considering 41t or 42t sprocket...?

sweet im getting the hang of it. so to bring a 120 link chain down to 112 you have to remove 4 side-plates, since one sideplate has two links.

sweet im getting the hang of it. so to bring a 120 link chain down to 112 you have to remove 4 side-plates, since one sideplate has two links.

Yes, you can use the stock chain to measure it...stock length works for a 17/42 or 17/43 set up. Will not work for a 17/44.

X-ring is the evolution of the o-ring or the next generation of the o-ring. ek tensile strength is stronger then RK chains and better quality.

so, anyone wanna give me a headsup about the diff types of o-ring and x-ring chains. which is better
?:beerchug:

X-ring is the evolution of the o-ring or the next generation of the o-ring. ek tensile strength is stronger then RK chains and better quality.

+1 one the X ring...and if you haven't bought you're parts yet. Charles (StreetnTrack) is a good guy to do business with...plus!! he's a board sponsor :thumbsup:

when you buy a chain, it comes with 2 emplty link holes for the master link right? if ek chains are better why are the rk's soo much more expensive.

Last edited:
when you buy a chain, it comes with 2 emplty link holes for the master link right? if ek chains are better why are the rk's soo much more expensive.

Are you looking at their "racing series"...most expensive, doesn't mean it's the best for a street bike.

yea i think the rk's were racing, it came out to like 280CAD$ but i didnt end up getting it.

ok back to the chain eheh you guys must hate me, but since your so great i'll know you'll help me out:thumbsup: when cutting the 120 to a 112, you take the brand new chain out of the box and it has to hole where the mast link is connected, do these two empty holes without pins(links) count as a link to count when you are cutting. Why do people call them pins instead of links???????????

Why do people call them pins instead of links???????????

A stock chain has 112 links...a "master link" has two pins. If you count all the side plates on you're stock chain there will be 56 side plates, with two pins or (links) each. 56 x 2 = 112 links (pins)

You need 112 links (pins) including the "master link"...

Does your bike have the stock chain with the blue link on it ???

If so just grind off the head of one of the links on the blue master link...use your press and push out that link. Then pull out the chain and place it on a work bench, put the new chain next to the old one and make the new one the same length as the old one...MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE NEW MASTER LINK in the overall measurement.

You can only make it a even # of links 112, 114, 116 etc etc...if you cut it too short...you're screwed...if you're too long, you can always make another cut.

ahh yes. ok thanks alot for bearing with me busa. yes my chain does have blue master link. i'll just grind a pin off the blue sideplate, punch it out, then lay it on a table, lay the new chain next to it and put my master link from my new chain as the last link on the table above my new chain so i be sure to measure it. in short terms. if i am cutting a 120link to a 112, all i have to do it cut 4 sideplates off!! done, just 4 sideplates and i cant go wrong.

ahh yes. ok thanks alot for bearing with me busa. yes my chain does have blue master link. i'll just grind a pin off the blue sideplate, punch it out, then lay it on a table, lay the new chain next to it and put my master link from my new chain as the last link on the table above my new chain so i be sure to measure it. in short terms. if i am cutting a 120link to a 112, all i have to do it cut 4 sideplates off!! done, just 4 sideplates and i cant go wrong.

With them laying side by side, it's a simple job to get the right length :thumbsup:

yea i figured that much:laugh:
when cutting a chain, you cant just grind down one pin on a sideplate, it has to be both of the pins on that side plate. bottom line, always cut an EVEN number of existing pins, even though the chain come with two empty rollers for the master link pins....correct sir?
:bowdown:

when cutting a chain, you cant just grind down one pin on a sideplate, it has to be both of the pins on that side plate. bottom line, always cut an EVEN number of existing pins, even though the chain come with two empty rollers for the master link pins....correct sir?

Correct...measure twice, cut once :thumbsup:

what is the best gearing for drag racing with stock motor? 16/42? i have 16/40 now and would like a little more without trying to carry the front tire harder.i'm only 150lbs

We also carry pre cut chains if you don't want to cut one yourself.

No problem, just remember if you go with a 43 tooth sprocket your wheel will be pushed all the way up in your swingarm. If you want it further back then don't cut off 4 links maybe just 2.

only 2 links? i got a 120 link chain and arent i supposed to bring it down to 112 by cutting 8 links off. cutting 2 off would leave me at 118links, no? is it bad to have a shorter wheel base? i want to keep the same length from wheel to wheel i had with my stock chain so how many links should i cut off for this? thanks street.

Back