Come on guys!

A couple of points.. first I would like to thank Dr thrasherfox for diagnosing the "busa virus" I have wondered what the hell was wrong with me,I can sleep easy now and no I have no desire for a cure.
Secondly ,and a more serious point, our young would be busa owner states in one of his replies that he is cool with the slow stuff and would take it REAL carefull for a time.....HA!!..get real bro..as it has been stated by many members(and I think it is the best description) the power of the mothership IS intoxicating and with the best will in the world sooner or later the drug is gonna get ya and before you know it your right hand is dialing in warp speed...I would love you to be a busa owner bro ..a live busa owner..take some advice ...prepare for the beast on some older hack bike and live to enjoy it:cool:

New riders and first bikes... Alot of you posted..execellent advice...Invisible is one of the real good ones. But imagine,
no other traffic out there and being a newbie....on a Busa...
Still pretty dangerous....One of my first MC rides came on a 175 Honda Twin..WooHoo is screamed to myself OMG i'm going 45 mph....Even today with "Lot's" of miles under my belt.
At 53 i still must resist the urge...accelleration and speed are so addicting ...320 miles yesterday..did i go fast a few times??
Major Doh'...... Busa as a first bike??? If so you will have to be one of the most level headed people on earth....And who might that be---Not me...but cautious in a strange way....
Pick your spots--to accellerate, to go fast...or corner fast..
and these places you do this should not be on a road you have not be on before.....Motorcycling is dangerous....With some luck and lot's of skill...I -we may reach retirement...without major bodily harm.

To Mackhomie,

You're the same age as my oldest son and your insistence on buying a Busa as your first motorcycle indicates that you are also as STUPID as he is.

Have you ever ridden one? I've had mine since March, having traded in a Harley Sportster 1200S for it, that I had ridden for 5 years and 26,000 miles. I'm just now getting comfortable on it, and feeling that I can control it rather than it controlling me. The Busa is heavy and top heavy, and easy to drop at low or no speed. When mine started to go over, the low bars and high center of gravity prevented me from pulling it back up. I pulled every muscle between my ankle and groin lowering it to the street. But that's a low cost risk.

The torque took me quite a while to master at low speeds, like 90 degree right turns from stop signs. The bike wants to GO, so a little too much on the throttle can throw you wide.........into oncoming traffic and into your teenage funeral.

The speed capabilities of the Busa are intoxicating. In the hands of an inexperienced pilot you could create fatal problems for yourself. The bike is way too much for a first purchase.

Have you ever heard of Thurman Munson? I'll bet you haven't because he's been completely dead for about 25 years. How did he die you ask? Welllllllllll, Thurman was the starting catcher and captain of the New York Yankees, and wanted to learn to fly during the 1980 off-season. With his big bucks he was able to buy his own plane after he got his license, so did he buy a single engine Cessna as his first? NOOOOOOOOO, he bought a Lear Jet, which he was unable to handle and fatally crashed while practicing touch and go's in Ohio.

So start with a smaller bike, not even a faired sportbike, ride it for at least 10,000 miles, and trade it in on the Busa later. And OH, the insurance is going to break you. I pay $981/year for the Busa, up from $170/year for the Harley.

can I go off suject just for a second,I'm curious as to the insurance costs in the states compared to dear old blighty...I,m 48..been riding since I was a feotus..full no no claims bonus..(dont know if you have that in the states)..and it costs me around £450..(bout $750) to insure my 'busa and my BMW k100 rs..fully comprehensive ..how does that compare with over there

I dont mean to be a party poop but I would have thought falling out of the sky,be it in a cessna or a lear jet ,would be fairly detrimental to your health:)

WARNING: I'm sitting at home eating pain pills for a nerve disorder, so if this is a bit disjointed ...
Busabad,
I totally agree with you about assuming you are invisible. This is the best advice anyone who uses a public road can get, no matter what kind of vehicle one is operating. I drive an 18-wheeler for a living, and when people manage not to see a 75 ft long 13 ft high truck, you have to assume there is no way they are going to see you and your bike.
One thing I wanted to add to the discussion:
Ride prepared, and I don't mean just proper protective gear. Be ready to dodge, stop, or accelerate at all times. Ever seen the way an off road racer rides? They stay in "attack" position almost all the time. Body centered, weight forward, two fingers on the clutch and brake levers, and RELAXED. This is because anything can happen at anytime and it takes time to move. If you're already in position you eliminate the time it takes to move your fingers from the grip to the brake lever or slide forward to weight the front tire so you can turn fast enough to avoid the car/deer/alien spacecraft that just ran out in front of you.
Since I mostly lurk and ya'll don't know me, here's a little background:
I've been riding 35 yrs, haven't been without a bike since I was 6. Don't bother doing the math, I already know I'm getting old!
I'm an ex-racer, mostly hare scrambles but some motocross and enduros.
I'm a second generation professional driver. I drive something around 100,000 miles per year. Counting everything I've driven over 2,000,000 miles with no accidents or tickets. That doesn't mean I know it all or am perfect. As far as accidents go I've been lucky more times than I want to count, as far as tickets and bikes it's a case of there's a time and place you can fly and some you can't. Having a bike that can outrun many small aircraft (state trooper helicopters) doesn't hurt either.
I currently have 3 bikes, a 99 KX250, a 1979 Yamaha XS eleven I'm sloooowly restoring, and an 02 busa.

Have a great day, and when (not if) you crash I hope it's one you can brag about later!

TIP NUMKBER 1818 watch the guy or gal that tosses a burning Cigarette
out the window at you. NOT BECAUSE OF BAD MANNERS...IT ELLS YOU THEY DO NOT EVEN KNOW YOU ARE THERE AND MOST LIKELY WILL CUT IN YOUR LANE.
Don't I know it!

I was on my Blade at night several years ago and this bobo in a convertable flicks his butt over his sholder which hit me square in the visor (down thank god).

The shower of sparks got his attention in the mirror as the butt bounced of my visor.

I launched into the attack but as I came up along side to punch off his wing mirror and plant my boot in his door the look of terror on his face with the realization of what he had done almost had me falling off in a fit of laughter. I setteled with wagging my finger at him and riding off.

Thinking about this years later the idea of attacking a car with a bike is not really a sensible thing. If things had gone bad I could have ended up crash/burn on the side of the road.

I suppose what I'm trying to say In my long winded, round about way is one of the best bits of advice I can offer is: Try to keep a cool head no matter what, acting on angry impulse can get you into 7 kinds of poop before you realize. The angrier you get the stupider you will act.

Stay cool
Ross
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092306046 -->

GroundZero... there are many posts about insurance on the boards... and by the looks of you you have a screaming good deal on insurance. I am 33, 2 tickets, no acciddents and I pay about $1200 a year via Progressive. State Farm has by far the best rates, but you have to have an auto and no more than one ticket to insure with them. FYI

To Mackhomie,

The torque took me quite a while to master at low speeds, like 90 degree right turns from stop signs. The bike wants to GO, so a little too much on the throttle can throw you wide.........into oncoming traffic and into your teenage funeral.
Man you are so right here. You have to know how to finesse the gas in these situations. I turned wide a few times (not into the opposite lane) but wider then I wanted too.

URBAN COWBOY

With each day you will become wiser, looking back on yesterday will instill wisdom, but why do we have to wait a day?? Learn from others and think...Be ready for anything..I have been riding for 18 years and I look back at how I used to ride.. What was I thinking. Now I still have fun just think first. Tickets will cost you dearly with this bike...Sure would hate to see someone sell their bike because you can't afford the insurance....Other note. Haven't tried this yet but heard that you can pay a bond on a ticket. Maybe not all states. This might mean paying double the fine but insurances don't find out about it so no rate increase. Just a thought. Ride Fast and safe

I HAVE BEEN RIDING 40 YEARS NOW AND HAVE CRASHED WAY
TOO MANY TIMES.MANY SURGERIES AND MONTHES IN HOSPITAL.
TIPS
WEAR THE BEST PROTECTIVE GEAR YOU CAN AFFORD AND GO THE WHOLE 9 YARDS,BOOTS,GLOVES,PANTS,JACKET,CHEST AND SPINE PROTECTORS.YOUR FRIENDS WILL HARASS YOU ABOUT IT BUT IT IS YOUR ASS NOT THEIRS WHEN YOU CRASH.SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO DECIDE HOW TO CRASH NOT IF BUT HOW BECAUSE OF THE SITUATION IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO SLIDE THAN IMPACT A CAR OR WHATEVER.IF YOU ARE WEARING YOUR GEAR YOU CAN KEEP THINKING UNTIL IT IS OVER IF YOU ARE NOT WEARING YOUR GEAR YOU WILL FREEZE UP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR HEAD,LEG,SKIN ETC.
NO ALCOHOL,MOST OF MY CRASHES INVOLVED DRINKING WHEN I WAS YOUNGER
CARRY TIRE GAUGE AND CHECK TIRES OFTEN,ALSO WARM UP TIRES BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING EXTREME.
BUY A USED BIKE FIRST BECAUSE YOU WILL CRASH HOPEFULLY NOT BAD BUT EVERYONE DOES A FEW TIMES AT FIRST IT IS WHY MOST PEOPLE QUIT AFTER ONE BIKE
KEEP YOUR HEAD,READ TWIST OF THE WRIST BY KEITH
CODE,KEEP LEARNING ALL THE TIME,USE COMMON SENSE
GOOD LUCK

I've yet to meet a teenager who took advice but here's my two cents:

#1. Don't buy a busa ... the learning curve for a novice is too steep and you may not survive it.

#2. Ignore #1 cos I know you're gonna buy one anyway... so,

#3. Wear the best protective clothing you can get...European stuff is way ahead of what you can get here in the states....Gericke etc.

#4. Treat everything on the road like it's being driven by a blind idiot...If you don't try to kill yourself ...I know they will try to do the job for you.

#5. When you're in a corner that's coming too fast...lean some more...the bike will go over...and look where you want to go....

In my experience a busa in novice/foolhardy hands can get you into serious trouble very quickly....and then some.

Oh...Welcome to the crazy fast world of Hayabusa

I'm sitting here with a silly grin because I just registered and this is my 1st post. :-) A busa is on my immediate shopping list, but I'm not riding one yet. I do ride an 85 GS1150E and have been riding since 1971.

I have to agree with others that no matter how good one's intentions, a busa is not a good choice as a 1st bike.
Power corrupts and intent goes by the wayside. The bike can be beyond the skill level of a novice before they are aware they are in trouble. I also consider my 1150 too much for a new rider. As already said, taking a motorcycle safety course is the best money you can spend at this point. Chances are, it will save your life.

If I had to give one piece of advice for surviving on the street, It would be:

Learn to pay attention and FOCUS. Youre not paying attention if........ you dont know where everyone around you is, and where they will be in in 5 or 10 seconds, or who is in a position to take you out if there was a prize to be claimed for doing so. What is moving towards you on every side street and drive/alley in your path? What is their speed and when will they intersect your path? Where will you go if they dont stop and you are the target?

Just a few comments. :-)

Stop signs mean other drivers are supposed to stop. They dont mean they will. They also dont say look. Some drivers by habit stop, but they never look. Just because someone looks directly at you does not mean they see you, or if they see you, that they will not pull out in front of you. It is not a good idea to be the first across an intersection when a light changes from red to green. I have lost count of the number of times I have had a green light and someone has run the red. I would have had the right of way, but I would also be a decal now. Dont sit at red lights with the bike out of gear. You can be run over from behind by a cell phone soccer mom. When sitting at a light, have the bike in gear and pointed at your escape route should you need one. A flashing turn signal means the bulb is working. It does not indicate which direction the cage will take, or even if it will change direction.

Trust no one. You are the fox. Everything else is a hound.
You are the target.

I probably sound paranoid, maybe I am. :-) However, I am still around too. :-)

Practice being smooth,roll power on dont punch.Sqeeze brakes dont jab and learn about counter steering it is one of the most important tools you have when you get rolling.Busa is a lot of machine,true it will only do what you tell it but now and then if your not smooth you will give it the wrong message and the result may be a biiig surprise.Take your time and enjoy.32 yrs riding here and there is always something learned about machines and riders.Enjoy

<!--EDIT|SHODA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096414843 -->

Here's my contribution:

1) Do the Motorcycle Safey Foundation course. Lots of useful information and training for handling a bike at low speeds and in traffic.

2) When riding in the "real world" assume everyone else on the road is an idiot, and expect them to do really stupid things (you will not be disappointed.)

3) When riding in the "real world" assume that you too will occasionally do really stupid things.

4) Allow enough space between you and other drivers/riders to allow for their stupid maneuvers, and for your own stupid maneuvers.

5) Don't be afraid to allow yourself a margin of error when cornering (unless you want to be really afraid...)

6) Practice emergency maneuvers in a car park/piece of open land so you know what happens when you have to go heavy on the brakes/swerve to avoid the elephant in the road etc.

Some general observations:

Unlike car drivers:

1) You can't eat a burger and drink coffee while riding.

2) You can't apply makeup/brush your hair while riding.

3) You can't yap on the phone and be oblivious to your surroundings while riding.

4) If you forget to balance, you WILL fall over...

Back