Cylinder 2-4 not firing.

Djmurria

Registered
Hey just got a hayabusa that wasn't starting. Put a new harness on it and it fired right up. Cylinders 2 and 4 aren't firing. Swapped injectors around stays the same, same with coils. Plugged a extra injector in and it's firing the injector. Thought since bike is a 01 with 02 computer and harness that they didn't change flywheel rotor but it has the one with teeth and not long slots. Took fuel pump apart as well and put new strainer in it.
Can somebody please help really trying to get back riding?

Hey just got a hayabusa that wasn't starting. Put a new harness on it and it fired right up. Cylinders 2 and 4 aren't firing. Swapped injectors around stays the same, same with coils. Plugged a extra injector in and it's firing the injector. Thought since bike is a 01 with 02 computer and harness that they didn't change flywheel rotor but it has the one with teeth and not long slots. Took fuel pump apart as well and put new strainer in it.
Can somebody please help really trying to get back riding?
If you've tested and found the injectors and coils are getting signal and firing you need to do a compression test on it. A little more background if you have any such as why you changed the harness on the bike maybe helpful for anyone trying to help diagnose and since it looks like you've been a member for awhile you should know we really like pics :thumbsup: .

If you've tested and found the injectors and coils are getting signal and firing you need to do a compression test on it. A little more background if you have any such as why you changed the harness on the bike maybe helpful for anyone trying to help diagnose and since it looks like you've been a member for awhile you should know we really like pics :thumbsup: .
Changed the harness because the one on the bike was super hacked up and allot of the grounds were burnt. Swapper 2 with 1, and 4 with 3 and same thing, also tried with some others my dad had seemed to have helped a little bit but 2 and 4 don't change that much when disconnected . Free revving won't go past about 8-9k under load only will rev to about 5-6k thinking it may be the injectors going to try my dad's set when I get the chance. Here's a pic of my baby, she's called ol ugly until she gets painted

20210131_151450.jpg

20210131_151450.jpg

Changed the harness because the one on the bike was super hacked up and allot of the grounds were burnt. Swapper 2 with 1, and 4 with 3 and same thing, also tried with some others my dad had seemed to have helped a little bit but 2 and 4 don't change that much when disconnected . Free revving won't go past about 8-9k under load only will rev to about 5-6k thinking it may be the injectors going to try my dad's set when I get the chance. Here's a pic of my baby, she's called ol ugly until she gets painted

View attachment 1632451

View attachment 1632452
I would definitely do a compression test just so u got an idea of how the engine is, if those test good then I'd move on to checking injectors. That's one of my favorite colors on the gen 1s, cant go wrong with red :thumbsup:.

I would definitely do a compression test just so u got an idea of how the engine is, if those test good then I'd move on to checking injectors. That's one of my favorite colors on the gen 1s, cant go wrong with red :thumbsup:.
Going to have to buy the stuff to do a compression test. Going to be leaving it at my dad's he going to try swapping his throttle bodies and injectors over since his injectors are new.
I like anything red lol. I wish I could paint it to match my dad's 2004 limited edition but paint prices are too high.

Update my dad didn't change anything went out to start it today and it was doing this. Any idea what's going on? Doesn't seem short on fuel anymore lol

It has the clutch switch wired on all the time, have no clue if it's going to help or not but going to fix that the right way to see if it's hitting a rev limiter or something. Don't know if bike has been ecu flashed they did say it had a power commander on it but not one on there now. Bike has me and my dad both stumped wasn't doing this last time he started it and all 4 cylinders are for sure working now he put his hand over each throttle body and it bogged down on each one. Still haven't got the chance to get the stuff to do a compression test either but definitely going to, snow in texas messed up my plans lol

Last edited:
I would bet there may be a problem with the ECU, have you changed that yet?
We did when I first got it before we changed the wiring harness swapped back to my ecu though after. Going to try the one off my dad's bike. Ironically it says Good on it so it's been tested at some point lol but that old harness may have messed it up

It has the clutch switch wired on all the time, have no clue if it's going to help or not but going to fix that the right way to see if it's hitting a rev limiter or something. Don't know if bike has been ecu flashed they did say it had a power commander on it but not one on there now. Bike has me and my dad both stumped wasn't doing this last time he started it and all 4 cylinders are for sure working now he put his hand over each throttle body and it bogged down on each one. Still haven't got the chance to get the stuff to do a compression test either but definitely going to, snow in texas messed up my plans lol
Bypassing the clutch switch makes the ecu stay in the neutral map. The fueling and ignition is way different in that map, and keeps you from making full power. If you put an ecu in it that has the 2 step turned on, that’s your problem.

Update my dad didn't change anything went out to start it today and it was doing this. Any idea what's going on? Doesn't seem short on fuel anymore lol

the misfiring can be caused by the 2nd air system if you have a 4-1 exhaust
pull the hose from the airbox and clogg the short pipe at the box and the hose - the misfiring should stop immediately (my 1st ´00 did so :) till she "went" away - my "new" ´00 got this mod 2 days after i got it in my workshop).
by that "clogging the box´s pipe" you also can rip all that shitty entire 2nd-air system and clogg the 4 holes above the the 4 downpipes at the head by 4 alu-plates (or drilling a thread into plus a fitting screw)

see my descriptions
here#1
and
here#2

good luck

Bypassing the clutch switch makes the ecu stay in the neutral map. The fueling and ignition is way different in that map, and keeps you from making full power. If you put an ecu in it that has the 2 step turned on, that’s your problem.
Ok thanks will try to fix that asap, my dad hasn't had time to mess with it and me being 200 miles away from it isn't helping either. I don't know if the ecu has 2 step turned on or not wasn't running when we picked it up and all we've changed so far was the wiring harness and stator and swapped some injectors around.

the misfiring can be caused by the 2nd air system if you have a 4-1 exhaust
pull the hose from the airbox and clogg the short pipe at the box and the hose - the misfiring should stop immediately (my 1st ´00 did so :) till she "went" away - my "new" ´00 got this mod 2 days after i got it in my workshop).
by that "clogging the box´s pipe" you also can rip all that shitty entire 2nd-air system and clogg the 4 holes above the the 4 downpipes at the head by 4 alu-plates (or drilling a thread into plus a fitting screw)

see my descriptions
here#1
and
here#2

good luck
I dont believe it has the pair still on it. Previous owner put screws in holes under where header mounts. and my dad said somebody did a "airbox mod" or something like that too it.

Start looking for Mice chewing's on the harness, and such
That's on my list of stuff to do, other then the new one being cut at the gauge cluster and rectifier seemed like it was in good shape from a quick look over, but planning on going through it and rewrapping it with wire loom or fabric tape

Was able to get to dallas to mess with the bike more. Undid the clutch switch same thing would rev to about 7k and shoot flames. Did the fuel filter mod thanks chrisjp for the write up(pic is of gas that came out after doing filter mod, gas or filter full of crap). Bike wouldn't start at all still was just like put put put. Put new plugs in it and started right up. Now it'll rev to red line seems rich though when I rev it I get black smoke. The pair actuator on the airbox is gone but the solenoid is still there would that cause problems? Didn't get to track it but seems like they looped it back onto the solenoid.

20210305_182024.jpg

Was able to get to dallas to mess with the bike more. Undid the clutch switch same thing would rev to about 7k and shoot flames. Did the fuel filter mod thanks chrisjp for the write up(pic is of gas that came out after doing filter mod, gas or filter full of crap). Bike wouldn't start at all still was just like put put put. Put new plugs in it and started right up. Now it'll rev to red line seems rich though when I rev it I get black smoke. The pair actuator on the airbox is gone but the solenoid is still there would that cause problems? Didn't get to track it but seems like they looped it back onto the solenoid.

View attachment 1632952
I have read if you get rid of the pair valve and don't get it turned off in the ecu that you have to keep the solenoid plugged in to keep from throwing a code so I don't think it'd cause issues.

I have read if you get rid of the pair valve and don't get it turned off in the ecu that you have to keep the solenoid plugged in to keep from throwing a code so I don't think it'd cause issues.
Ok cool thanks. No codes being shown now. Going to hopefully take it for a ride tomorrow and hopefully nothing else pops up

Back