remodeling project/chores etc.

The whole thing sucks, and if you mke it to the Bash - it will be great to meet you - but making it to the Bash is not worth your health...

I'm sorry to hear it man. You know if there is anything I can do to help you then just give me a shout. I'm not too far away to help.

Pun.

Man that soooo sucks, I feel your pain, I've been dealing with 2 herniated discs and a shifting/misaligned tailbone for 2 yrs., have had 1 cat scan 2 sets of x-rays and 3 mri's and 2 epidurals(pain block)they still say they can't do anything for me at this time(surgery wise). This tailbone problem is actually what drove me to sportbikes, mainly the riding position gets me off my tailbone whereas when riding my cruiser for long distances I am sitting directly on the tailbone and hurt for days after a long ride. hope you get better soon...

I feel for you man but you have to remember your health is most important... There will ALWAYS be more bashes with this group of guys i dont ever see them coming to an end  
smile.gif
so with that said get your health straightened out make sure your good to ride stay at home if you must for the more permanent surgery... there will be plenty of pictures and maybe vids to go around to keep you enjoyed.  Also i would recommend the more permanent surgery because as you previously stated sure it would be great to heal up sooner but it would be even worse if you tried to enjoy yourself or do something you had to get done around the house and re-hashed your old bruises.  So get better and make ultimate plans to make next year even better
smile.gif
oh and one more thing GET WELL SOON!
wink.gif

smile.gif

Your health & well being is certainly more important than RIDING at the Bash. I say get the surgery and cage up to the Bash, if your able. You can have fun around the fires on Friday & Saturday nights and relax during the day. Meet peeps and tell tall tales............There will be other Bash's to ride in!

(MC MUSTANG @ Mar. 20 2007,22:06) Brian - You live in North Carolina and there are Bashes 2x per year - if nothing else, go in Sept and then the big one in April again next year... What is most important is for you to get healthy and be as close to 100% as possible.  As far as what caused the herniation, well that one is between you and your wife... as Devil's advocate:
You - The riding position doesn't hurt to hold and the road trip is actually theraputic for me.
Her - Well, how convienient is it that you can do what you enjoy without pain, but you can't take care of our remodeling project/chores etc.

The whole thing sucks, and if you mke it to the Bash - it will be great to meet you - but making it to the Bash is not worth your health...
Shawn - completely agree with what you said about healing up to 100% healthy. as many know, the spring bash is always larger than the fall, and attending this has been a priority for me since last years fall bash that i was not able to attend (had been initially diagnosed while trying to plan attending).

also as i said above, even if i am not able to ride then, i might still trailer her up and possibly toy with the idea of somehow getting her to the group photo, whether that is trailering her there and unloading, or possibly a surrogate rider (
crazy.gif
).

just seems to me that my luck here lately has been running like this. if it werent for bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all.
pissed.gif

I'm sorry to hear it man.  You know if there is anything I can do to help you then just give me a shout.  I'm not too far away to help.

Pun.[/Quote]

Bryan - i know that you arent that far away, and i have your number ( 
rock.gif
) that didnt sound right, so EDIT!
ices_rofl.gif

Hy_Rolr, HAYA!Busa, & Poppy thanks for the words of encouragement.

That sucks. Get better. I guess they don't do redos?

Get better, the fun is always there...your health is important.

(BlueHaya @ Mar. 20 2007,22:31) That sucks.  Get better.  I guess they don't do redos?

Get better, the fun is always there...your health is important.
they can go back in the same incision, and do a 2nd microdisc (not free
crazy.gif
). but i would want a more stable and permanent fix, that would leave the "what ifs" out of the equation

Uh, no calls, just the P.M.s and chats. But the offer stands, anything I can do to help out let me know.

Pun.

(Punisher @ Mar. 20 2007,22:35) Uh, no calls, just the P.M.s and chats.  But the offer stands, anything I can do to help out let me know.

Pun.
was trying to be smart, as in like pranks, lol

didnt sound too good the way i worded it, so i edited
ices_rofl.gif

I figured that, but cell phone sucks in the house. Half the time I don't get calls until I'm outside.
crazy.gif

Very sorry to hear your plans got side tracked~ We'll miss ya at the Bash, but you do need to take care of #1 first~
For now... take it easy on yourself and heal well...
cool.gif

Sorry, about your back. I had back surgery about 4 years ago. Do exactly what they tell you to do. Do the exercises and everything it makes a big difference if you follow the docs advice.
Brad

I'm so sorry to hear that...I can tell you from personal experience that long rides after back surgery aren't worth it...I did the same and paid the price afterwards...I too had a herniated disc, could not walk, had to wait 2 weeks for surgery because my doctor was so backed up with others needing surgeries, had a so-so epidural to help ease the pain 'til he could get me in the OR.  
sad.gif

It's taken a full year if not a big longer to really feel like my back is getting back to normal again.  Long rides still bother me some, but I'm no longer fearing I'll re-injure myself to that same extent.  Same goes for house work and honey-do projects!  You've got to give yourself ample time to heal after surgery so you don't end up having the same problem all over again.  I'm still leary of just picking up the bags of dog food and it's been 1.5 years post surgery.

Best advice is to just take it easy for a while after surgery this time around.  There will be plenty of Bashes and you can always hit one down the road.

Best of luck with surgery!!!  
smile.gif

thanks for all the thoughts guys (and gals).

either way, i will be at the bash, just wishing that i would be able to ride. it would be nice to have mine in the group shot, but oh well.

im not gonna let getting "repaired" again keep me away from meeting all of you.

like i said earlier, i might trailer her up just for the fun of it, and so you all can see her too.

sorry to hear about your difficulties but don't jeapordize your health...just my opinion but i would concentrate on getting my back permenantly fixed first...you can always come to the Spring Bash and meet everyone and then plan on riding the Dragon in the Fall
beerchug.gif

Wow man, I'm really sorry to hear this. I have a lower disk problem too at times and it's just a matter of time. When miine "goes out" (a couple of times a year) I can't walk at all for about two or three days.

In any case, as much as we love the bash you gotta take care of your health first and we'll all be praying for a speedy recovery for you! Take care!!!!

very sorry to hear about your back. i too have back problems and it sucks. i blew out L3,4,5 on the squat rack my freshamn yr of college which cost me my football scholarship. i didnt go the surgery route, instead i opted for the cortizone injections. all is well now, but i can def feel it after a good long rode or on those rainy days. back pain sucks bad!!! i wish ya a speedy recovery and hope to meet ya at the bash!!!
beerchug.gif

Back