considering 41t or 42t sprocket...?

how much kms on average would an alum vortex last?

by the way, whats a better chain, EK or RK, I noticed there are x-ring, o-ring and different types of 'ring' chains which is the best and is there really a difference. I learn so much from you guys:):). 120 link is ok for a 17/43 setup right? thanks!!

Last edited:
StreetNTrack is right... the Aluminum rear is going to be an ongoing cost.. I used one up in about 6K.. never again..

I also run a 43 in the back now and it does leave me feeling like I need an up shift on the highway.. but the power wheelie in second gear sort of makes up for it. :)

I have been doing less "long haul" riding but if I do? I will swap the front sprocket out for an 18 so I can get the RPM's down a bit (my rear sprocket is a "stealth" tri metal now)

If you go with the EK ZZZ chain, Vortex will tell you their sprocket will not last with it..

43t rear as well.

Cat5RR_red_L.jpg

on the vortex website they have the rk gold 530 racing chain looks sweet. Im sure that will go well with the cat5 since thats the only chain they sell with their sprocket. yea i dont like the feeling of a needed upshift biscuit it bothers me. i might just do a 42t in the rear. wouldnt an 18/43 gearing setup be the same as 17/42 almost.

so, anyone wanna give me a headsup about the diff types of o-ring and x-ring chains. which is better
?:beerchug:

how much kms on average would an alum vortex last?

by the way, whats a better chain, EK or RK, I noticed there are x-ring, o-ring and different types of 'ring' chains which is the best and is there really a difference. I learn so much from you guys:):). 120 link is ok for a 17/43 setup right? thanks!!

120 link will do for 17/43...needs to be 112 links :thumbsup:

on the vortex website they have the rk gold 530 racing chain looks sweet. Im sure that will go well with the cat5 since thats the only chain they sell with their sprocket. yea i dont like the feeling of a needed upshift biscuit it bothers me. i might just do a 42t in the rear. wouldnt an 18/43 gearing setup be the same as 17/42 almost.

18/43 is almost the same as 17/40 :banghead:

Go with the 17/43...at 120 kph you are only turning 301 rpm's more than the stock 17/40 set up.

wait, so 530x120 mean 530 width by 120 chain lnks. why does it need to be 112 links? will 120 links do?

wait, so 530x120 mean 530 width by 120 chain lnks. why does it need to be 112 links? will 120 links do?

Stock chain length for a Busa is...

Gen1 1999-2007....112 links
Gen2 2008- ....114 links

After market chains mostly come in 120 or 150 links, they need to be cut to fit :beerchug:

oh alright. tmm im going to pick up a 530x120 and its a 120 link. so i'll need to cut off 8 links right? whats the best way to cut off the links?

or do i cut off 9 links off the 120 and when i put the new master link on it will come out to 112?

or do i cut off 9 links off the 120 and when i put the new master link on it will come out to 112?

On your old chain you grind the head off one of the rivets, the you use the chain tool to press out the pin. You can use the old chain to measure the correct length, and then on the new chain you do the same thing (grind the head of the pin, press it out) connect the new chain with the master link provided with the chain :beerchug:

i have the rk tool kit a very good quality one. but im a little confused, do you cut off 8 or 9 links... im thinking of connecting hte master link here and its throwing me off a little??? cuz the side plates are inbetween the actaul links, so the question is how many side plates do i cut?

Last edited:
i have the rk tool kit a very good quality one. but im a little confused, do you cut off 8 or 9 links... im thinking of connecting hte master link here and its throwing me off a little???

Each pin is one link...a master link contains two pins. On the stock chain the master link is blue...55 gold side plates and one blue one = 56 side plates total = 112 link pins

i have the rk tool kit a very good quality one. but im a little confused, do you cut off 8 or 9 links... im thinking of connecting hte master link here and its throwing me off a little??? cuz the side plates are inbetween the actaul links, so the question is how many side plates do i cut?

4 side plates are not used of the 120 link chain

Back