Does your state do something like this?

Why not just cut down the trees, or make a runoff. You know, maybe im just crazy but wouldn't it be better to FIX the hazard? If you think about it, eventually we are going to be up to our armpits in these memorials.

No offense to anyone who has lost a loved one. Wouldn't a fitting memorial be for your loved one to be the LAST person to buy it in a particular turn?

you could *never* fix places like the southern state on long island. In fact, its pretty unlikely that they would ever really make a massive push to get folks to follow the posted speed limit there. The first time I drove down it, at the speed limit mind you, I was like whooahahahah. Now when I drive to JFK I get through most of the parts easily 10-30mph over the speed limit AND people pass me like I'm not even there. On the major highways on the island about the only time anyone is doing the speed limit is horrible weather or if there are lots of cops that are clearly pulling people over. Most of the time 10-20mph over the posted speed limit will not get you pulled over, heck just driving the speed limit on the Long Island Expressway can cause major traffic jams :laugh:

I think its different everywhere and I agree it would make more sense to try and fix issues but I also offer that fixing issues could cause more problems because folks might drive even "worse" without the current setups

Nothing but a stupid fad that's been building momentum for the last 10 years. In Indiana they are all made by families and friends...I'd have real issues if my tax dollars were going towards official metal signs.

They are eyesores and a distraction. Considering how many are placed throughout the US, (especially in areas that were dangerous to begin with because a person died there!) I bet more than one person has been killed over the distraction. Then you have the ghetto areas which really take it to the next level. Within 3 months there's a 10' pile of soggy moldy stuffed animals climbing up telephone poles. If it was a murder, it'll be a mountain blocking the sidewalk.

If I ever bite it on the road, my family and friends better not put up something...if they do, I'll come back and haunt them for the rest of their lives.

To make a point. Not everyone that dies on or near the road in an accident gets one of those. Family has to request it be done. It's a very low percent of people who do that. So it's not like Everytime someone goes away they put one up.

Back