Come on guys!

mackhomie

Registered
Im really surprised there's nothing posted here. Any of you experienced riders have any good tips that may save someone from an accident? What to look for in traffic, safest way to make a pass, etc. Im 18 in a few months and plan on getting a Busa as my first bike (I should know better than to say this). Im confident I can ride it safely (start slow, obviously) but having a few good tips under my belt couldn't hurt. Anyone?

Tip #1 - No 'Busa for you! (I'm the 'Busa Nazi)
Tip #2 - Take an MSF course. You'll learn more than you might think, even as an experienced rider (I've known riders that had 10 years of experience in the dirt that took the couse at 18 and came away impressed).
Tip #3 - Look where you want to go. Don't fixate on the thing you want to avoid hitting, look at the best path around it.
Tip #4 - Always know whats around you, and always have an "exit" plan in case the S**T goes down.
Tip #5 - Clean you bike often. It will help you find little problems before they become big ones
Tip #6 - Stay away from SUV's and anyone over the age of 60 (sorry older members, but it's a generalization that has a basis in fact).
Tip #7 - Because the guy/gal in front of you can, doesn't mean you can. And because you can doesn't mean the guy/gal behind you can. Be aware of where the riders directly in front and behind you are.
Tip #8 - If it is a gal behind you... dude, get me her number! There is NOTHING sexier than a female rider.

Just kidding about the "No 'busa for you!" comment. Seriously, it's not a good idea for an inexperienced rider, but I don't know what your experience level is. You only go as fast as your right hand propels you, and you control your right hand. It just felt good to say "No 'Busa for you!"

Here is Kevin's tip of the day.

If you are coming into a turn too quickly and you just know that if you lean you'll lose it, but if you don't lean you'll hit the ditch/guardrail/bluff/other rider, LEAN.

I learned that one up on the dragon, I just knew I had too much speed and the turn came up quickly (this was not on my busa) I chose lean and made it. It was also raining that day. I don't think that was one of my brightest moves, riding the dragon in the rain on an '83 gs1100.
wow.gif

Good advice Kevin.  The bike ususally has more left in it than you think.  Even a bike like the Hayabusa's great, great, great grandfather, the GS1100.

<!--EDIT|epicrisis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090882872 -->

Yeah, it's an old one, even though the busa has so much more power, I've never lost traction like I did on the GS. The GS does have a lot of power for that thin little tire on the back of it.

It's for sale, any takers?
wink.gif

First off, if you want tips and tricks, do a search on the board for whatever you want. lots of good stuff has been posted and archived.

Second, don't get a Busa as your first bike. I don't know anyone who hasn't dumped there first bike, just the nature of the beast. Go get a used bike of your style and liking, learn how to work on it, learn how to repair it when you dump it, go have fun with it, don't be afraid to experiment.

The after you have some time under you belt, then think about upgrading to a new bike, be it a Busa or whatever..

Your first bike you will dump, count on it. now decide if you want to dump a band new bike or an older bike?

There is a girl that I see in my job on occasion, she has a 600 I think. We were talking one day and she nonchalantly says "Yeah, I have dropped it 5 times since last month" I am like wow, but she knew what she was doing. She told me she bought the bike to learn on, she drops it, she fixes it, she said her goal was to get good enough on it to by a GSXR within a year.

I was like. cool, at least she has a plan and is realistic about things.

Good luck

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090897177 -->

I wouldn't say the power on the 'Busa is the biggest problem for a first bike, but mainly the long wheel base and 550 pounds wet will make it very easy for you to drop it in parking lots.

When you get your first bike watch out for the sidestand collapsing, always make sure you kick it forward before you set it down. I can't count how many people have had their bikes fall over because the sidestand wasn't fully locked. Also make sure in low speeds you don't grab too much front brake with the wheel turned or you might get thrown off, this happens to a lot of people too.

Tip #1 - No 'Busa for you! (I'm the 'Busa Nazi)
Tip #2 - Take an MSF course.  You'll learn more than you might think, even as an experienced rider (I've known riders that had 10 years of experience in the dirt that took the couse at 18 and came away impressed).
Tip #3 - Look where you want to go.  Don't fixate on the thing you want to avoid hitting, look at the best path around it.
Tip #4 - Always know whats around you, and always have an "exit" plan in case the S**T goes down.
Tip #5 - Clean you bike often.  It will help you find little problems before they become big ones
Tip #6 - Stay away from SUV's and anyone over the age of 60 (sorry older members, but it's a generalization that has a basis in fact).
Tip #7 - Because the guy/gal in front of you can, doesn't mean you can.  And because you can doesn't mean the guy/gal behind you can.  Be aware of where the riders directly in front and behind you are.
Tip #8 - If it is a gal behind you... dude, get me her number!  There is NOTHING sexier than a female rider.
Thanks for the advice guys- there are some things I will remember.

I plan on taking an safety course. The tip of cleaning the bike often to check for problems was also a good one. If I get a bike though it is definitely going to be a Hayabusa even if I may dump it once or twice. I've done my research and paying off any motorcycle at this point is going to require me to bust my ass so Im going to go for what I really want which is the hayabusa. My legs are fairly strong from weights so Im not too worried about a bunch of low speed tips since im new to motorcycles but im definitely going to be cautious for a while. Also- thank you epicrisis for your followup on your first comment. (Ive already decided which bike I am going to get, just trying to know as much as I can before I get out there).

Ok, if you didnt like my advice about not getting a Busa, thats cool. However one more thing.

Before you sign the paper work and commit yourself to buying a Busa, go check out how much insurance is going to cost you. I mean, check with YOUR insurance compnay and ask them to give you a quote on how much insurance is going to run you for a Busa.

I am 42 years old and have been riding motorcycles for over 21 years, no tickets and have been through two military motorcycle drving courses that are not for the week of heart. and my insurance runs me almost $900.00 per year.

I put almost 2000.00 down for my new Busa and I have a good interest rate and my bike payments are $225.00 per month, my insurances runs me $90.00 per month I pay I think 10 months out of the year for insurance then 2 months off.

So with a kick ass driving record, motorcycle safety courses, a good deal on a Busa ($9800.00 new) $2000.00 down my monthly investment for the Busa is $315.00 per month.

Now that does not include tires every 4000 miles, the regualr maintenance schedule, and then to top it off, there is a Busa clause, that every Busa owner, within 1 week of owning said Busa, will be infected with the Mod Bug.

This Virus take control of the Busa Owner and forces it to make as many mods as possible, regardless of cost.

So, my last bit of advice is check out the insurance, right down on paper how much everthing will cost you on a monthly basis, and if you are still good to go, go for it.. And welcome to the addiction, and ride safe..

LMAO!!! That virus is spread through this website! Mine was pretty stock until I got on here. Another good point. I have 3 tickets (2 at ~15 over and one at 8 over the limit), I am 33 and I have been to a few MSF courses, and I pay $1200 or so a year. It's almost worth the hastle to switch insurance carriers to State Farm (you have to have a auto to insure a motorcycle as well, I think), but they are SOOO much cheaper than the other out there.:O

Thanks thrasher, I will consider the cost aspect of it again. If it as attainable, though, I will likely go for it.

And also, your bike good time rules man- seriously. I love that damn thing. You'd better sleep with one eye open
smile.gif

Thx again

-Mack

FOUR SIMPLE THOUGHTS FOR GOOD/SAFE BIKE HANDLING:

Clutch, Throttle, Brake, Look

Master these four and you'll have no problems...slow or fast. Too complicated to discuss in detail here. Take the course, read books, talk to experienced riders (motor cops are good people to demonstrate advanced skills) and practice practice practice.

I've been riding 20+ years, have taken motorcycle safety courses(beginner and experienced) and put in a fair amount of time in the saddle(my last mount, '97 ZX-11 was retired at 50,000 miles)...the one thing that I did relative to safety and
improving my riding experience, in addition to many of the things already mentioned here, was to add blind spot mirrors.
Although they may not do much to add to the aesthetics of the situation, I believe they improve the comfort level while
riding. They do not eliminate the need to look back but I think it's helpful to know at all times who is where and frankly and do wonder why I don't see more motorcyclists utilize them...
probably the most cost-effective "mod" you'll ever do!!
Just my .02 cents...
Ride safe...

TIP NUMKBER 1818 watch the guy or gal that tosses a burning Cigarette
out the window at you. NOT BECAUSE OF BAD MANNERS...IT ELLS YOU THEY DO NOT EVEN KNOW YOU ARE THERE AND MOST LIKELY WILL CUT IN YOUR LANE.

First off, if you want tips and tricks, do a search on the board for whatever you want. lots of good stuff has been posted and archived.

Second, don't get a Busa as your first bike. I don't know anyone who hasn't dumped there first bike, just the nature of the beast. Go get a used bike of your style and liking, learn how to work on it, learn how to repair it when you dump it, go have fun with it, don't be afraid to experiment.

The after you have some time under you belt, then think about upgrading to a new bike, be it a Busa or whatever..

Your first bike you will dump, count on it. now decide if you want to dump a band new bike or an older bike?

There is a girl that I see in my job on occasion, she has a 600 I think. We were talking one day and she nonchalantly says "Yeah, I have dropped it 5 times since last month" I am like wow, but she knew what she was doing. She told me she bought the bike to learn on, she drops it, she fixes it, she said her goal was to get good enough on it to by a GSXR within a year.

I was like. cool, at least she has a plan and is realistic about things.

Good luck
Nothing personally dude, but with an attitude like that, no one would ever ride a bike. You want to meet someone who hasn't dumped their first bike? Come down here. After I say this, I'll probably wreck on my next ride, BUT.....I did NOT dump my first bike (Suzuki Marauder), or my second bike (Gixxer 600), or my current bike (Hayabusa). Oh yeah, don't forget the junk I learned to ride on. I do believe in the two types of riders, and I know one day my time will come. My wife hasn't ever wrecked a bike either, she rides the 600 now, and has been riding for years. It's all in how you ride, and how much respect you have for the bike. OK... I'll shut up now.

beerchug.gif

I don't think thrasherfox has an "attitude" by any means. I think he is trying to convey a universal truth by saying that the VAST majority of people dump thier first bike within a few months of owning it. Riding a motorcycle takes a different skill set that other things, and it's something that, like riding a bike (pedal) takes time to master, or even get used to.

Think of the first thing you rode over that made you inadvertantly give the bike more gas than it needed (like a well hidden sped bump). A bike like a marauder would somewhat gently speed up for a brief second until you figured out what had happened, but a beginning rider having that first experience with a Hayabusa, especially if they are already at more than 4-5K rpm range, would get thrown off the bike. Thats the kind of lesson best NOT learned on a Hayabusa (or R1, GSXR1000 etc).

Oh, and be sure to take an MSF course. Car drivers should do that, give 'em more respect for the motorcyclists out there. Help control the pet popullation, please spay and nueter(sp) your cat. Don't be a squid. And finially, where the hell is Waldo? I think he took the "beef" that little old lady is missing.

Back