Cross pollination of Carnivorous plants

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Was wondering if anyone knew enough about botany and cross pollination.

I have always wanted to try to modify a carnivorous plants physical structure in order to “enhanceâ€￾ its growth abilities.

I have only seen “smallâ€￾ Venus fly traps that could only catch and eat fly’s

Would like to try and create something that cold maybe catch and eat small birds, small hamburgers etc.

What other type of carniverous plants are out there besides the Venus fly trap?

Anyone have any ideas?

Is there such thing as plant steroids? (for plants)

What works best to make these puppies grow huge!!

Anyone ever seen The little ship of horrors!! Muah ha ha!!

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091166126 -->

bump.gif

Yes the silence is almost deafening

Ok, I know I will never get a Venus fly trap big enough to catch birds, that is just a wild fantasy
smile.gif

Seriously though, would like to know what is the best way to get a plant to grow as big as it is genetically possible. And was wondering if cross pollination could provide any assistance.

I know a lot of flowers that are sold in florists shops are hybrids that were engineered by mixing different plants together.

I mean, Crossing a Venus fly trap with lets say.. a cactus, or palm tree!! Yeah baby!!

Oh in case anyone is wondering, I am on travel, no family, no motorcycle, in the middle of no where… I am B O R E D!!

I did however finally find a Venus fly trap to play with..

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091166494 -->

Yes the silence is almost deafening

Ok, I know I will never get a Venus fly trap big enough to catch birds, that is just a wild fantasy
smile.gif

Seriously though, would like to know what is the best way to get a plant to grow as big as it is genetically possible. And was wondering if cross pollination could provide any assistance.

I know a lot of flowers that are sold in florists shops are hybrids that were engineered by mixing different plants together.

I mean, Crossing a Venus fly trap with lets say.. a cactus, or palm tree!! Yeah baby!!

Oh in case anyone is wondering, I am on travel, no family, no motorcycle, in the middle of no where… I am B O R E D!!

I did however finally find a Venus fly trap to play with..
As you said cross pollinating larger similar plant species would be a step in the right direction. It would have to be an arduous scientific process of trial and observation in order to reach tangible results. Try contacting the botany departments of major universities and see what they can offer you. There are probably alot of undiscovered carnivorous plants in major rainforests around the world. The only researchers that could report their discoveries have probably be consumed by the plants themselves. Something to think about.  
biggrin.gif

doesn't Radio Shack still sell those 101 exoperiment chemistry sets?

you are talking DNS recombinations here and God won't let that happen.  no, really, he told me.  by design, some cross pollinations don't work.  one way to make them work would be to replace ALL the DNA sturctures of one type to be compatible with the other type - which basically creates a species uncompatible with itself... like replacing fat and scales on a fish with skin and hair... the water would eat thru the fish-man and kill it.  BUT then you'd have compatibility to match up and grow with the specicies you wish to combine with.  too bad the REST of the structure of the fish would die due to the rejection of trying to keep skin growing.  I know you're talking plants so that was simply an example.

BTW, ever see DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS?  Might wanna rent that movie before pursuing this any further.  You know ALL movies are based on reality...

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "my KEYBOARD is really messed up"|1091191467 -->

poster216.jpg

You run out of ideas for your Busa thrasher?! Trying to find other hobbies to fill the void? Very interesting...but I'm thinking what you're really going for here is a place to hide the bodies!
tounge.gif

You run out of ideas for your Busa thrasher?!  Trying to find other hobbies to fill the void?  Very interesting...but I'm thinking what you're really going for here is a place to hide the bodies!  
tounge.gif
Michelle -

Ok, here is the deal.

I keep riding on hwy 25 and running over squirrels. I keep feeling bad about it, but I am not going to stop riding.

Since I am here away form my motorcycle I am thinking of ways to enhance my rides.

One way is to alleviate the guilt associated with running over these poor squirrels.

I figured if I could find out a way to use the squirrels once I run over them, I would not feel as bad.

Since most animals will not eat dead things (except for vultures and such)

Picking them up and brining them home to feed to one of my carnivorous pets wont work.

But Venus Fly traps will eat anything (feed it to Mikey!! He will eat anything).

So I figured if I could make a carnivorous plant large enough to eat squirrels I can have guilt free rides and know that all the squirrels I kill will go to a good cause (waste not want not dontchyaknow).

Actually I have all kinds of Ideas for the Busa, just not at home to do any of them
sad.gif

So you were partly right Michelle, it IS to hide the bodies!!!
grim.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091197192 -->

You know, I've never hit a squirrel while riding...you must be amassing quite a "guilty conscience" for taking out the little guys at break-neck speed to try to concoct this "final solution"...

Very interesting...funny what runs through peoples' minds...you and your squirrels, Lazer and his emus and angora rabbits...me, I'd panic and then cry if I hit an animal while riding...hell, I was late to work today because I turned around to try to save a turtle in the road...I was too late...he was flattened...guess Venus Flytraps can eat retiles too...

We'll start shipping you road kill...I'll just start calling you "Seymor"
laugh.gif

little_shop_of_horrors.jpg

Ron.....you need to ride more! You're starting to worry me....is the heat in Fresno getting to you??
tounge.gif

You know, I've never hit a squirrel while riding...you must be amassing quite a "guilty conscience" for taking out the little guys at break-neck speed to try to concoct this "final solution"...

Very interesting...funny what runs through peoples' minds...you and your squirrels, Lazer and his emus and angora rabbits...me, I'd panic and then cry if I hit an animal while riding...hell, I was late to work today because I turned around to try to save a turtle in the road...I was too late...he was flattened...guess Venus Flytraps can eat retiles too...

We'll start shipping you road kill...I'll just start calling you "Seymor"
laugh.gif
Michelle -

As much as I never wish to hurt animals. If it comes down to me laying a bike over to save a squirrel or anything else not considered in the realm of human species. I am going over it.

You need to plan on doing the same thing if anything jumps out in front of you. Don’t swerve, just go straight, and if you know you are going to hit whatever is in front of you, accelerate. (providing it is not a brick wall, truck or anything else made of other than flesh and bone.)

I have hit squirrels at speeds of 170+ and the Busa doesn’t do much. All I felt was the front tire going over it, didn’t even feel the back tire.

Most animals will get out of your way, usually if you try to swerve out of the way is when you will hit them, and if you are not dead in straight when you hit something you will usually lose it.

If you are dead on straight and hit an animal, most of the time you will probably make it through it. Not without damage to the bike. But you will probably live.

Besides, I know for a fact that the squirrels are playing motorcycle chicken, I see them in my rear view giving each other high fives as they make it across the road without getting hit..

I think the pitcher plant idea is good if you want to dispose of the little rodents carcasses. However, I don't know if there would be enough to scrape up if you hit one at 170 again. The reason didn't feel the back tire hit it is probably because it was blasted into mist by the front tire. Check the radiator.

Watch out for the turkeys.

I think the pitcher plant idea is good if you want to dispose of the little rodents carcasses.  However, I don't know if there would be enough to scrape up if you hit one at 170 again.  The reason didn't feel the back tire hit it is probably because it was blasted into mist by the front tire.  Check the radiator.

Watch out for the turkeys.
LOL - never thought of that. I guess at 170 when I hit the thing it could have blasted it, if nothing else maybe seperated it so the back tire didnt run over anything..

Yeah I was looking at the picture plants, they do like like they can get failry big, I think one of the sites said they can get between 10 to 12 inches across, that would be big enough to drop a rodent into..

I have a Venus fly trap on order, it should be in next week, after I get that I might order one of the larger picture plants..

My kids are going to love these things...
biggrin.gif

Back