Come on guys!

Sorry guys, but I do agree that it probably shouldn't be his first bike. My argument was the comment that everyone dumps their first bike, I ride with guys that have been riding for 15 or 20 years easy. They still dump their bike, but a majority of that time, they'll tell you that they were doing something that they knew better.

First off, if you want tips and tricks, do a search on the board for whatever you want. lots of good stuff has been posted and archived.

Second, don't get a Busa as your first bike. I don't know anyone who hasn't dumped there first bike, just the nature of the beast. Go get a used bike of your style and liking, learn how to work on it, learn how to repair it when you dump it, go have fun with it, don't be afraid to experiment.

The after you have some time under you belt, then think about upgrading to a new bike, be it a Busa or whatever..

Your first bike you will dump, count on it. now decide if you want to dump a band new bike or an older bike?

There is a girl that I see in my job on occasion, she has a 600 I think. We were talking one day and she nonchalantly says "Yeah, I have dropped it 5 times since last month" I am like wow, but she knew what she was doing. She told me she bought the bike to learn on, she drops it, she fixes it, she said her goal was to get good enough on it to by a GSXR within a year.

I was like. cool, at least she has a plan and is realistic about things.

Good luck
Nothing personally dude, but with an attitude like that, no one would ever ride a bike.  You want to meet someone who hasn't dumped their first bike?  Come down here.  After I say this, I'll probably wreck on my next ride, BUT.....I did NOT dump my first bike (Suzuki Marauder), or my second bike (Gixxer 600), or my current bike (Hayabusa).  Oh yeah, don't forget the junk I learned to ride on.  I do believe in the two types of riders, and I know one day my time will come.  My wife hasn't ever wrecked a bike either, she rides the 600 now, and has been riding for years.  It's all in how you ride, and how much respect you have for the bike.   OK... I'll shut up now.

beerchug.gif
Hyyaqt –

It is not an attitude, it is plain, black and white statistics.

If you have never dumped your bike, good on you, if your wife has never dumped her bike., good on her.

However, and please don’t take this wrong, but if you have had three bikes and never dumped any of them once, you aren’t pushing yourself. And you are not pushing the limits.

That is cool, I am not telling you to change your riding style, but I will tell you from my living on this planet for 42 years, if you push the envelope, you are going to tear it once in awhile.

There is no way you can push it all the time, live life on the edge and not have your luck run out on occasions.

The wrecks I have had had nothing to do with me being a bad rider, they had to do with my thinking I was a better rider than I was, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or just the wrong combinations of events happening. Crap I forget who it was, but someone just recently had a box fall of a truck and he jumped it with his Busa.

There were two people in the last few months that hit dears, one guy got wracked, the other guy sliced through it..

poop happens, and the nature of the beast is, the less time you have in the saddle, the more apt you are to make a bad decision at a critical moment.

Now, from a statistical view point, check with insurance company’s, check with your local motorcycle dealer and ask them about how many people they have sold bikes to that have wrecked it within the first few months.

The dealership I bought my Busa from told me a guy had bought a Busa about 6 months earlier, a month after he bought it, he had his fiancé on the back, popped a wheelie, lost it and and killed her, he lived, she died.

The dealership that I bought my Busa form has had so many people buy bikes and wreck them in the first 6 months that they now are careful what they sell to whom. They for the most part will not sell a Busa to someone that they don’t think has any experience, I.E. a new rider. They don’t need the money that bad to kill someone. That is their thoughts, my sales person told me that

And I don’t agree with your statement with "an attitude like that no one would ever ride a bike". I figure sometime or another I will wreck, that is why I dress the way I do.

Ask anyone that has seen my gear, or has seen me ride. I dress like I am going to wreck, and I ride like I never will wreck.. somewhere something has got to give.

Danger is a part of life, people do things all the time that has a great potential to go wrong and death being the ultimate price.

We are all going to die someday, should we stop living? Heck no, live as you want, at least you have the chance of choosing when and how you die.

Seriously, if you and your wife have never wrecked, that is awesome, and maybe you are both kick ass riders and just are way better than me or anyone else, and if that is the case, fricken awesome, and I am not being a smart ass, I don’t know you so I will not attempt to make any comments about your riding abilities, because I just don’t know.

But I will restate what I said earlier, not trying to be a jerk or anything, but if you are riding the hell out of the bike and pushing it to the limits, its mind boggling that you have never wrecked.

But not everyone rides that way, nor should they ride that way. And if someone doesnt ride that way who cares, people ride how they want to ride.

Now, don’t get in any fricken accidents now because then I will feel like crap, go rub a rabbits foot or something  
biggrin.gif

And if I lived close, it would be a pleasure to ride with you.. but I kind of live far away  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091375298 -->

Well, well, well...it seems that this has turned into quite a lively discussion...one point to make here...It is definitely not a matter of what you ride or how you ride(although these factors do play a significant role) but first and foremost it involves accepting the inherent risk associated with motorcycling, determining how much risk you are willing
to assume and proceeding accordingly...
Ride safe...

Well, well, well...it seems that this has turned into quite a lively discussion...one point to make here...It is definitely  not a matter of what you ride or how you ride(although these factors do play a significant role) but first and foremost it involves accepting the inherent risk associated with motorcycling, determining how much risk you are willing
to assume and proceeding accordingly...
Ride safe...
Short sweet and to the point.. well said
beerchug.gif

Wish I could learn how to cut my novels down to three or four lines of code.. uh I mean text
biggrin.gif

1) When you're tired from a long ride stop and take a break. This will keep you physically and mentally sharp.

2) When you ride into an area that has just been rained on, but you don't know how hard or how long it rained ... put your foot down and check the road surface just in case it only rained enough to get the oil on the road nice and slippery.

Yeah ... personal experience ... I got lucky and didn't crash. I won't forget these again!

On paved roads, ride either slightly left or slightly right of the center of the lane. That dark spot in the center of the lane is oil, grease, anti-freeze, and God only knows what else. It offers poor traction, especially when freshly wet.

This was mentioned earlier but I think it is important enough to repeat: If you find yourself entering a curve too fast (already leaned over), don't panic and don't jump on the brakes... make yourself LEAN more. The rounded tires on sportbikes will lean r-e-a-l-l-y far. In the worst scenario, leaning too far will result in a low-side crash which is a much better event than a high-side crash. Yes, it is possible to brake while leaning through a turn but it is a dangerous habit for a new rider to develop because it tends to encourage more braking rather than more lean. Improper braking while leaned over can bite hard with a high-side crash. Set up each curve by braking before entering it. Then, apply a little gas and lean into the curve. It is better to be on the gas, at least slightly, when leaned over than to coast through a turn. The bike will be more stable when the rear wheel is "pushing" and the throttle can help make fine mid-turn corrections. And, as also mentioned previously, focus on WHERE you intend to go. Not on the road a few feet ahead of you, nor on the car or bike a few feet ahead of you. It is okay to glance quickly at the immediate front for sand, oil, obstacles, etc. but keep your focus on where you want to go and the bike WILL miraculously go there! One way to check the amount of lean you are using is to look at your rear tire. So-called "Chicken Stripes" will tell you if you are near the tire's lean limit (see arrows in the pic). If they are an inch or more wide, you have a lot of lean angle remaining that you are not using. If they are very narrow (or non-existant), you are near (or at) your lean limits.

Go e-a-s-y at first on wet roads. Motorcycles, like cars, will hydroplane--wherein the tires are riding on top of the water rather than cutting through it to the pavement. It is obviously dangerous when your tires are not in contact with the road. If you feel like you are floating, you probably are. Slow down and/or make very gentle changes in speed. {I once rode 600 miles in the month of January from Nashville to Kansas City. About 200 of those miles were on iced-over roads. It was the most tedious thing I have ever done. Solid ice allows approximately zero lean angle. Most of the time I was holding my breath to keep from upsetting the bike's balance. Talk about having to plan ahead to slow down--it was wholly idiotic and like walking a tightwire. The only thing that kept me upright was abject terror, frequent coffee stops, years of experience, and the gyro effect of the wheels turning.}

A few years back, I made a simple 1" X 2" aluminum plate that I had engraved, polished, and mounted on the handlebars of several of my bikes. It read "THINK".

There's much more but you'll probably agree that I've raved enough. Good luck!  
smile.gif

Read something here, about cops on motorcycles I seen a few dump their bikes, NO one is Immuned to dropping their bike. anothing thing too, if your loosing your bike let it go. DO NOT HOLD ONTO it you can repair your Bike, but if you hold onto it and get killed thats it... Also watch out for cars were the IDIOTS are on cell phones, they usually do not know were their at or if their comming or going, the phone is their world behind the wheel.

One more thing here in Fla in the Daytona Area a biker servived an 85 foot fall off seabreeze bridge in Daytona, only cause boaters were in the water. Watch who is in front of you so you got plenty of time to break, as well as watch the vehicle behind you as well so if they are not able to stop you can move up or move around and protect yourself.

Dumbed my bike(not Busa) when some idiot decidd to come out of the side road 15 feet in front of me while I was doing 35, had to dump the bike no way I could steer around it. bike missed the car, idiot told me I should have been watching and all. Anyone like that has right of way even if you are the one who has right of way, idiots do pull out thinking they own the road. Watch out for them most of all.

Not assuming anything, but most 18 y/olds have many more distractions that would be challenging to operating a Busa. The power alone is intoxicating. The coolness factor is included...and there are other things that matter to most testosterone driven late adolescents that factor into the equation. No slam on you, but for MOST this is true. Even us old men find ourselves in places on our Busas we would rather not be, but saddle time helps us navigate our way out of the situation ...or simply knowing how to crash may be the answer.
If you do get the bike, be careful. It is all relative to a twist of the wrist; be careful how you twist.

<!--EDIT|hmfbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091802451 -->

Not assuming anything, but most 18 y/olds have many more distractions that would be challenging to operating a Busa. The power alone is intoxicating. The coolness factor is included...and there are other things that matter to most testosterone driven late adolescents that factor into the equation. No slam on you, but for MOST this is true. Even us old men find ourselves in places on our Busas we would rather not be, but saddle time helps us navigate our way out of the situation ...or simply knowing how to crash may be the answer.
If you do get the bike, be careful. It is all relative to a twist of the wrist; be careful how you twist.
Exactly dead on about the twisting...

Take time to enjoy the bike and get use to it, ease into it!!! your have plenty of time... Take it easy till you are use to it and know it well....

i've been with SAM advanced for nearly a yr now and they have shown me how to take corners with speed,and how to tackle them safely,dont look at the front of ya bike,look ahead all the time and she will follow.when going round a corner with speed,if both sides of the curbs meet then u kno its gonna be a tight corner,if they dont then they are sweeping corners(these ones are ok).
all you gotta remember is it's all in the eyes transfer it to the brain.sounds kinda silly i kno,but its true.
counter steering is anouther thing i use at speeds,it throws you in corners faster.what this means is,if you got a right hand corner turn your bars about 5mm to the left and you will find the bike will drop into corners without fighting to get it down.(be carefull if never done before tho).
if ya need any tips just ask,we are all here to help.(safe riding matey):D

Learning to ride a motorcycle on the street is a pretty tough prospect--making a mistake and going down on asphault is going to hurt! If there is any way to do it, practise first on a dirt bike in the dirt. This will allow you to focus on riding skills (no cars to contend with), on developing balance and a feel for various terrain and surfaces, and will reduce the penalties for your mistakes
wow.gif

Otherwise, what others have already said: be aware of everything around you and always assume (be ready for) the worst!

Oh, and one other thing: If you know you are going to wreck, don't let your body take a direct hit on anything. Roll, slide, bounce, fly through the air...no direct hits allowed!

Something someone posted awhile back...pretend you're invisible to all other traffic...in some instances you are because they really don't see you...pretending that no one sees you is good advice...
Ride safe...

If you want advise. Then get ready for the real deal.........

You are invisible on a motorcycle. They don't look for you,and don't see you.

Buying a Hayabusa as your first ride is like saying you are going to drive in the indy for your first car ride.

Grab a brain,and think. One of the main reasons insurance is so high,as mentioned is inexperienced riders crashing. You will have no idea how to handle that much power. It isn't forgiving like a car that will remain upright. You screw up for a second,and you are part of the pavement.

If you don't believe all this..........Check the insurance stats on death,and injury to motorcyclists. Most are between 16,and 24.

Now you want to start with the Hayabusa? Go buy a 500$ Bike. Ride the poop out of it. If you crash,and survive. You will learn. Once you have respect for any bike...........Then think about the Hayabusa.

tips:

1. WEAR PROTECTIIVE GEAR

2. find nice twisties that stretch for at least 5 miles

3. define two points

4. start the watch

5. hold on for dear life

6. stop the watch

7. repeat until nirvana occurs

Now-- thrasherfox-- I agree 100% with everything you said. Anyone who doesn't think they're going to hit the pavement sometime is just foolish-- I'm a fan of protective gear via the school of hard knocks.

But the one question I have is how the heck have you avoided getting a ticket all these years?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

But (Or maybe Butt)Watch That Passenger

In 9 percent of the accidents where a passenger was being carried, the passenger shifted his or her weight and thereby contributed to the accident.

hyyqt-- you never dumped a bike?

In my formative riding years (9yo-15yo), I was riding/racing MX. I only crashed once only the good days-- bad days... ouch.

Putting around is nice for residental areas/congested, but one learns more by learning where their limits are and riding up to those limits if not exceeded them slightly. This is HARD to do on the busa give the massive power, as this baby can run and run fast. I think I may have to go to the track or a superbike school to play sometime.

in fact, tip #

8. Sign up (and attend) for a superbike school program

hyyqt-- you never dumped a bike?

In my formative riding years (9yo-15yo), I was riding/racing MX. I only crashed once only the good days-- bad days... ouch.

Putting around is nice for residental areas/congested, but one learns more by learning where their limits are and riding up to those limits if not exceeded them slightly. This is HARD to do on the busa give the massive power, as this baby can run and run fast. I think I may have to go to the track or a superbike school to play sometime.

in fact, tip #

8. Sign up (and attend) for a superbike school program
Nope.....not saying that I haven't come DAMN close many times, but I have seemed to have luck and some thinking on my side.

Back