Do you always use both brakes?

Do you always use both brakes when stopping?

• YES

Votes: 209 50.6%
  • NO

Votes: 204 49.4%

• Total voters
It was very interesting hearing what everyone had to say. I learned a couple things and was completely blown away by others.

I use my front brake about 90% of the time. The only times I use my rear brake is for emergency situations, when I'm feeling lazy, going across unusual terrain or trail braking through corners. Other then that it's front brake all the way.

It was very interesting hearing what everyone had to say. I learned a couple things and was completely blown away by others.

I use my front brake about 90% of the time. The only times I use my rear brake is for emergency situations, when I'm feeling lazy, going across unusual terrain or trail braking through corners. Other then that it's front brake all the way.

Trail braking is the act of braking past the entry point of a corner. Trail braking should be done with the front brake to keep the forks compressed through the entry. Some well schooled racers use the rear on entry to help steer the bike. Using the rear brake on corner entry is tricky business and probably should be left to professionals.

Same with emergency/panic stops. The rear brake can quickly turn a panic stop into a disaster.

This thread is a clasic example: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...el-like-someone-trying-tell-me-something.html

Street riding I do use both brakes. If I'm going fast and try to slow down as fast as possible I neglect the rear brake. Using the rear brake at a high rate of speed is just asking for a disaster to happen. If you don't believe me email Kevin Schwantz.
:laugh:

Street riding probably use both brakes more often but for fast riding of an area I know where I'm going I try to trail brake and only use the rear brake. Some times I am not successful and have to right the bike mid corner and use fronts then back to leaning... my rear won't lock the wheel and to me using the front brake tends to make the bike hard to countersteer through the corners. Just what works for me.

Last edited:
I use both almost all the time, for that reason I voted yes on the poll. I stepped up from a standard motorcycle (Honda night hawk 650). I needed both breaks due to the weight distribution. I rode that for almost 8 years so here I am with a habit that I really don't want to break.

On to the Busa. I still use both breaks but the front take the lions share of the load. I do use the rear to settle the suspention a touch. When I am 2up the rear works great. 1up not so much.

Again it will be trial and error for a while. You will get that instinct for when and how hard to use the break depending on how the bike feels. And don't feel bad about the drop I think almost all of us have dropped our bikes at one time or another.

I use both, but when I first began riding bikes I didn't. I used to fear the front brakes (being the more powerful of the two), used to think that I'd ENDO if I squeezed to quickly/firmly..

I came from riding a Harley, where rear brake was primary....and I learned my lesson when I almost ran into a stop sign with the Busa. I now use the front brake as primary (90%) with a bit of rear break for added stopping power. I should use both in unison, but I don't.

I use both almost all the time, for that reason I voted yes on the poll. I stepped up from a standard motorcycle (Honda night hawk 650). I needed both breaks due to the weight distribution. I rode that for almost 8 years so here I am with a habit that I really don't want to break.

On to the Busa. I still use both breaks but the front take the lions share of the load. I do use the rear to settle the suspention a touch. When I am 2up the rear works great. 1up not so much.

Again it will be trial and error for a while. You will get that instinct for when and how hard to use the break depending on how the bike feels. And don't feel bad about the drop I think almost all of us have dropped our bikes at one time or another.

I see you live in N. Idaho? How far from Spokane?

We @ "SullivanRaceSchool.com" have three track events in Spokane this summer. Come out and join in the fun. I'll be happy to work with you on improved braking! Feel free to PM me if you are interested! :thumbsup:

I always teach riders of sport bikes and cruisers to use both brakes all the time.

Ironically, I notice that cruiser riders have a mantra: "Never use your front brakes, you'll kill yourself."

Sport bikers say, "Never use your rear brakes, you'll kill yourself."

The reality is, you should train yourself or get proper training on using both brakes together in order to maximize your stopping power.

At the very least, learn to do it properly in a straight line. That would be a great start, to be sure.

--Wag--

I have a practice exercise if you would like to know my approach. I am 100% front brake and have the rear originals still looking brand new.

Old exercise: One night, I borrowed (and that is all I will say) someone's 19** Honda with dual front discs. The exercise I would practice is run the bike up to about 100mph. Lock the front brake till you could feel the front end washout. Once the skid is in motion, the handle bars move away from center, you release brake lever. Exercise over.
The loss of speed is approx 9mph, once you recover looking down at the speedo a few times, say 18 times in one night. Then I handed the bike back a few days later after another brake check session. The return of the bike to it's original owner, was left with 2 blown fork seals. :whistle:

Updated Exercise: Since the leap in speed between those decades, I've up'da speed to approx 130mph no problem. Especially the brakes on the bikes today, you should be an expert once you feel the front end washout you release and bind on the brakes again like it's nothing now.

Heck, just the other day, I knew I was rolling way too fast with a dead engine, just about to squeeze in between parked cars in the driveway. It was the turning radius that was too fast, heading for that open garage door. Still sitting straight up, I deliberately slammed on the front brake lever, felt the front wash, slowed plenty and still recovered to turn and glide in between them now. It was all very quick on the draw 'learned' reaction. :thumbsup:

If you think I am BS'inn you, I took photos if you would like to see both front and rear pad sets. Challenge me and I will post them like you better start practicing is my warning banner is out; you are on your own death wish you had better braking ability is ... :boxing: Brakes 1, your rear end on the ground 0. Up the skill level. Avoid danger you put yourself in with the quick reflex [keep the practice alive just so you have some] reaction = Road Rash >> :moon: or another way to remove white filled puffed up pimples you washout those undies a little more often. :rofl:

I'll feather the rear in corners so it runs it tighter, I also harden the rear suspension for the same reason. But other than that it's all front, I test my brakes with emergency tests on the sly sometimes too.

Last edited:
I normally ride two up with my wife and get in the habit of using both brakes simply because we need them. If we hit a hard tight mountain, the back usually fades real bad (until I upgrade to SS lines and syn fluid) on any bike we ride. Nothing like coming into a hard left hander and surprise...no rear brake~!~ Much more braking power is used double up. Front is fine, I just need to know ahead of time, LoL

That being said, by myself I use the brakes a little differently and voted no.

I have ? on the syn brake and clutch fluid just wondering does it make any diff i do know syn motor oil does for the motor

I voted no. For straight line stops, yes, it's a good habit to be in for the shortest stops. But depending on conditions and lean angles etc, sometimes I use one or another.

i use both breaks for street riding, its what i was taught and its a habit. like others said it also depends on the situation. but just plain ol street riding i use both.

Back