Cofused on lowering...

mrnyc01

Registered
I put this in another thread.. but I think it was dead. (I am not a rapper :rofl:)

Anyways...

Hey... thinking of lowering mine also. Read a lot of replies on how much to lower. But my question is this. Because the stock height is natrually lower in the front than in the rear, if I was to say lower the SAME amount in front and rear, wouldn't is still sit higher in rear? I know.. confusing. But what I am saying is that if I lower 2 inches in front and 2 inches in rear, wouldn't the bike still sit lower in the front because of the design? I assusme if I went say 2 inches in front and 3 inches in the rear, that would make it kinds "level".

Is it best to keep the back higher no matter how much you drop it? Should you drop it the same amount front AND back?

Also how da hell do you go UP in the rear? I have read guys say that they went UP 2 inches in the rear.... over stock?

If you "level it out", your handling will go to hell.

The reason some guys raise the rear is to improve handling. I raised mine 1" past stock at the rear and lowered the front 1".

To raise the rear you need these: 1999-09 Hayabusa 1" Raising Links Dog Bones GSX1300R - eBay (item 250539388341 end time Apr-23-11 06:09:39 PDT)

Interesting.. I never knew you could raise the rear. Can you post a pic of yours? I would love to see what it looks like. Maybe I will just leave my rear and lower my front a little.

The ONLY reason I want to do this if for looks. :whistle: Busa's just look badass lowered.

Busa's just look badass lowered.
Don't lower it if you like going around corners. Lowering is good if you ride in traffic a lot, though.

Ummm...I don't think I have any pictures since I raised it...and it's 2.35AM here, so I don't feel like going outside to get some!

You can get raising links or buy a 55 vs. 50 rear tire to gain a little height.

OP - when you change the height of the suspension you change more than just the height. If you just want to look cool or need to lower the bike to reach the ground go ahead but understand that you've changed the way the bike handles. Hard parts will touch the ground sooner.

:deadhorse:

You can get raising links or buy a 55 vs. 50 rear tire to gain a little height.

OP - when you change the height of the suspension you change more than just the height. If you just want to look cool or need to lower the bike to reach the ground go ahead but understand that you've changed the way the bike handles. Hard parts will touch the ground sooner.

:deadhorse:

Deg... ok... I will get more info to see if this is what I want to do. I think if I DO lower it, I will get the hex adjustable lowering kit for the back. So I can just turn it back up to stock if I don't like.

Deg... ok... I will get more info to see if this is what I want to do. I think if I DO lower it, I will get the hex adjustable lowering kit for the back. So I can just turn it back up to stock if I don't like.

It only takes minutes to change out once you've done it. My thing is , if you like to hit the corners leave it alone, maybe adjust the suspension for your weight and that's it.

ok first off yes if you lowe the same it will look the same just lowe ,,,

and as stated if you like the corner carving dont mess with it just set up suspention for you ,, as far as it killing your handleing ,, i have to say it dont ,, you loose clr couse your lower but it still handles fine,,

my bike is lowered in the back stock front and i have a 3-9 over swing arm,, for me i like it the bike handles fine and i can still get threw the corners ,, now givein it may not be as good as stock or as good as a gsx1000r but it works for me ,, its still all on what you want and like

I lower mine in the rear to take the weight off my wrists. Helps even more when I ride two up, since my wife does not smash me when stopping that way

Thanks All! It is making sense.

I am not into corners like "deals gap" and stuff. I live in Atlanta. Not too many corners here that are out of the ordinary.

I did talk to my buddy who also has a 01 Busa. He lowered his 1" in the front and 2" in the back. He has no problems with his here in Atl.

You can lower the rear And still corner just fine but not as good as stock . I have had my 3 Busa's lowered at least 1 1/2 in the rear and rode thru curvy roads in Arkansas at the MNG's and did fine . You have to re-adjust your riding style a little bit .

i didn't think you could lower the front 2" thought 1" was the max (for safety reasons)

gen 1 you can lower till it hits the ground ,, but the gen 2 you can only go 3/4 in front , befor you start to loose clamping surface .

the forks taper in or get smaller under the lowe triple tree , about 3/4

i did the same think lowered with bar clamp and realized the forks got smaller so i set it back to facotry in front sold the clamp and just lowered the back about 1.5 " ,, then streched it a bit so it looks good rides good , i set up my suspention as i rode and it seams to work well for me

good luck

Thanks All! It is making sense.

I am not into corners like "deals gap" and stuff. I live in Atlanta. Not too many corners here that are out of the ordinary.

I did talk to my buddy who also has a 01 Busa. He lowered his 1" in the front and 2" in the back. He has no problems with his here in Atl.

That will essentially level your bike and I like the way the Busa looks when lowered that way.

Ok... just talked to the guy who sold me my busa..an independant dealer. He said he thought it was already lowered. I told him there are no dogbones on it. But then I thought about the lowering dog bounds that only has 1 hole on either end.

Soooooo now my question is how can you tell if it's lowered already. I cant find anything on height in the specs. There my be 1 or 2" single hole dogbones on there already.. but I dont think so.

Can ya take a pic of the links? I've never seen single hole lowering links before.
The front may be lowered, pics of that will tell us for sure.
Trade ya, pics for answers. :thumbsup:

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

You can lower the rear And still corner just fine but not as good as stock . I have had my 3 Busa's lowered at least 1 1/2 in the rear and rode thru curvy roads in Arkansas at the MNG's and did fine . You have to re-adjust your riding style a little bit .

You were just more tired than the guys with the stock Busas. Lowering the rear more than the front will make the bike feel heavier in the twisties.

Back